Trump warns Central American countries he'll withhold funds over immigrant 'caravan'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Oct 16, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Trump certainly is being a busy little Twitter beaver tonight. Someone should break his thumbs before they do some lasting damage. Now he's threatening Central American countries that allow refugees to pass through their countries on their way to the US border, (where they could apply for sanctuary). This guy is a real piece of work. He expects every other country out there to bow to his will. Hope they ignore him. That would teach him a lesson.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...l-american-countries-hell-withhold-funds-over

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

3. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

No reason they couldn't continue to the border and apply for asylum in the US. We're a big country with a good economy and low crime (unlike the countries they're fleeing). We have historically been a pretty welcoming country for refugees. I, as an American, see no need to change that, regardless of what dullard is in the White House or who he is supported by.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Drumb his "wall" base up. Little else, no logic.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

Mexico would prob toss them in jail or send them packing in reverse.. Come here and get free rent, free food, free medical, free education et al. Free, free, free!

6. raqball, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

The costs cover added expenditures for education, welfare, law enforcement, and medical care

When federal costs are included, the price tag nationally soars to $135 billion a year.

FAIR’s data also includes the offset of taxes paid by illegal immigrants, though the numbers are much lower. In the state and local column, they are $3.5 billion. Nationally they are $15 billion.

Overall, costs associated with illegal immigrants is much higher for state and local governments than the federal government. States pay $89 billion, Uncle Sam $46 billion.

The states paying the most to care for illegals:

1. California - $23,038,125,353

2. Texas - $10,994,614,550

3. New York - $7,489,141,357

4. Florida - $6,290,429,108

5. New Jersey - $4,466,838,574

6. Illinois - $3,220,767,517

7. Georgia - $2,487,719,503

8. North Carolina - $2,437,965,113

9. Maryland - $2,378,996,947

10. Arizona - $2,314,131,964

7. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

The primary purpose of a federal government is enforcing sovereignty; charity doesn’t make the list.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The total State Budget for Arizona for FY 2018 is $10.1 billion.

It seems implausible that Arizona spends almost a quarter of its total state budget, which includes almost $8 billion for public education, dealing with illegal aliens. Estimates are that undocumented persons make up about 4.9% of the State's total population.

Critical thinking is your friend.

9. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

Advocating such crimes against the President is illegal and as such in violation of the posting policy of this site.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Apparently, Trump needs to watch some documentaries of the insane dangerous paths people take just to reach America. I don't think Central American countries just let that happen in the open.

11. jerwin macrumors 68020

Sovereignty? That's absurd.

You must have a rather tame conception of "Sovereignty".

12. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Countries that stop itˋs citizen from leaving:

North Korea
    Cuba
    East Germany and the und rest of the east block till 1990

Read itˋs not their problem, and neither are people just passing through.......

13. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

So it’s more about economic gain than fear of staying in their country of origin. 80% who claim asylum are not granites. That includes the Obama years.

14. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Good. Campaigns for this publicly and you’ll likely hand Trump another presidential term.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, yeah but it'd be nice to see the credentials and history of those that wish to come here. Sorry but we dont need people just coming here to milk the US taxpayer and all that crap. They often bring their problems WITH them. No thanks. Why does it always fall on us? Besides, the left claims the USA sucks....so why do they encourage all these people to come here? Wouldnt one of the Utopias that they love be a better option?

Oh, wait.... thos places dont have taxpayers to suck dry. My bad. :rolleyes:

16. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Actually, that's the chant of the Right, cause if the country didn't suck, there would be no need to "make it great again." The Left has always believed it is a great nation.

17. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

It’s broader that just the USA, they claim western liberal civizilation “sucks”, which is why you see them promoting totalitarian anti-liberal ideologies(eg communism) all around the world.

18. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Eff it. Open the borders. Who cares? We have a big country, good economy and low crime! Better yet, move them all into Bel-Air, Valencia, Beverly Hills, your neighborhood etc.... Let the tax payers take good care of them....

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Same here. As long as they do it legally.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2018 ---
    Wow...how can the left not understand that something needs to be done here? We can't keep fitting this huge bill. Not to mention the security concerns for having a porous southern boarder.

20. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

That is taken from the plaque on the base of The Statue of Liberty.

America saw unprecedented growth and prosperity under this banner. Love always wins, and we always find a way to help those who are downtrodden because it's what we do. We are Americans. We engineer our way around these problems. We don't give up like this. We fight for freedom and prosperity and justice for all because it's the right thing to do, not because we have enough money to do so. It's more important to do the right thing than to do what is in our best interest at a specific moment in time because over the long term, doing the right thing is always the best choice one can make. It's why we have, or at least had, so many allies around the world. It's why we are one of the most prosperous nations on earth. It's why everyone wants to come here. The way you make America great again is you make America good again. And being good starts with doing the right thing and taking care of your fellow man. You can't put a price on that. This is who we are, and if we change who we are, then we are no longer Americans.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

A honduran refugee mob right in time for the mid-term elections? Wow what a coincidence!

22. raqball macrumors 68000

I am all for LEGAL immigration.. The ability to climb a fence and avoid US Border Patrol should not force the US taxpayer to foot the bill for their welfare et al benefits.....

Hop the fence on Monday and by Friday you are living large off the US taxpayer...

23. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

They keep adding restrictions on legal immigration, and it can be difficult to initiate that from the danger of your homeland. These are refugees, not someone from Germany or something trying to move over here for job opportunities or something.

Gavin Free, who is best known for the YouTube Channel with 10 million subscribers called The Slow Mo Guys, has spoken before about how difficult it was for him to come over to America from England. When he initially wanted to come over, he wanted to work for the Texas-based entertainment and video production company Rooster Teeth, which produce a lot of short films, podcasts, gameplay videos, and news content online. But it was a huge pain and they kept denying him—and he was British! He literally created the Slow Mo Guys channel so that he could gain notoriety so it would be easier for him to come over to the U.S. And he had already worked on movies such as the Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. And it worked, he works at Rooster Teeth today (I think they acquired his channel) but even he hasn't been able to get citizenship and, at least the last time I heard him talk about it a couple years ago, it seems like he is required to back to England from time to time for a while even though he owns a house and pays taxes over here. He basically has to marry his girlfriend to become a citizen.

And so if someone like him has that much trouble, just imagine the chances of some poor family from Venezuela or whatever getting through and navigating that whole legal process. It just won't ever happen. I agree that it would be better if we could use the legal process, as I'm all about following the rules myself, but what you're talking about is actually legal for asylum seekers. From a recent PBS story on the matter:

24. raqball macrumors 68000

Is this a joke or a serious statement? Sorry but I am genuinely confused so maybe you can clarify..

25. eatrains macrumors 6502

Yup, the rightwing bogeyman is indeed perfectly timed.