Trump wants to start charging stores to accept food stamps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by forcesteeler, Jun 7, 2017.

1. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

2. Zenithal Suspended

Must suck to be poor and in a red state, and be a Trump supporter now. LOL

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It will suck to live in an urban ghetto or rural village where there's only bodegas now anyway, and the bodegas close because they're that close to closing already (and before Trump's import tax jacks upported foods).

The UN will be airlifting US-provided emergency food supplies to poverty pockets in the USA? Nice photo ops.

I really don't get how the GOP keeps doing stuff like this or letting it happen and expect to come out ok in 2018.

4. Zenithal Suspended

Because the typical far righter will say "as long as the people I dislike are suffering, too, I don't mind." That's how, Liz. That's how.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I dunno. Trump's poll numbers do keep inching down. Whoever in the left-behinds voted for Trump will never vote for a Clinton and maybe never a Democrat, but they may not be taken in by a savior-type strongman again any time soon either. My friend who voted for Trump and had expressed some dismay even in January has kinda dodged making time for a lunch break together, past the usual time we don't manage to get our calendars in sync... I think she's really mortified now. I already told her hey at least you voted for him in New York...

We'll probably see a drop in general election turnout next time around if some candidates with some credibility on the ground already don't end up on the fall ballots.

"Pols... pfffft... all the same". If that happens I will be distressed because really, it's not true.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Not a good way to ease the many issues with the food stamp program.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Not this conservative.

This is a pretty slimy and underhanded way to cut the food stamp program.

If funding needs to be reduced because the need has shrunk, that's fine. But do it based on decreased need, not some bogus "fee" designed to discourage retailers from participating (which is all this is).

According to the article, its meeting opposition from both sides of the isle so it should die a quick death hopefully.

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

Not surprising. Same guy who used OPM donated to his foundation to pay fees for a charity event at his golf clubs. If you'll steal from kids with cancer the food insecure disabled, elderly and impoverished are fair game too.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You know what? My friend kept trying to use "but I voted for him in Jersey so I was cancelled out" as an excuse, but it doesn't fly with me. The intention is still there. Eventually, he finally admitted it was a stupid mistake and he regrets it.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah but I'm trying to salvage a friendship here.. She already copped to regret. Now she's so embarrassed she doesn't want to have lunch in case I might say something like "so NOW what you do you think about your buddy Trump." I have to get her back in the lunch habit and then somehow drift around to where we can both dish on the SOB while having our tomato soup and grilled cheese. We used to dish on '43 that way and she voted for him too and wasn't even sorry, just was willing to call him out over Iraq.

12. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm sorry to hear your relationship is strained over this. I don't think politics, especially national politics, are worth losing friends over. Hopefully you two can patch things up.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Some problems are real, mainly people abusing the system damaging people that actually need it. I don't think that the food stamp program is a mess as some people say. It simply needs to be made a little bit more effective somehow so that the service can work even better.
    I am a supporter of food stamps, they are a sad necessity in our society and the program can and does help many people to survive. Heck, I would even expand it to cover unemployment benefit recipients that make less than $1500 a month (with a family) for the first three months of employment because that's when newly unemployed individuals need help the most to focus on finding a job asap.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I agree with all of this. We all have anecdotal stories of people using food stamps to buy lobster and steak but overall, the program works. It could be more efficient, but we should tweak it to cut down on the small incidents of fraud/waste. No need to make clumsy, poorly-thought-out cuts to it.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The numbers seem kinda high but it doesn't seem nuts to me that processing fees comparable to normal card processing fess apply. Perhaps they already exist and these are on top of that which I wouldn't agree with.

These days I think I'd generally prefer if governments supplied good and services as opposed to money/pseudo money but that might be a bit too radical for people.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

SNAP is about corporate welfare as much as individual. Bring back the pantries with nothing but staple foods.

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Anecdote time:

Elderly folks I know on food stamps have a card that is over 10 years old and totally worn out, the magnetic strip doesn't work anymore, and it's a huge hassle to use. For some reason, these things never expire. They asked for my help to get a replacement card. Boy is it difficult to do anything with that office.

SNAP won't send a replacement card, you have to go to an office in person to get one. But you can't do it right away, you have to cancel the existing card first, then you can apply for a replacement card, wait to be approved, and finally go and get one in person. The expected wait time to get a replacement card is 3 weeks, if everything is in order.

So to get a replacement card: a poor person has to have enough money saved up to go 3 or more weeks without assistance, all their paperwork in order, and pay for either public transit or gas or whatever to get to their nearest SNAP office (which by the way might be quite far and open only during business hours, thereby causing them to miss scheduled work hours or childcare responsibilities).

And this isn't even for getting food! This is for a simple customer service issue!! I think it's very illustrative of the issues with SNAP which show the program needs more investment to get up to speed on technology and service, in order to make tomorrow's service more efficient. How is that Bank of America can mail a replacement debit card in a matter of days, but SNAP can't? The lady on the phone said they don't have funding for mailing cards, and anyway their card-making system is so old that it can't connect to the internet anyway, which is why every replacement card has to be processed by paper and hand. It's crazy!

Needless to say, the elderly folks decided to just keep having the cashier at the grocery store manually punch in the numbers (costing the store and everyone behind them in line their time) rather than risk going for weeks without a card and having to travel a few towns over (which is physically difficult for them).

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I propose a Trump Mar-a-largo/golf trip fee. If we need to make up a shortfall in food stamps, then we also need to recoup the cost of Trump's excesses as well. Why should fees only be on the backs of the poor and those that serve them?

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You think Wal-Mart and other grocers accept SNAP for altruistic reasons?

22. HEK Suspended

HEK

Besides a right winger knows being poor, going bankrupt, being stuck in looser job, are fault of the poor. See the rich always think they did it all themselves. They got rich in a vacuum, on an island, no infrastructure, no customers to bilk, money just came to them cuz of how good a Christian they are........right.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    Still waiting for my coal mining job, by the way.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Tighten up!

24. HEK Suspended

HEK

Have been tightening up. Added extra holes to my belt already, sinching it tighter.