Trump won't get NATO allies to spend more money.. oh wait.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Wait, we're celebrating the international community arming up for the impending war?

NATO should have been disbanded after it's explicit reason for existence broke up in the early 90's. Now it's just a crazy intricate web of agreements that looks shockingly like the web of alliances that triggered WWI.

But hey, more money for weapons and defense industry, way to go.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

So, in summary, Germany is considering spending more on defense, but their spending as a percentage of GDP (i.e., their NATO commitment) will be essentially unchanged. France has “committed” to spend more, but they haven’t done so or even authorized any increase in spending. And, the UK piece is just an opinion expressed by a defense analyst and not even a contemplated government plan.

4. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Plus the UK has no money for anything. Theresa May tells us that, and she never lies does she...

5. giggles macrumors 6502

A bit of a side note, I just watched Macron’s address to the US Congress on youtube, he received standing ovations from (most of?) the Congressmen while he spoke like a leader about a number of EU values (climate change and science, Iran deal is a-ok, multilateralism, trade wars between US and EU are stupid, isolationism is pointless, etc.) that are basically the exact opposite of what the current US administration thinks, I thought it was interesting somehow. Or maybe only half the house was cheering and the rest was being polite.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup. It was surreal. There was maybe one moment when only half the Congress stood up and cheered. But most of the time, the whole place was getting up for a standing ovation. I kept thinking if a US President said the same thing, only the Democrats would be cheering.

7. ChrisWB, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

ChrisWB macrumors 6502

The OP posted three opinion articles from tabloid newspapers. These tabloid articles claim that three European countries could potentially raise the percentage of GDP allocated to military spending in the future. Then the OP acts as though this has already happened, and that Trump should get credit for making the European nations change their domestic spending policies.

I am surprised that the OP did not share other exciting stories from his tabloids of choice. In the past day, Express has revealed that:

Aliens could be STRANDED on own planets because gravity is TOO strong.
    Loch Ness Monster is REAL: Shock claim says UK Government COVERED UP Nessie discovery.
    End of the world SIGN: ‘Eye of God’ sparks biblical doomsday meltdown.
    Time travel SHOCK REVEAL: Woman from ‘3800 shows photo taken in the FUTURE'.

Clearly the OP should be taken seriously as an honest individual who is demonstrably capable of critical thought.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Dare I say....

Boom,

Boom,

and Boom.

9. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What part of this is an opinion?

Thats a white house announcement. Perhaps you want to provide evidence to the contrary?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2018 ---
    Essentially they will both be spending more $$$ due to Trump.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

No, one is spending more money (but roughly the same amount as a share of GDP, with no evidence that Trump had anything to do with it), and the other has stated a commitment to spend more money with no actual appropriations.

11. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When you make a commitment to Trump you fulfill.

12. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Just as in the US, the president of France doesn’t have the unilateral authority to increase the defense budget.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

In the words of Michael Cohen "says who?"

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Reminds me of this laughable bit of garbage by this foot-kissing kiss-ass bozo.

15. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

The Express article is a summary of a right wing British think tank. It says so in the opening tagline.
    It is an opinion. Not a fact.

Macron's action in France has nothing to do with Trump. His party ran on a platform of raising defense spending to 2% of GDP.

Again, and I can't emphasize this enough, you're supporting your assertions by referencing a tabloid newspaper that is currently running the following articles:

End of the world: Putin’s rise is sign of APOCALYPSE says Christian conspiracy
    LIFE AFTER DEATH: Woman can now speak to the dead following near death experience
    Ancient civilisation? Was prehistoric global warming caused by pre-human species

16. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Ok, that genuinely made me guffaw out loud. Thanks for that.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Those isreale drones have been an hot topic for years, so nothing to Trump about.

Same for the rest, just some shuffeling that might even not happen at all.

Any german politicians actually pushing for more then token increases in defence would get a rough wakeup call next election.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In other words, US allies no longer trust us. Fantastic. Let's just hope there is no friction between Europe and the US, say, over trade and tariffs.

Many countries in Europe have been increasing their defence expenditure simply because of Putin's aggressive policies and land grabs, a threat Trump seems blinded to. That's also not great.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Too bad that's not a two-way street.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    Oh I just wanted to say thanks to this post I almost choked on my coffee laughing. :)

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The perfect 45 "victory". He gets someone to announce that they are committed to reach a goal that they already committed to under Obama. And his supporters eat it up.

21. cube macrumors Pentium

Belgium and The Netherlands will order 16 new warships together.

This has nothing to do with pressure from the US.

22. cube macrumors Pentium

Slovakia bought 25 SPHs and will procure 17 3D radars.

It seems they have delayed the fighter decision, like Belgium.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

24. cube macrumors Pentium

Canada now wants to buy 25 used F-18's from Australia instead of 18 (7 for spares).