Trump wants to put an end to weather satellites

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Sounds to me like a responsible action to save taxpayer money. Whether business or personal, the real world has to cut back once in a while, dig a little deeper and make ends meet. What is wrong with asking the same from your government?
Nothing as long as the cuts make sense and don't harm safety. So when is Trump going to cut back on the near weekly trips to Florida?
[doublepost=1488672920][/doublepost]
This is basically what proposed funding cuts to NOAA would do. Restrict launching and operations of americas weather satellites that keep us safe from deadly weather outbreaks.
Pppft. We don't need satellites. Just stick your finger in the air and see which way the wind blows. Much like how he is running the White House. :D

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Shocking since he has a lot of beach front golf courses, I don't think he would want to see those destroyed.
He's old and doesn't care what happens after he dies. I think even in the absolute worst case scenario projections there will be no major change in sea level during the time he is likely to remain alive.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Nothing as long as the cuts make sense and don't harm safety. So when is Trump going to cut back on the near weekly trips to Florida?
[doublepost=1488672920][/doublepost]

Pppft. We don't need satellites. Just stick your finger in the air and see which way the wind blows. Much like how he is running the White House. :D
Deflection noted!

Reactions: Meister

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Deflection noted!
What deflection are you referring too? I agree with you!

However you might have deflected off the wasteful spending that Donnie boy is incurring. If you believe in cutting wasteful spending, surely you cannot be happy about weekly trips to Florida.

Reactions: Eraserhead

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
What deflection are you referring too? I agree with you!

However you might have deflected off the wasteful spending that Donnie boy is incurring. If you believe in cutting wasteful spending, surely you cannot be happy about weekly trips to Florida.
I would think you guys would be happy with him not in the White House.......Unless you're worried he's working. ;)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I thought he was chicken little. The sky is always falling.
Well we won't know now will we when Trump cuts that budget.

Plus Trump seems more like Chicken Little, he is the paranoid one. Hell he thinks his office is bugged.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
Well we won't know now will we when Trump cuts that budget.

Plus Trump seems more like Chicken Little, he is the paranoid one. Hell he thinks his office is bugged.
what do you mean. Trump will cut the budget and the magic government tax dollars will no longer stop the sky from falling. We will all be crushed by the lack of government funding.

Reactions: webbuzz

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Why doesn't he cut the bloated programs like most of those in defense. I guess he really doesn't care about making america great again. He just wants to see it suffer.
He only knows what he can see personally.
He can see a M-1 tank or F-35, cant see satellite.

NOAA should cut all outgoing weather feeds to all news agencies, say it is due to budget cuts.

THEN after a few days offer it up for huge amounts, saying they need to pay for the service.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT

NOAA should cut all outgoing weather feeds to all news agencies, say it is due to budget cuts.

THEN after a few days offer it up for huge amounts, saying they need to pay for the service.
The guy also can't seem to see commonsense, maybe he should cut himself.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
The NOAA Doppler will still be funded. So you are saying that noaa should be negligent. You progs are always so willing to waste tax payer money.

Collect the the weather budget and not provide weather data.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
what do you mean. Trump will cut the budget and the magic government tax dollars will no longer stop the sky from falling. We will all be crushed by the lack of government funding.
and he will spend what he cuts on his weekly vacations on his absent wife and kids security and on the war machine.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

This is a great idea, then we can fire the politically motivated ones and hire someone who actually wants to do the job.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
I wonder if Trump is aware of the fact of historical weather patterns is still and always will be a "prediction" and its how and why weather changers/forecasters today can't even get it right due to the 'unexpected' behavior.

You cannot improve on something that has not actually happened yet. I just see this as one expensive mistake.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
But the agency’s satellite data division would lose 22 percent of its funding, or $513 million.

So 22% of NOAA's satellite budget is over half a billion dollars, what does that make the other 78%?

Somewhere around 1.821 Billion?

I know, it's rough to have to scrape by on that:rolleyes:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
But the agency’s satellite data division would lose 22 percent of its funding, or $513 million.

So 22% of NOAA's satellite budget is over half a billion dollars, what does that make the other 78%?

Somewhere around 1.821 Billion?

I know, it's rough to have to scrape by on that:rolleyes:
Take a 22% cut out of your salary and see what happens.

Bonus if you're already living paycheck-to-paycheck (which is what agencies really end up doing; none of them have their own savings account or IRA).

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
This is basically what proposed funding cuts to NOAA would do. Restrict launching and operations of americas weather satellites that keep us safe from deadly weather outbreaks.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2017/0304/Budget-cuts-to-NOAA-threaten-climate-monitoring-satellite-program
The satellites don't protect us from weather outbreaks. Forecasting attempts to predict future weather. And it's usually wrong. Usually the weather people are wrong about the weather at the current moment. Future predictions are less accurate than my looking at the sky and saying it looks like tomorrow should be a nice day.

Right now I'm supposed to be in the middle of a two weeks of hurricane force winds that wouldn't let up. And it's supposed to be freezing cold outside. That's what the weather people predicted Last weekend.

But instead, we're experiencing better weather than we've seen in 6 months. It's almost like a nice calm summer break in the middle of winter.

When the satellites can alter the weather, then you can say that they protect us from weather outbreaks.

Do you know what NOAA does? And what cutting it's funding would do to weather forecasting?
My experience is that weather forecasting is usually wrong. I get better results looking out the window.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
I would think you guys would be happy with him not in the White House.......Unless you're worried he's working. ;)
Why would I be happy that taxpayers are paying for trips to his safe space once a week? He wants to go down to Florida every weekend? Fine. Chip in for the cost.

Time for some new laws to be written regarding presidential conduct. We are way too lax on letting a President have financial conflicts, not show taxes, and go on as many vacations as they want on taxpayer dime. Time to reign it in and drain the swamp.

Reactions: MacNut and arkitect

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Living on the west coast, the worst we experience is strong rainfall once every decade or the occasional earthquake, and our universities do a fair amount of research in it. I say cut the funding. Let the weather system stale. So when the next big hurricane or tornado rips through the middle US and people in mass numbers die, I can laugh at this administration for being stupid.

If his supports can't grasp why we need weather data so often, then anything that happens to them is something they fully deserve. I really do not care if I sound like an ******* right now.
[doublepost=1488713396][/doublepost]
No need for NOAA. I buy the Farmer's Almanac.
The accuracy is so-and-so more-so because they're incredibly vague. I've got FAs from the 2000s, 1990s, 1980s and ones from different decades that were kept. They're like having your fortune told, or better yet, a fortune cookie. They're not reliable.