Trump will not appeal decision

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Judges are doing their job; providing checks and balances on the Executive Branch.

You should read and understand the US Constitution first before you slander a branch set up by it.

BL.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

That and the fact that the current EO was written very poorly. If the White House re-writes the EO addressing all the court's concerns, judges being political or not will not matter.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Defending the constitution? Yes. It is political. :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2017 ---
    Also so much for him huffing and puffing about going to court.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you look back through history, there has always been periods of conflict between the two branches of government (Executive branch and Judiciary branch). Judges are people just like the president and and they should be called out on their decisions. That being said, they are the final arbiter.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There is a difference between someone calling a single judge 'political' or 'legislating from the bench' if they come to a decision, versus an entire panel who came to the same decision (when some on that panel were nominated for that bench by Republican Presidents).

The Ninth Circuit's decision on this EO and the government's stance on it is pretty damning:

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/do...-9th-circuits-opinion-on-the-travel-ban/2327/

In short, they have shown that the POTUS does not have unreviewable, unreproachable authority to do whatever (s)he wants via EO; that EOs are subject to judicial review and interpretation. That is FACT.

BL.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

How can things be deemed political to you when some of these judges that are rejecting this are conservative appointed judges?

Is this what things have become? I swear I think we could have a panel of all right wing judges rejecting things and some of you would still say they were being "political".

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right because they are not choosing your side. got some evidence of it? we all know trump said over and over he would ban Muslims.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Would be a fool to appeal the 9th with SCOTUS the way it is. At best right now it would be 4-4, at worse it would be 3-5 with John "It's a tax" Roberts. Wait until Gorsuch is confirmed, then take the risk.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Dare I say - I think he's letting it go in favor of introducing something "worse."

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

He huffs and puffs about going to court to make the opposition spend time preparing for the appeal while he is writing a new EO. For which they won't be as prepared.

Brilliant!

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm not sure. I know what the decision of the 9th was, I just haven't taken the time to read their opinion on it. I find it a little confusing how people are calling it a "Muslim ban" but then in the same breath they complain that X amount of the 9/11 hi-jackers came from Saudi and Saudi isn't on the list.

13. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Funny though how the left was so pissed when Texas took Obama to court over his Immigration EO's.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

I think if people are calling it a muslim ban it's because that's how Trump set it up during the election that way.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow. You give him waaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit. There's not much method to the madness. Just madness. The "opposition" as you call it will be prepared for anything. Just as they were in the earlier court hearings.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's the thing. You(hypothetical type) can have what was said and then what was written in the EO.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I wasn't pissed. I thought it was the proper thing to do if a state feels that bounds are being overstepped. We do not have dictators. Thus Presidents must be kept in check no matter what political stripe they may be.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Wouldn't you agree that perception is reality though? I know what you're saying though. A legal document vs rhetoric. I am unsure of my full feelings about the ban itself (based on the actual phrasing). But I definitely think the implementation was a complete disaster.

19. Herdfan, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

Herdfan macrumors 6502

Judges are not supposed to consider that. Only what is entered into the record.

In reality they are people who live in communities and read/watch the news so it is to be expected.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2017 ---
    You may not have been, but plenty on the left were.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

They were wrong. Part of the checks and balances of our system isn't just the media and the courts, but also the individual states.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Bannon's playing chess ;)

23. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Yawn

I'll wait until Monday to read the next EO where I gather it'll be as crudely written as any legislation in the last two weeks plus.

24. citizenzen Suspended

I'd say it looks more like he's throwing darts ... hoping to pop a balloon.

Oops. Missed on that first try.

Try again, little Donnie.