Trump's chief of staff Reince Priebus Ingnites controversy with his "New King" Christmas message

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Dec 25, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Interesting. Reince Priebus has stirred up a lot with his Christmas message which included this line:

Now I understand that the term "New King" is used to refer to Jesus, however Reince specifically used the words THIS Christmas. And per Time magazine, did not use these words last Christmas:

So, what is different in particular this Christmas that would merit singling it out in this manner? Hmmmmmm.....why would the word "this" be in there at all?

http://time.com/4617878/rnc-donald-trump-christmas-new-king/

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

DJT is the next coming of Jesus, extracting the water from liberals cheeks and making wine. Amen.

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Problem is he makes a lot of conservatives whine too. :D

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Plenty of wine and whine to go around.

I don't really trust the judgement of anyone who is overly religious so on a serious note I have no idea what Reince was referring to.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

You decide for yourself, context of the whole speech. Very questionable in my mind. Possibly legitimately talking about the religious context, possibly also bridging it to Trump. I can't imagine this guy would intentionally draw parallels of Jesus to Donald Trump, especially considering the voter base... but who knows.

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Either he intended to make the comparison or it was reallllly poor wording. I can understand why people have a problem with this if for no other reason than comparing the POTUS to a king.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He was probably just trying to be funny/witty.

I really don't have a problem with it.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

#TrumpIsNotJesusPriebus :D c'mon folks, we can make this the number 1 trending hashtag on twitter!

9. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The thoughtless Trumpettes we see skuttling about tend to gravitate toward authoritariansim. Modern Republicansim is a neofeudalist movement, so this does make sense. Preebs is only play to his audience. The rest of us are shaking our heads and laughing. Its gonna be a wild ride.

10. citizenzen, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I surprised that trump as the anti-Christ isn't a more popular meme.

Are we approaching the end times ... or not?

11. bent christian, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Republicans troll Democrats for years over an imagined messiah complex with Obama. They show they have been projecting the entire time, by casting Donald Trump as a religious saviour-king in their own words.

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah, Trump is just a self-absorbed fool. The real problem is that so many Americans desired to see a self-absorbed fool become president. When the citizens of a country stop taking that country seriously, I don't see a great future in store for them...

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What better tool could Satan ask for?

14. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Something as simple as this is why Trump was elected. His supporters are tired of whining people who have their feathers ruffled by any and everything.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't see any whining going on here.

16. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Um, no. That's not why at all.

But by all means, feel free to explain why that quote was written the specific way it was. I'm happy to entertain alternate explanations in meaning.

17. SusanK macrumors 68000

Did not support Trump but the post election " no fair" is getting old.

18. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Democrats had to put up with eight years of Republicans bitching and moaning about every little thing Obama did. From the color of a suit, to feet on a desk no thing was too small or too insignificant. So, the complaining about all things Trump hasn't even really begun yet! Get ready!!!

That's what six years of birtherism and eight years of obstruction brings about. File under reaping what is sowed.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

So the plan is we will act as childish as the GOP?

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm not clear on this....the MSM is trying to foment controversy because Priebus personalizes his holiday messages from year to year instead of sending out carbon copies? Is that it?

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

22. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, come on! Priebus sent out a message reading that this Christmas was special because of a new King. Of course, that's pretty standard religious pablum, but the way it was worded (and the fact it was coming from Trump's inner circle) immediately caused shock waves all over social media.

The MSM was late to this story.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

This Christmas is special because of a new King. And next year, that Christmas will be special because of a new King. The only thing remarkable about Priebus's message is that he varies it from year to year. Gives it that personal touch.

And so what if there's a double entendre in the message? I just shakes up the silly and anti-Trump people (but I repeat myself).

24. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yeah, you guys really do like shaking up the other half of the country. Way to continue driving a wedge between Americans.

But in any case, man, stop blaming the MSM for absolutely everything. This story was pretty much already over before the MSM even got started with it...