Trump's Creepy Diplomacy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jun 28, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Donald Trump made a phone call to Ireland yesterday, to congratulate Leo Varadkar on becoming prime minister:

“We have a lot of your Irish press watching us right now,” President Trump told Varadkar, informing him that the whole conversation was taking place in a room full of journalists with cameras running.

He pointed at Irish reporter Caitríona Perry, U.S. bureau chief for RTÉ News, telling her to come over to his desk.

“We have all of this beautiful Irish press,” Trump said to the prime minister, and asked Perry, “Where are you from?”

Perry approached Trump and introduced herself.

“She has a nice smile on her face so I bet she treats you well,” Trump said.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...iments-her-nice-smile/?utm_term=.2e9912e0e39a

https://twitter.com/CaitrionaPerry/...er-irish-reporter-compliments-her-nice-smile/

What is wrong with this man???

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Scandalous, how many states does he think there is?

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Deflection noted.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Mountains out of mole hills, be careful, you'll burn out before the mid terms.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Not any more than those that keep defending or normalizing his actions.

No one is making a mountain out of this anyway - that's hyperbole. Writing a quick post is not making a mountain out of it. There was no huge rant or length diatribe. It was a simple question - what's wrong with him?

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

What's wrong with people that see something wrong in a small joke? Jeez.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

trump derangement syndrome.
    did he grab her? all he did was compliment her.:rolleyes:

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Exactly.
    This "scandal" is as stupid as the one after Obama said that California's AG was hot.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

TDS seems to affect both sides.

there's no scandal. Just a stupid remark. Which should come as no surprise since Trump doesn't have the most respect for women.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ha, the liberals are bringing in the big guns after the Russia scandal that CNN fabricated fell apart, now they have Elmo fighting for them in words they can understand :p new thread on it.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't see why it's stupid. He said she has a beautiful smile and made a joking remark based on the beautiful smile.

12. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Maybe you're right. Problem is, we already know that this guy likes to brag about grabbing *****. That he enjoys walking around in the changing room being used by beauty pageant contestants. That he regularly rates women on their breast size or how fat they look.

And so here, he looks at a group of reporters, and one catches his eye. Given what he said, and his history, I can only imagine one reason for him to ask her to approach. I've gotta wonder exactly what would have happened if his hands weren't already busy holding the phone handset.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Well, you can speculate as much as you want.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah, that's probably a little inappropriate, but at least he didn't ask her to sit on his lap.

Seriously, I think he just gets a kick out of making people feel uncomfortable.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Well, someone else had a girl under the very same desk. And a cigar.
    If a joke on a smile is inappropriate...

16. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Nothing wrong with complimenting someone for having a nice smile.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

and lied under oath about it, Liberals yapped about it being between him & his wife but here they are losing their brains because well, trump is not a democrat, hell had trump won as a democrat they would defend him at every turn.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

LOL - I see it's likely never going to be possible to just judge Trump on his behavior alone ;)

No one said Bill's actions were appropriate. That doesn't make Trump's behavior more or less so. There's really no issue here. I just see it as another indication that Trump lacks any filter and it will likely be his undoing at some point.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2017 ---

Oh good - another thread that will revert into a "get over the election" one. We haven't had that happen in a thread for a good 3 seconds.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yeah, Trump definitely has no filter!

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That went waaaay beyond inappropriate. :p

And that event almost lead to his impeachment.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

plenty on the right support that approach, why sugar coat crap all the time?

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Clinton WAS impeached.
    In any case, what I meant is that the joke was not inappropriate at all. Out of the blue? Yeah. Unnecessary? Yeah. But inappropriate? No.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2017 ---
    On political stuff, I don't mind the lack of a filter thereof. That's one of the reasons why Trump was elected over HRC.
    On non-political, orbiting stuff like a journalist, sport etc. I think it's just him being stupid and causing himself unnecessary headaches.

23. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That's what I meant to say. Sometimes the thumbs move without the brains input.

In that setting, I think it's inappropriate to beckon forth someone of the opposite sex just so you can make comments about how physically attractive he/she is in front of her colleagues and peers. She was there to do a job, not be eye candy for a creepy old man.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, at least Trump didn't grope her without permission.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Saw the video yesterday, as everyone else agrees - it's really creepy.