Trump: will he really nominate a conseravtive judge??

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
A lot of Conservatives are closing their eyes and holding their noses to vote for Trump so he can elect a conservative judge to replace the late Scalia.

Trump has a track record of:
  1. Changing his mind every 3 minuets.
  2. Not keeping his agreements
  3. Retaliating to people, or parties, that say negative things about him.
The furor and mass change of support by Republicans against Trump, even asking him to step down, will be remembered by him.

On the flip side if the Democrats bow down to a victorious Trump with lavish praise and gifts, Trump will say they are a nice party.

Speaking of Democrats, it was not that long ago Trump was a Democrat. In fact, wasn't just before Obama was elected Trump was still a Democrat? (I dunno, I mean I hear he was a closet Democrat until then, who knows)

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
A lot of Conservatives are closing their eyes and holding their noses to vote for Trump so he can elect a conservative judge to replace the late Scalia.
Scalia was an activist justice, a believer in plutocracy/corporatocracy. To call him a "conservative" is to accept the current contradictory and inconsistent notion of conservative. I have no way of predicting who Trump would actually appoint, but, a true Burkean conservative (e.g. like David Souter mostly, also John Paul Stevens) would be a breath of fresh air for the current court.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Scalia was an activist justice, a believer in plutocracy/corporatocracy.
Scalia was someone who always claimed to be a constitutional conservative until that got in the way of current party politics. I'm glad he's gone, even though I don't celebrate his death. I had hoped he would retire years before that. The man was an extremely disingenuous person who shouldn't have been in that position.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Scalia was an activist justice, a believer in plutocracy/corporatocracy. To call him a "conservative" is to accept the current contradictory and inconsistent notion of conservative. I have no way of predicting who Trump would actually appoint, but, a true Burkean conservative (e.g. like David Souter mostly, also John Paul Stevens) would be a breath of fresh air for the current court.
So question is:
Republicans care about ethical ideal (pro-life, traditional marriage)
or is that a cover of protecting the major industries and their CEO's? (very cynical view here)

Reactions: thermodynamic

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This is a real fear. There are few qualifications for supreme Court justice. He could easily nominate one of his children, or his lapdog Giuliani.
Those options wouldn't be confirmed, so it wouldn't matter.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
This is a real fear. There are few qualifications for supreme Court justice. He could easily nominate one of his children, or his lapdog Giuliani.
Few? There are zero requirements to be SCOTUS, although most are former judges. However, a Mario Cuomo nomination was seriously considered by Bill Clinton even though Cuomo had never been a judge.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
Be nominated by the President and approved by the Senate.
SCOTUS, or, more mellifluously, the Supreme Court of the United States, is a nine member body. No one person can be the Supreme Court. One can be a "Justice", but not the entire court.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
SCOTUS, or, more mellifluously, the Supreme Court of the United States, is a nine member body. No one person can be the Supreme Court. One can be a "Justice", but not the entire court.
Well, become justice and the other 8 die in a plane accident or whatever. Then one person would be the Supreme Court.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
Trump has indicated that he will outsource his "conservatism" to the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation. If you believe that promise, and if you believe that these groups are conservative, "Trump will really nominate a conservative judge".

But from the perspective of the alt-right, that's like abdicating your discretion to a bunch of cuckservtaives. Rest assured, though, Trump's choices will be regarded by people like me as uniformly awful. As for myself, I'm hoping that Clinton appoints a "Movement Liberal"-- a gutsier choice than Garland.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Zero? Like Vladimir Putin could be a US Supreme Court Justice if nominated and confirmed?
Sure, and why not. Better there than running around trying to retrofit Russia to how it was in his view of the good old days. At least if we stuffed him into a black dress and made him sit on a bench in our Supreme Court all day long, we'd have a clue what he was really up to.

tictactoegame.jpg

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
Sure, and why not
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/12/vladimir-putin-conservative-icon/282572/

As the West becomes increasingly multicultural, less patriarchal and traditional, and more open to gay rights, Russia will be a lodestone for the multitudes who oppose this trajectory. Just as the Communist International, or Comintern, and what Soviet ideologists called the "correlation of forces" sought to unite progressive elements around the globe behind Moscow, the world's traditionalists will now line up behind Putin.
http://www.4pt.su/en/content/world-needs-understand-putin
Liberals, to paraphrase Anna Karenina, are all alike; but conservatives are all conservative in their own way.

While liberals insist on universal human rights and pursuit of a single globalised world, Conservatives place a value on differences, uniqueness, sovereignty, and identity, and try to guard and defend their own exceptionalism from a single, encroaching world order.

During his third term as President, Vladimir Putin has begun to distinguish himself as a conservative, a Russian conservative, and understanding what this means will have considerable value for those seeking to understand the future of Russia.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/02/putins-masterplan/
Now, after two decades in the economic basket, Russia is decisively back as an ideological force in the world — this time as a champion of conservative values. In his annual state of the nation speech to Russia’s parliament in December, Vladimir Putin assured conservatives around the world that Russia was ready and willing to stand up for ‘family values’ against a tide of liberal, western, pro-gay propaganda ‘that asks us to accept without question the equality of good and evil’. Russia, he promised, will ‘defend traditional values that have made up the spiritual and moral foundation of civilisation in every nation for thousands of years’. Crucially, Putin made it clear that his message was directed not only at Russians — who have already been protected from ‘promotion of non-traditional relationships’ by recent legislation — but for ‘more and more people across the world who support our position’.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Reactions: jerwin

tgara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Few? There are zero requirements to be SCOTUS, although most are former judges. However, a Mario Cuomo nomination was seriously considered by Bill Clinton even though Cuomo had never been a judge.
Right, there's a bunch. The most recently appointed Justice, Elena Kagan, was never a judge. Her most recent position was US Solicitor General, where she represented the government in the Citizen's United case, and lost. Before that, she was Dean of the Harvard Law School. Rehnquist was never a judge, but was an assistant Attorney General. Earl Warren was Governor of California.
[doublepost=1476237971][/doublepost]
Trump has indicated that he will outsource his "conservatism" to the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation. If you believe that promise, and if you believe that these groups are conservative, "Trump will really nominate a conservative judge".

But from the perspective of the alt-right, that's like abdicating your discretion to a bunch of cuckservtaives. Rest assured, though, Trump's choices will be regarded by people like me as uniformly awful. As for myself, I'm hoping that Clinton appoints a "Movement Liberal"-- a gutsier choice than Garland.
I think you're confusing political conservatism and judicial conservatism. They are not the same thing.