Trump: We took the farmer’s land away. We took the homebuilder’s land away. WTH?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jul 18, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yesterday Trump had some interesting comments. His speech was the usual rambling unfocused hot-in-a-blender-mess, but this in particular caught my eye:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...president-trump-made-america-product-showcase

What the blazing hell is he talking about? Took the homebuilder's land away? They have their land back now? He makes no sense. The man is so bizarre. Does he think the government came in and confiscated home building land that was recently given back and that homes are being built upon already in only a few months time? Is he talking about national parks that he seems to want to sell off and rape for profit? That hasn't happened yet, so even in this context does not make sense.

I also have no idea what he means with the farms either.

Any insight Trump defenders?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Did you see his comments about a transparent wall?

He appears to be in mental decline.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah I don't quite get the references to the farms. Maybe some EPA reg on land use? But that would not seem to fit in with the Made in America theme week. :confused: And probably not the time to mention China having bought up a lot of hog farming land in the midwest. At least he left that out. :D

Good of the Vice President to chip in his two cents when the President called on him:

[THE PRESIDENT]...And we have some governors here, and we have senators here, and we have congressmen here, and women -- and I will tell you, it’s a very, very hard time they’re having with the Obamacare situation. So we’re going to get that done, and I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people. But they’re pushing very hard. The Republican senators are great people, but they have a lot of different states. Some states need this, some states need that. But we’re getting it together, and it’s going to happen. Right, Mike?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yes, sir.

THE PRESIDENT: I think. (Laughter and applause.) And when it does happen, that will be a big day in America, believe me. A big day in America. ​

One could feel badly for Mike the yes man. But, he didn't have to say yes when asked to run for VP...

Trump's remarks were pretty rambling although he had citations in there from past Presidents so part of what he said must have been prepared. Sometimes he should just stick to scripts.

I am not sure the people who voted for him hear anything but what they want to hear when he speaks. And probably at this point the people who didn't vote for him are only focused on whatever legislation or EOs get signed. Probably just as well if people like Jeff Bezos or even Ivanka Trump happened to miss that swipe about "predatory online sales of foreign goods" -- imagine Ivanka thinking OK Dad, ease up there.. eeeezeeee.....

Whenever what he's signing is just a proclamation of some Theme Week, it could be cause for celebration on both sides of the aisle.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Pence was smiling and laughing throughout it all. I would love to hear the voices in his head because I'm pretty sure that voice is like a giddy child "keep on talking Donny - keep on talking. It won't be long now"

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sounds like being the President with the worst net approval rating in the first year of office is unhinging Trump. Swell.

7. zin macrumors 6502

He's talking about permits and regulatory changes for those things.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He wishes, maybe. The polls probably have to sink some more before Ryan would lift a pen to start trying to get their albatross to fly on out of the White House or face impeachment.

I wonder if Mueller will give Ryan a heads up of any sort, or they'll all just be doing mundane budget markups some morning when Mueller's press guy says oh btw at noon we'll be making some announcements...

With the luck of this White House that will be the same morning some new Theme of the Week has just been cut loose. The themes do keep getting stepped on by investigation-related news.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

land of the free,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as long as you have a permit for everything.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So what are we looking for, a country that says hey if you're canning tomatoes and you're running low on cash to pay the gas bill, it's ok to cold-can them and stick them on the truck, what's a little botulism among friends?

No permits, no inspections, everybody just do what they want? How about if I feel like scooping some dirt out the back of your quarter-acre because I need some clean fill for a little gully on my land?

These guys are trying to take us back to 1900 when the robber barons were ripping the place (and, us) off.

There must be a happy medium. What Trump's administration is proposing is a bulldozing of all regulations that get in the way of profit for the owners of capital. He couches this effort in words like "removing unduly onerous rules". Way they look at it, all rules are too restricting.

I like a lot of the rules we have and you probably do too when you get to thinking about it. Trump hopes no one thinks about it until they're signed away and forbidden from being brought up again (like some of the environmental rule rollbacks).

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

But he said that we gave them the land back. Does that mean we need less permits for these things now?

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

hard to find a happy medium with a gazillion regulations.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The land was never "taken away" to begin with, if Trump was talking about land use regs. But one may need permits for activity that can affect water quality in streams or ground water reservoirs. Say a dairy farmer wants to situate a manure pool near a creek at the edge of his property, might not get a water quality waiver and would have to site the pool farther away from that water.

I guess Trump figures to do away with all that sort of thing if he can get away with it. Apparently he can't, since some of the EOs he signed need legislation to conform existing legislation to his EOs. And, some of that Congress will decline to do.

The thing I mentioned about manure pools near streams, those waivers are usually issued by state environmental departments, but they cannot violate the federal clean water act provisions, so the federal law would have to be changed to let the manure pools be put wherever a farmer wants them.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2017 ---
    Well he has charged his agencies to go through and propose rules that should be rolled back. On the face of it, that's not an unreasonable mission. And to the extent they don't need backup from Congress to make existing law suit his rule changes, then the rules an agency says should be removed will be removed.

It's up to the voters to find out what those rule changes are, preferably not the hard way (which is what our representatives and assorted non-governmental watchdogs should be about ensuring). There's often the option to bring a lawsuit against removal of a rule. Or voters can ask the Congress to pass legislation that makes the rule moot and gives it force of law instead. However, there are already some laws about when that is permissible. So those laws would have to be changed first,,,, and on, and on, in the everlasting quest for that "happy medium". :D

I am sure there are some unncessary rules and laws on the books. Even litte towns have them, from way back when they were first made a town with ordinance-making powers. Once in awhile some old law comes to light and bites someone in the behind in some silly way, and then needs removal or amendment by the town council. I mean there have been instances of laws written that direct public roads go around the barns of Mr. So-and-So out on County Highway 41... those barns have been gone for 80 years but the road still has an S curve in it, and the law sits there biding its time past when a new Mr. So-and-So thought to build a nice little barn for his lawn tractor and snowmobiles in one of those curves. Wait til the county wants to straighten the road sometime. Lawyer heaven.

It's not surprising if we have obsolete rules on the books at federal agency level as well. No one reasonable objects to review of rules for irrelevancies and outmoded stipulations. What Trump's focus is, however, is taking out regulations that are fairly modern but that he and his ilk regard as having only one purpose: to restrict profit. I disagree with that approach and find it ludicrous anyone believes an agency, or Congress itself, would pass any law specifically for the sold purpose of preventing the making of profit by American businessmen.

So "happy medium"? Let's find it. But that's not Donald Trump's goal. He's not giving back land to farmers and telling them to farm. He's offering to let them build manure pools next to the headwaters of Americans' drinking water.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is what happens when regulations are too lax (but, hey, it's good for business):

[​IMG]
    Source: AFP Getty as described here.

15. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Then that is what he should state clearer. Instead he says "we" took away something, as if builders and farmers had their existing land confiscated at a previous date by someone, Trump magically gave it back, and now there are crops growing and houses rising on this land.

That just isn't the case.

And if you read the text of the entire speech...man, what a rambling mess. The man is completely unfocused. I don't see how anyone can support someone like that. This is why he is struggling to get things done. He literally is playing fireman truck driver like a little kid, instead of focusing on getting a major healthcare bill passed at a critical moment.

16. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I mean I knew Trump ran with the MAGA slogan, I didn't know he was referring to the 1800's.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You don't own land you merely long term lease it from the .gov.
    Wickard v. Filburn says that's a no no.
    Umm isn't that an example of government can't fix anything correctly? Government housing, government refurbishing, government approved "fire proofing".

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Makes sense to me. Doesn't that make sense to you?

19. HEK Suspended

HEK

Ha,ha,ha the idiot-in-chief squawks some nonsense and everyone on here anylizes it like Einstein just released unified field theory.

The Donald doesn't even know what he said. Hours later it changes. Has nothing to do with facts, history, actual events. This feces (****) pops in this head and spouts out of his mouth. He can't make more than one statement before he simply starts repeating himself. Just listen to him. Repeats same few words over and over. It's dillusional speak.

Debating what he meant, the meaning behind it is like getting sucked into a tornado of debris from a failing mind.

20. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Not really.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't even think you have to go that far up the chain to hit a law (as opposed to an agency rule) against selling cold-canned tomatoes. But hey, Trump's just getting started. He could pick a couple more justices for the Court and start filing test cases of laws he and his anti-reg pals thoroughly loathe.

My point was there's probably a happy medium and that we could look for it. Better that than lift all restrictions and end up like Beirut when the government of Lebanon had first collapsed, or more recently Somalia, where the law ended up being who had the gun and better shot at the moment, and barring that it was anarchy everywhere.

23. HEK Suspended

HEK

Exactomundo!

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Nope. This was a contract with a private company using private sector manufacturers, although the Conservatives oversaw the contracts and have been in power long enough to change the regulations but denied there was a problem. Also, it's no surprise when government doesn't function well when a right-wing party gets a hold of it that believes in deregulation and the austerity fairy.