Trump wants to put an end to weather satellites

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Mar 4, 2017.

1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The closest thing there is to eternal life, is a government program.

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Kinda funny he wants to cut NOAA satellites but wants another moon mission...

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I hope that you realized that I was joking

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Amazing because that's what I get out of President Trump.

5. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Because $900 wrenches and $35,000 toilet seats for the Pentagon makes more sense to defense contractors.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Breaking News - He made another tweet so he obviously hates Facebook and wants to put them out of business so the kids of Facebook employees starve to death. He wants to murder kids. :rolleyes:

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

He obviously hates working if he has time for vacation and tweeting.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, being from New York rather than than hurricane-prone the Gulf Coast and mid-Atlantic states (or the tornado-probe Midwest for that fact), Trump probably doesn't see the need for early warning about the weather.... oh wait....

[​IMG]
    (hurricane Sandy's impact on Queens, source)

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

And why would NYC need a coastal defense system. We don't need Wall St anymore.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I might be wrong, but haven't storms (hurricanes, tornadoes, thunder storms, etc.) killed more people in the US than ISIS and al-Qaeda put together?

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the words you are thinking of is "legal guns". But ya Tornadoes do kill more people on US soil than ISIS.

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Maybe he really does more substantive work by noon on Wednesday than other recent Presidents, frozen by politics like Buridan's ass, would do in a month.

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Well we know how productive those 6 am bowel movements are.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

It's becoming harder and harder to discern whether you're joking or thinking you've snapped.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

$1 Billion a year for Funding, or say $50 Billion in damages for a Storm like Sandy. To say nothing of Droughts and the fact that Miami is slowly going under water. You do the math.

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

We do?

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

The problem could still lie in the eye of the beholder.

Now, using the Farmer's Almanac for serious weather forecast would be a major snap... if I ever go that far send me to the funny farm.

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Guess you never heard about Trumps twitter.

20. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Nope haven't. Apparently you've got your nose deep in the know. You can keep it all to yourself though. I'm pouring another martini and checking on the steak and corn.

21. Zenithal macrumors G3

Or the person writing the questionable material.

22. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Funding weather satellites isn't going to stop the storms from destroying buildings. And it isn't going to do anything about land going underwater.

We already know which areas get hit by storms frequently. And people continue to build and rebuild and live right in the path frequently traveled and ripped apart by storms. Funding weather satellites isn't going to change that.

People choosing to live in places that aren't constantly hit by storms would decrease the lives and property taken by said storms.

Satellites won't save their houses. Building their houses in safer locations would save their houses.

Let Mother Nature have the land that she frequently reclaims.

If weather prediction was accurate, I'd be sitting in hurricane force winds and freezing my a$$ off. Instead, I'm enjoying a week of nice calm sunny days. So much for two weeks of white out conditions and snow storms with wind ripping the town apart. I haven't seen an accurate weather forecast in 40+ years. I'm not worried about the prospect of not having as many weather satellites in operation.

Satellites are just our way of creating a junk yard in space. It's time we slow down until we can reclaim the orbiting junk yard and recycle it.

23. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

yes never had accurate weather predictions so we should just give up/ then a far amount of people should move to get away from the weather. well this is a much better solution to save money then launching less weather satellites. we should really go back to asking god to take care of the weather for us.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well...yes and no. Weather satellites won't stop storms from destroying buildings in an acute way, but with modeling from the data - we can build better defenses against said storms (or what have you) saving countless taxpayer dollars.

Your second point is interesting, as the NFIP provides flood insurance to many who would otherwise not get coverage - but they are badly in debt - and it will only get worse. You can't expect people to vacate vast tracts of land, especially when places hit will change - hence the data-gathering by satellites - so as to better formulate a response.

I think a lot of people look at this issue and think of the local weatherman that (often) gets it wrong. There's a lot more complexity and science in there - hell, private insurers compile data from this - to establish their cost-benefit analysis. Are you really advocating a position in 2017 that weather (and the repercussions) are best handled by laypeople going outside or looking out the window?

25. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Really? Science is a left right issue? Are you so far gone that collection of science data to make smart decisions based on fact is a partisan issue.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2017 ---
    Dang would love to see Mara Laga under water.