Trump's approach to diplomacy: "Don't worry about it"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Feb 2, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

When Trump starts telling allies that he's going to send troops into their country, or insults them on the telephone and hangs up, he's just having a little fun! As he stated in an address this morning, "just don't worry about it."

http://bcove.me/o631qhdu

I love how senator Cory Gardner tried to spin the phone call to Australia:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-foreign-policy-rhetoric-iran-australia-mexico-234531

So yeah, ignore that man behind the curtain! We still back up our allies 100%, even if the Dear Leader wants to drop them like a hot potato!

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

question here is why oboma commited to take 1500 prisioner from australia

3. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yes, that is a question you could ask, and I can see a number of responses to it. However, let me ask this question: why does Trump want to treat Australia as an enemy? He's certainly not treating them as being friendly.

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

because they were cutting spurious deals with the previous administration maybe?

no more

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I thought it was 1250 pre-vetted refugees. And he probably did it to help the Australians, who have fought side-by-side with the US in many wars. Moreover, it was probably done with the understanding that Australia is in a bind: if they let boat people in, it encourages others to take the dangerous trip (like the Mediterranean now, and the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific near the US coastline once 'the wall' goes up on land), but turning back refugees is against international law. I am proud as a US citizen that Obama extended a helping hand to both the refugees and indirectly to Australia. My feelings about Trump, on the other hand, ....

6. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

yea right. very discouraging, swim to australia and get a free pass to USA instead.

interestingly enough, the same oboma revoked a law that prevented te US to send cuban refugees back

go
    figure

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah...."Free" pass except for all that pesky life losing thing. Swimming to Australia isn't exactly easy or without risk. But hey, let's criticize people for fleeing oppressive situations and in desperation risk their lives in order to save them.

8. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i dont criticize them for fleeing. where the hell did I wrote that?

geez

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You're free pass comment was rather dismissive. As if people were just using a situation to get to America.

10. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

no no

lets talk turkey eh? australia does not want them there. please spare me the 'discouraging' thing, this is where my comment came from. Australia has ZERO population and plenty of space, but still won't take these refugees in. can't say I blame them.

then hussein, the supreme idiot, chimes in to help his fellas, but fails to deliver in time. perhaps on purpose.

and now trump is the bad guy? lol

as I said give a break.

the refugees can, and must flee that craphole. just need to deal with the consequences of that. yeah, life's a bitch.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

We have a secret weapon: What sane refugee would want to enter a country run by Donald Trump?

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It's working, some are concerned.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

did he bomb them? :rolleyes:

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

My guess is Obama didn't asked for something of value in return and Trump isn't looking to take them in just for the heck of it. I mean really, why would we even get involved? Makes no sense. Obama and others are like the cat lady down the street who hasn't enough money or resources to take care of the ones she has but can't resist taking in more and more...

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's an incredibly glib definition of what constitutes a diplomatic ally.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seems the 1250 Australia wanted to send :D

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We have more than enough money, its just that more than half of it goes to pissing away in the desert via bombs and the only legitimate military empire on the planet.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

noble indeed but it makes less and less sense to continue taking in so many strays when we are having a crisis at home trying to get our own poor and needy proper education and food and jobs. My feelings are that it's about time we focus way more on our people already here and take a break on trying to be the crazy cat-lady.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2017 ---
    says you. I stand by my points. Time to focus on OUR PEOPLE.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

S-A is our "ally" and 17 out of 19 hijackers came from there.........

20. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

No, he just insulted their Prime Minister and then hung up on him. He's being the best of friends, isn't he? :)

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sure, so we can close down at least 1/3 of our useless bases around the world then. Tons of savings right there. Use that money to invest in OUR PEOPLE.
    You know my thoughts on our absurd empire's alliances, not sure why you thought that would be a good deflection to my post seeing as we both agree on Saudi Arabia....

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you did not "note" my deflection then it's still valid :D

just pointing out not everyone who pretents/claims to be our "Ally" is one.

he is by far a better negotiator than anyone I have seen. no stupid red lines, no bending over just for the hell of it & no bowing down to anyone.
    we have a "vetting" problem so keeping them OUT makes sense
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ip-to-hundreds-of-illegal-immigrants.2030723/

23. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Results, man, results. Just what is he accomplishing by pissing off every other world leader? What are the results he is achieving? (Other than throwing more red meat to his supporters.)

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can you explain, in detail, the current vetting process?

Then, what changes you think need to be made, again in detail?

I'm asking because statements like "we need to look into X or Y" is not policy, it is platitude.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

since you didn't bother with the link, here you go
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/19/dhs-granted-citizenship-illegals-terrorist-nations/

1250 potential terrorist.
    1. flawed obviously.
    2. minority report was just a movie, I don't know what can be done since we know little to NOTHING about them & there are no ways to CONFIRM any of it.
    3. works for me :D