Trump vs. Freedom Caucus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, here's something Trump can do that no other Republican leader (so far as I can tell) has ever had the guts to do before; he's now gunning directly for the Freedom Caucus. His latest Twitter rant:

Yes, that's right: Trump is telling some Americans not to vote for their Republican representatives in 2018. This is, I think, kind of unprecedented...

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

A house divided cannot stand. :D

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

Trump is in the process of neutering himself politically. No way to say you're fired to congress. He has much to learn if that's possible.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's tricky to predict how this is going to game out, especially eighteen months from now. If Trump was actually successful, and managed to arrange the defeat of a couple of dozen Freedom Caucus house members, and replace them with Ryan-centric Republicans, and everything else stayed the same, then they could, indeed, repeal the ACA and replace it with Ryan's horror show.

But that's going to be tricky. Republicans don't want to replace Caucus members with Republicans who are too moderate, as in being concerned about throwing hundreds of thousands of their constituents off the healthcare rolls. And they certainly don't want to split the Republican vote, essentially throwing the Seat to the Democrats.

And that's thing: It is pretty much inevitable that the Republicans will lose House seats in an off-year election. The President's party almost inevitably does that. The Republicans may not be looking at a Democratic Majority in December of 2018. But it's very likely they won't have as strong a House position as they do now. Trump seems to imagine a "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" scenario: A House Republican majority is that isn't too conservative, and isn't too Moderate. Just right. Impossible? No. Unlikely - yes.

But in the meantime, Trump is busy poisoning relations within his own party. Meaning it's going to be increasingly difficult for Ryan to marshall the sort of near-unanimous support he would need to overcome united Democratic opposition. And increasingtly likely that Democrats would be able to pick-off moderate Republicans from Blue States.

Of course, this may all change if Trump manages to score some foreign policy or economic coup. Bolstering his popularity and reputation as an effective President. But somehow I think the likelihood of that happening seems remote. Rather the opposite, in fact. Far more likely the Republicans will be going into the 2018 elections with a deeply disliked and distrusted President at their head.

Good luck with that one.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump is begging to be impeached. His latest tweet (a repeat) is suggesting a change in libel laws. He doesn't seem to realize that to test the law, he would easily be one of the first sued ;) Also - when it was suggested to him during the campaign (he made a similar suggestion) he said "maybe it's not such a good idea.. I hadn't thought of that."

The man is as erratic as a pigeon playing tic-tac-toe.

6. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Trump vs the Freedom Caucus?

More like Trump vs the Koch Brothers.

Trump is going to need the Freedom Caucus. Politically the Freedom Caucus Seats are safe, because most ultra conseratives want a Full Repeal, That is what the GOP promised!!

The Moderate Republicians Know they cannot just fully Repeal ObamaCare and throw people off medicare.

The Republicians are stuck, but they need to full repeal ObamaCare, because they need the tax savings (600 Billion+) so they can cut taxes, That is what they promise there donors, like the Koch Brothers, If you can't cut taxes for the top 1%. What good are you? That the reason why most people vote republican anyways. I need my tax bill lowered and the GOP controls the goverment and they can't even get that right!.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's a bargaining tactic. He's calling them out and will make the appearance he's taking a left turn to drive them back to the table. They either swoop in last minute and proclaim they're ready to play ball or they watch Trump pass bills far more liberal with the help of a few democrats (bipartisan bills-no I'm not on anything as I write this) while they watch everyone take victory laps. That's IF the democrats will play ball. In today's political climate one party could have the cure for cancer and the other wouldn't support it because it would mean so and so scored a victory, which in turn makes it that much harder to win a given seat. If Trump announced a plan that included a public option, I'm not sure the democrats would support it right now.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

This was a good quote I saw.. (I posted more here:https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...are-is-permanent.2038609/page-6#post-24436746)

“I’ve been in this job eight years, and I’m wracking my brain to think of one thing our party has done that’s been something positive, that’s been something other than stopping something else from happening,” Representative Tom Rooney of Florida said in an interview. “We need to start having victories as a party. And if we can’t, then it’s hard to justify why we should be back here.”

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....The freedom caucus is the tea party. How the **** are you going to get constituents who voted ideological extremists to vote for a more moderate republican? You won't, they're known a "RINOs" this time around. So what's Trump going to do, support people ever further off the spectrum to the right than the current Tea Party? If so, they'll never agree to a deal that isn't worse than the current deal.

It's almost like he has absolutely no concept of governing....

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump's a hot mess. And right now the best thing the Republican Party could do is cut him lose and find a way to impeach him. I'm not saying they will or that there's something (yet) to impeach him on. But he's an albatross.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That may be how he appears, but say what you will about him, he's a businessman who knows a thing or two about negotiation tactics. I believe that is what he is doing, not that he's "unstable" (he is, but this is different). You realize if he's gone, it's Pence. Which means the shoe is on the other foot. Pence and the freedom caucus will be trying to get moderate GOP members to support their bill, which will be a **** of a lot worse.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

At what point do we stop pretending he's got a master plan and is instead the reactionary infant he clearly is?

13. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

The Freedom Cacus has nothing to lose, They don't have to vote on anything, Plus they are getting Millions From the Koch Brothers,.

Donald Trump better play nice, because he is going to need to do Tax Reform and if they can't do that this year, He is going to be a Lame Duck President that pretty much got nothing done.

--- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2017 ---
    Yeah? Didn't he say he is going to make mexico pay for the wall? and at the end of the day its the US Tax Payers that are going to foot the bill?

There is a big huge difference when you are running your own business, and trying to run a goverment, Its NOT the same thing,

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He's calling out a subset of "his own party"? I'm not sure I see an issue with it, regardless of who's in office.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The notion that Trump will campaign for moderates is hilarious. How in the world would he ever manage that pivot? His entire base IS the base of the Freedom Caucus.

16. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

There's a problem with this, however: Trump has already applied this tactic once (when he tried to force a vote on the new health care bill), and failed to back it up; he showed that he was, in fact, bluffing.

Unless Trump goes all the way and actually backs up one of his many threats, nobody is ever going to believe him...

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No I don't think your going to see him going into anyone's district campaigning for anyone. We're talking about him calling out the freedom caucus on a bill.
    How did it backfire? He said I want a vote and when he was informed he didn't have the votes they decided to kill it. Listen, even Ryan is on record saying he's afraid this means he'll want to work with democrats (something Ryan said he doesn't want to do). His fear is that Trump isn't your "typical politician" where party trumps all (no pun intended). He's a results guy and will work with whoever allows him to get the job done and that scares the **** out of Ryan. The only thing likely holding Trump back is his COS and advisers.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Trump has gone past the Kochs. As far as money is concerned, he's on par with them, so the Kochs are basically useless when it concerns Trump and Bannon.

Now, this is where Bannon comes in and in the most disgusting way. Do some reading up on the Mercers. Financially, they are more well off than the Kochs, formed a media outlet with Bannon that would also supply Bannon with news to vilify any of Bannon's naysayers/opponents, or any candidate who Bannon opposes, and are far more dangerous than any Freedom Caucus.

Now that Bannon is in the White House, that makes it even worse. So read up on the Mercers, as well as any possible violations, as that could potentially be deemed as State-controlled media.

BL.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's almost as if he's telling them to vote for the promises they put in front of their voters.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Government is not a business. A lesson Trump seems to not understand yet. I assume you know this,however. I don't want Pence either. The Republican Party, however would be in more capable hands.
    He put in front of their voters as a mandate. They regurgitated the line. However - many need to be worried about midterms and the rest of their career. Trump doesn't care - he's set no matter what. He's made sure of it. Repealing isn't the issue. Replacing it is.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Republican law makers promised full repeal. Nothing about replace. This is one of the things I disagree on with Trump.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

How do you do a full repeal and not replace?

23. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Trump is a fake Billionare, The Koch Brothers are Real Billionares, They are worth over $40 Billion Dollars.

There money is ultra long!

24. samcraig macrumors P6