Trump: will he really nominate a conseravtive judge??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Oct 9, 2016.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

A lot of Conservatives are closing their eyes and holding their noses to vote for Trump so he can elect a conservative judge to replace the late Scalia.

Trump has a track record of:
    1. Changing his mind every 3 minuets.
    2. Not keeping his agreements
    3. Retaliating to people, or parties, that say negative things about him.
    The furor and mass change of support by Republicans against Trump, even asking him to step down, will be remembered by him.

On the flip side if the Democrats bow down to a victorious Trump with lavish praise and gifts, Trump will say they are a nice party.

Speaking of Democrats, it was not that long ago Trump was a Democrat. In fact, wasn't just before Obama was elected Trump was still a Democrat? (I dunno, I mean I hear he was a closet Democrat until then, who knows)

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you must elect him to see what's in him............ :D

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

We already know what's in him.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Scalia was an activist justice, a believer in plutocracy/corporatocracy. To call him a "conservative" is to accept the current contradictory and inconsistent notion of conservative. I have no way of predicting who Trump would actually appoint, but, a true Burkean conservative (e.g. like David Souter mostly, also John Paul Stevens) would be a breath of fresh air for the current court.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Scalia was someone who always claimed to be a constitutional conservative until that got in the way of current party politics. I'm glad he's gone, even though I don't celebrate his death. I had hoped he would retire years before that. The man was an extremely disingenuous person who shouldn't have been in that position.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm not sure he'd even nominate a judge at this point...

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So question is:
    Republicans care about ethical ideal (pro-life, traditional marriage)
    or is that a cover of protecting the major industries and their CEO's? (very cynical view here)

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This is a real fear. There are few qualifications for supreme Court justice. He could easily nominate one of his children, or his lapdog Giuliani.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Those options wouldn't be confirmed, so it wouldn't matter.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

IOW, with a Trump presidency, we might never fill that position.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Few? There are zero requirements to be SCOTUS, although most are former judges. However, a Mario Cuomo nomination was seriously considered by Bill Clinton even though Cuomo had never been a judge.

12. jerwin macrumors 68000

How can one be SCOTUS?

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Be nominated by the President and approved by the Senate.

14. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Zero? Like Vladimir Putin could be a US Supreme Court Justice if nominated and confirmed?

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Correct.

16. jerwin macrumors 68000

SCOTUS, or, more mellifluously, the Supreme Court of the United States, is a nine member body. No one person can be the Supreme Court. One can be a "Justice", but not the entire court.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Instead of correcting your own bad grammar, just edit the post.

18. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Well, become justice and the other 8 die in a plane accident or whatever. Then one person would be the Supreme Court.

19. jerwin macrumors 68000

Trump has indicated that he will outsource his "conservatism" to the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation. If you believe that promise, and if you believe that these groups are conservative, "Trump will really nominate a conservative judge".

But from the perspective of the alt-right, that's like abdicating your discretion to a bunch of cuckservtaives. Rest assured, though, Trump's choices will be regarded by people like me as uniformly awful. As for myself, I'm hoping that Clinton appoints a "Movement Liberal"-- a gutsier choice than Garland.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sure, and why not. Better there than running around trying to retrofit Russia to how it was in his view of the good old days. At least if we stuffed him into a black dress and made him sit on a bench in our Supreme Court all day long, we'd have a clue what he was really up to.

tictactoegame.jpg

21. jerwin macrumors 68000

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/12/vladimir-putin-conservative-icon/282572/

http://www.4pt.su/en/content/world-needs-understand-putin
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/02/putins-masterplan/

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

23. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Right, there's a bunch. The most recently appointed Justice, Elena Kagan, was never a judge. Her most recent position was US Solicitor General, where she represented the government in the Citizen's United case, and lost. Before that, she was Dean of the Harvard Law School. Rehnquist was never a judge, but was an assistant Attorney General. Earl Warren was Governor of California.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    I think you're confusing political conservatism and judicial conservatism. They are not the same thing.

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'd rather use a scalpel to see what's in him.

25. jerwin macrumors 68000