Trump's Choice To Block Twitter Users Violates Constitution, Advocates Argue

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccaheilweil1/2017/06/06/trumps-choice-to-block-twitter-users-violates-constitution-advocates-argue/amp/

“This Twitter account operates as a ‘designated public forum’ for First Amendment purposes, and accordingly the viewpoint-based blocking of our clients is unconstitutional. We ask that you unblock them and any others who have been blocked for similar reasons.”
As much as I dislike Trump's twitter habit, some people are really losing their minds over it. :confused:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
No idea, but he and his staff have ignored the PRA and no one in congress seems to care about that.
He probably can't legally block people because as his representatives have said his twitter statements are official statements. Congress may ignore him violating the PRA, but if this goes to court then likely Trump will lose.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Riiight ... it's the people losing their minds, not the insane president who can't control how or what he tweets.

But it's the people who expect a little accountability in their public servants ... it's their fault. :rolleyes:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Riiight ... it's the people losing their minds, not the insane president who can't control how or what he tweets.

But the people who expect a little accountability in their public servants ... it's their fault.
some people only expect accountability from SOME public servants............

anyways play stupid games/win stupid prizes.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
The content of his tweets isn't what is at issue here. Feel free jump into any of the eleventy-billion threads about that.

The issue here is whether him blocking people from following his twitter account is a First Amendment issue, which is laughable.

Reactions: jkcerda

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
He probably can't legally block people because as his representatives have said his twitter statements are official statements. Congress may ignore him violating the PRA, but if this goes to court then likely Trump will lose.
Or just follow @RealPressSecBot
It puts Trump's tweets in official statement form.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
The content of his tweets isn't what is at issue here. Feel free jump into any of the eleventy-billion threads about that.

The issue here is whether him blocking people from following his twitter account is a First Amendment issue, which is laughable.
When dealing with official presidential communications, how can you claim to know what is or isn't laughable?

We treading upon new ground here. I'm fine with letting the courts settle this and learning from it.

How 'bout you?
[doublepost=1496873869][/doublepost]
Sure he can. He's not infringing on anybody's First Amendemnt rights by blocking them on twitter.
Are you a lawyer?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
When dealing with official presidential communications, how can you claim to know what is or isn't laughable?

We treading upon new ground here. I'm fine with letting the courts settle this and learning from it.

How 'bout you?
[doublepost=1496873869][/doublepost]

Are you a lawyer?
No, but I've actually read the First Amendment.

How 'bout you?

Reactions: Fancuku and jkcerda

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
It's a good read when you get the time. Might even change your mind about some things. Like this topic.
What's it say about tweets being official presidential statements?

What does the 1A say about blocking users on twitter accounts of public servants?

Dude. Those Founders must have been really forward thinkers.

Hats off to them.

Reactions: Eraserhead

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
What's it say about tweets being official presidential statements?
Irrelevant. Trump isn't stopping anybody from reading his tweets.

What does the 1A say about blocking users on twitter accounts of public servants?
Also irrelevant with respect to the First Amendment.

Trump hasn't taken any legal measures to prevent people from accessing his tweets or from tweeting stuff about him.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Irrelevant. Trump isn't stopping anybody from reading his tweets.

Als irrelevant with respect to the First Amendment.

Trump hasn't taken any legal measures to prevent people from accessing his tweets or from tweeting stuff about him
I will wait until the courts decide.

It's not my area of expertise, and unlike you, I don't like to pretend I'm an expert in areas that I am not.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'll just post the entire text of first amendment here, so we can all refer to it.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Reactions: BeeGood

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I will wait until the courts decide.

It's not my area of expertise, and unlike you, I don't like to pretend I'm an expert in areas that I am not.
You don't have to be an expert in anything to understand what things the First Amendment applies to and what it does not. 10th grade civics class teaches you that.

But I'll gladly come back and eat my crow if these folks win. I'm pretty sure they're wasting their time.

Last edited:
Reactions: webbuzz