Trump vs. Puerto Rico?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Man, Trump's "enemies list" is a lot deeper than I'd thought. His latest twitter screed:

Democrats are trying to bail out insurance companies from disastrous #ObamaCare, and Puerto Rico with your tax dollars. Sad!​

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...8?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

So, ok, Puerto Rico is now another group trying to destroy America. I hadn't realized that Trump had it in for the Puerto Ricans, but I guess he's got some sort of a history with them...

2. Zenithal Suspended

Anyone want to take bets on him thinking Puerto Rico is a lone country and doesn't know it's a territory of the US?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump is just scared that the Dems will be able to do something/anything when it's clear he can't. Even owning the senate and house. It's kind of funny but more sad.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

If that happens the Republicans will be in trouble bigly after 6 years of trying to repeal it and as soon as they get a viable chance they slop together an alternative that only appeals to the rich. The incompetence is breathtaking.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Puerto Rico, in spite of highly favorable tax policies from Congress and beaucoup subsidy, is broke and is defaulting on paying interest on their government bonds. They've been begging for a bailout. Even if the interest payment money is given to them, the fiscal problems will continue to exist.

7. solipsism macrumors 6502

solipsism

LOL It's both unsurprising yet unbelievable how right you were so many months ago.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I truly believe Trump only cares about himself.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Sure. Yet, it's unclear whether PR is an incorporated or unincorporated Territory. If it was made a State it would have to balance it's budget. Still, the point of the thread was that Trump blames a Fiscally-troubled Territory, crippled by a hurricane, as an albatross. Not too Presidential imo...

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hurricane isn't what got them in debt, and it shouldn't be how they get out either.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

There’s a time and place for everything. But, he used Brawny towels there, not store-brand, so he’s done his job.

12. Zenithal Suspended

I think it's quite disappointing. It's best to be nonchalant about his outbursts and his stupidity, but it sometimes feels impossible.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 22, 2017 ---
    He didn't. They were generic brands.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Well, they were very soft according to him.

His words, not mine.

14. Zenithal Suspended

Yep. Brawny is one of the best, especially the thicker sheet varieties. However, for grease or oil pickup, I prefer the shop variety of Scott towels. There's a few grades, the thickest grade is the best. It's almost rag like. They have a distinct blue color to them. The darker the blue, the better grade it is.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yes, because some old shipping law meant to protect jobs in the US mainland ports increases the costs of imports massively. In any case, of course they'll need to be bailed out. But it is not exactly like the people of PR are swimming in wealth. What are we to do? Let them languish in poverty with poor infrastructure?

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Perhaps they need to clean up their "leaders" locally? Have a number of friends and peers in PR (east side) and their biggest gripe is the lack-a the local politicians are showing. Serious infighting, finger pointing, and Me Me Me. They aren't caring what DT is spouting. It's the roadblocks the local politico's are throwing up. Of course they don't want to become a state - too much of the corruption would no longer be allowed (aka public funds).

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sounds like Congress...

Well certainly any federal funds should be spent as they are earmarked, and the money trail should be audited better than, say, the money trail in the Pentagon. I don't think anybody is proposing simply to write a blank check - there has to be a viable plan for sustainability. As for statehood, it makes sense but I cannot see the Congress allowing it even if PR applied, for it would tip the political balance.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Amateur hour Congress style :eek:

That is a lot of the problem in PR - funds that are used or applied into the "Public Funds" bucket have minimal oversight which is mostly run by those who are "dipping".
    As for statehood, most want it. Problem is getting the vote out (think less than 25% last time). Most want it because of the fiscal mismanagement and more Puerto Rican's live on the mainland than on the island. Still, think it is a ways off....