Trump vs Obama (Saved jobs)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Trump is getting credit by some for saving 1000 jobs by guaranteeing Carrier millions of dollars in tax breaks. So, he opened the door for more companies to make deals for tax breaks by claiming they will move out of the country.

Obama saved over a million jobs by bailing out the auto companies by giving them loans that they paid back.

Still some people think Trump makes the best deals and Obama did nothing.

"Auto bailout saved 1.5 million U.S. jobs -study. Dec 9 The federal bailout of General Motors Co, Chrysler and parts suppliers in 2009 saved 1.5 million U.S. jobs and preserved $105.3 billion in personal and social insurance tax collections, according to a study released on Monday"

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

And then there are the rest of us who don’t work for the auto or air conditioning industries. Should we still ravenously defend our side’s numbers while our personal life has changed by a factor of zero?

Obama saved/created a lot of low paying jobs. That doesn’t get talked about enough. Trump will do the same and it also won’t get talked about much either. Welcome to “at least I’m not homeless!” greatness.

3. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Is there a hat for that?

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No, Trump will make sure that everyone will talk about what he did. Even though he didn't do anything that great at all.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

No, but there's a tip jar at the end of the bar.

6. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Yup. The neoliberal doctrine implemented into policy by Reagan and Thatcher and continued by every president since has made the service economy the largest job sector in the country. This was further reinforced by the weakening of labor (yes I know some unions had and continue to have issues).

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Trump hasn't even taken office yet; why are we comparing him vs a 2-term president at this point in time?

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Because the accumulated achievements of both are comparable.

9. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Just pointing out how some people are falling all over themselves to congratulate Trump for this while they are the same people who said Obama accomplished nothing.

10. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

Can't believe i agree with sarah palin lol. "Crony capitalism"

11. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

The two statements can coexist. If all Trump does is save jobs, he won't have accomplished much either.

12. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

The Federal Government lost $9B on the auto bailouts.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ederal-government-lost-auto-bailout/21019899/

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't really care about 1000 jobs, it's a good effort depending what the details are. I see no problem in levying defense contracts against keeping US jobs in a perfect world.

The auto bailout did save the big 3, and was something the republicans strongly opposed if I remember correctly. Had McCain won, I would think they would have done it anyways. In hindsight it did work, cost aside, in terms of preventing the failure of GM/F/C, my only niggle would be that Obama merging Chrysler with Fiat for exchange of money is possibly unethical, and more importantly he couldn't have picked a worse company.

Not surprisingly (if you're privy to the automotive industry) today Chrysler and FCA is doing horribly, largely due to their reliability tanking after switching to Fiat electrical systems. I can't think of a single Fiat chassis-derived FCA models that isn't on someone's blacklist for poor reliability and being an all around awful product vs. the competition. Right now they have only a few worthy cars- Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, RAM pickup line, and maybe the Chrysler 300 and debatably the Jeep Cherokee (though I'd say no).

But as a non-partisan calling out the elephant in the room, Mr. Trump is not yet president and his impact on the economy is yet to be seen. It's an unreasonable standard to hold anyone to. I didn't want to see Trump as our president, but have zero sympathy for the complaining of what someone hasn't done when they haven't even stepped in the door. Conversely, holding Trump as the messiah of business because he may have effectively saved 1,000 jobs prior to the start of office demonstrates a severe and niave overconfidence.

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Honestly its mostly stupid to blame or thank the president for the economy anyway and in a lot of cases the wheels were already set in motion before they took office, and I’m talking on a much larger scale than whatever win Trump thinks he singlehandedly pulled off. Business is going to do what business is going to do regardless and about the only thing that puts them in check is consumers being unable or unwilling to spend money. The government is just a distraction and scapegoat in most of this.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

16. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

How much was the Carrier deal? $7000 per job? From Indiana and not the Fed's?

Sounds like both sides are complaining for no reason.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

18. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Economy for more Jobs
    or
    More jobs for a better economy

Which is priority?

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Someone please cement the goalposts in place next time!

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought the debate was how not to waste money.
    I'll add to that, low paying jobs to pad the numbers, or skilled jobs?

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

People vote and complain about parties. No matter who is at the helm... If they did something good enough it will be classified as a fail for the other side 9/10.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

People complain but the same people get reelected. So it doesn't matter as nobody cares or pays attention.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

What do you mean same people? Same two parties? If you mean voting for other parties then this year all of the third party options were worse prepared than the 2.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I mean elected officials. Every election cycle people complain about the people yet they get reelected.