Trump's 1st ad spot

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Aug 19, 2016.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-warns-open-borders-first-000000694.html

Opinions? Personally, I'm not for the dystopian vision thing - nor the focus on refugees as a problem* I also find it light on solutions - at least most Clinton ads explain where to go for more information.

* disclaimer: I am a little sensitive to the refugee issue - my sister works pretty high up in the Government on this issue - and I can tell you it's serious, sometimes heartbreaking business. Xenophobia just cheapens what my sister and those like her struggle to do every day - help people who need it.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Michael Bay inspired again. Or maybe it's more Neill Blomkamp

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So does using a word over and over to label and shut people down when it doesn't apply. Carry on.

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Are you referring to "xenophobia"? The ad is pretty clear - the segments with the refugees and immigrants are muted-tones and grainy, while the happy people at the end of the ad are cast in bright tones and clarity. Am I (or did I) call you xenophobic? No. Is the ad catering to that? I would say yes...also, I only used the word once.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Seriously ? One the left. Please show me where in the hell trains with thousands of Mexicans ride on top of the train entering the US.
    On the right show me where any immigrant comes into this country in a massive wave of unattended people ?

Hitler couldn't have done a better job at misinformation.

bunk.png bunk2.png

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Unless Trump suddenly begins adding content to his ads (or speeches, or interviews), it really doesn't matter. He's gloom and doom with no ideas as to how to get to the sunshine other than stopping immigration - something this country is built upon. Maybe he's never read the inscription on the Status of Liberty.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm sure he's read it but he would just call the French dirty traitors.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I couldn't even get that video to play on Yahoo. Here's another source in case others are having the same problem:

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/19/49060...releases-first-campaign-ad-to-air-in-4-states

My reaction? It's the same typical hokey "gloom-and-doom vs. joy-and-sunlight" ad we've seen in every other political campaign. Trump is still trying to convince us that hordes of terrorists and furriners are running around out there like The Walking Dead, and if we dare to go outside the safety of our homes, we're doomed.

The images remind me of that crap they ran to "warn" us about Obama:

[​IMG]
    So. Trump's first ad? Sad!

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

It's advertising. All the ads are like that.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No Syrian refugees in America. Hell, no refugees/immigrants from anywhere as long as there is one unemployed American citizen. Seal the borders. America First!

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's called propaganda. He learned it from the best minds in Russia. :D

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If the shoe fits ...

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If only this piece of dog **** was the one dying right now instead of my aunt. Oh what a wonderful world that would be.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so what are you going to do to get all these americans working? or is it just a tool to get out of having refugees?

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Goebbels was the Minister of Propaganda, you don't know your Reich from your left.

16. Robisan macrumors 6502

Clinton should pay to air that ad in Florida. Trump is seriously high if he thinks that ad will help him there.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Me? I'm going to put them to work mining helium-3 on the dark side of the moon.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You do know Hitler was the leader right ? Amazes me you don't know that considering Trumps "Ministers".

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think that's a pretty mediocre campaign ad. It sounds like he's not committing to any specific solutions. It actually reminds me of those cheesy National Guard commercials.

I too was wondering about the train ride of Mexicans or whatever that is about.

I don't think the advert is inherently xenophobic, but certainly plays to xenophobic people.

There are I believe small but legitimate security concerns with brining in poorly screened Syrian refugees, not to mention an enormous associated cost. That's not xenophobia, which implies irrational dislike or fear.

The other statement not deporting illegal Mexican immigrants is a valid ethical question. Do you deport them when they're not legally here and not acting as assets to the country -or- do you spend money and effort sending them through the legal system.

Those are valid questions to debate. But to people who don't want any more "brown people" or foreigners polluting the country I suppose any excuse down to racial racism is appealing.

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

It's nice to have you back @citizenzen. Hopefully that winter hibernation thickened your skin a little bit.

21. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

It will resonate well with those who subscribe to the "America's falling into a dystopian hellscape because of immigration" point of view. The problem is most have a much more positive and realistic view of the country.

22. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, that flies in the face of American History...but sure. Oh, wait...0% unemployment is unattainable? Well, crap.

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Helping others isn't or shouldn't be a problem, especially if being vetted and with refugees wanting to help the country they're going to (as opposed to leaving their own yet putting their own flag above ours, which would not be tolerated if an American went to another country and then put an American flag over the country's they moved to :facepalm: ). With unemployment (all factors counted), food stamp use, costs (especially education) out of control, Americans even training foreign replacements despite Americans being told to train for x or y fields because we don't have enough talent (or other excuses), America has let its own suffer. I don't think that's what Americans expected.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    Society can indeed make use of people. People also want to contribute. How's that law of supply and demand working out for you, especially if it's rigged (and proof exists)... wages in fields that need more laborers has yet to even begin to increase against inflation despite all the fields that are understaffed and every other claim made, and many claims are genuine and yet things have not gotten better as expected... so other things must be going on.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    In many cases, immigration is largely a secondary issue - but the abuse of immigration systems is a real problem. As we've read about in other countries, people coming in who slipped through their immigration systems have committed attacks.

Reality is that 0% prevention is virtually impossible to achieve, but society can work to reduce the numbers or increase it, depending on actions. Now what all the actions and numbers are happen to be variables, some better than others...

24. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

For a society that shouldn't expect any help from Government and "pull itself up by it's bootstraps" you seem to want to coddle these "americans". You might aim your ire at the persons who profit from such economic arrangements, not the poor huddled masses...

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

This response is far too rational for the Trump campaign, he would fire you for sure. For the rest of us, this realistic statement should be applauded. Like many of the more complex issues that face our nation, it's nuanced and requires an in depth knowledge of the issues and cooperation/compromise from both sides.