Trump's DOJ gears up for crackdown on marijuana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jul 23, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Of all the things the Keebler elf SOB could go after, he chooses the most innocuous substance around, and one his boss was in favour of leaving alone. We have a heroin epidemic and what appears to some to be an opiode pill crisis and he wants to prosecute people for smoking a plant. This nonsense has to stop.

http://thehill.com/regulation/administration/343218-trumps-doj-gears-up-for-crackdown-on-marijuana

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any link there may be between violent crime and marijuana exists solely because of its criminalisation.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump was right. He never should have appointed Sessions.

5. MarkusL macrumors 6502

If we let this graph flatline we are dishonoring Nancy Reagan!

[​IMG]

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Trump and his lackeys seem to pull from the Nixon playbook a lot...

[​IMG]

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Well. That's just stupid. He's definitely going on the wrong path here.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

If we released all drug felons then the prison population would only drop from 2.3m to 1.85m.

pie2017_drugs.png

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

The problem is that the feds can't make the states (CO, WA, AK, NV & OR) arrest people for possession and the feds don't have the manpower to do it. All the feds can do is go after the dispensaries. And I don't think that will get them anywhere because I don't think a jury would vote to convict anyone operating within state law.

Also, possession would still be legal so all they would really be doing is tearing down a regulated market and replacing it with one that is completely unregulated.

This will not end well for the feds.

But there are also rumors that the feds are mainly wanting to crack down on the black markets in legal states and the product being trafficked out of legal states. Which we all know is happening.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sessions only cares about himself. Smaller government my ass.

11. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

So it would it drop by only 20%? That seems like a substantial reduction to me...

12. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I thought state law prevails unless you cross state boundaries and the it becomes a federal concern.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2017 ---
    I thought it would be more like 60% of the felons. Of those 20%, much less would be freed if pot possession was legalized everywhere. There would still be lots of drug offenders doing porridge.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They must be desperate. Does it even get you high?

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Nope. It is a federally illegal substance. So the feds can bust someone for simple possession. But as a general rule they don't because 1) it is a waste of resources and 2) they don't have the resources to chase after a kid with a joint. But they can.

The feds generally leave those crimes to the states and instead focus on large dealers, transporters and traffickers.

But they do have the authority.

Check out the case of the Kettle Falls Five.

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I won't be an active advocate but I'm okay with legalizing recreational weed. But as you're rolling your eyes at people who have a different point of view try to keep in mind heroin and opioids come from a plant too.

16. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Heroin does. Opium does. The majority of modern opiates are synthetic, though and have no plant or opium derived constituents. Heroin is also manufactured via a chemical process. Cannabis is a naturally occurring plant that undergoes virtually no enhancement other than the drying process. You also can't OD on it. The two are significantly different.

17. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

That phrase "doing porridge" doesn't mean what you think it means :)

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I know exactly what it means, but I thought I might play on the confusion of those of our friends across the pond who do not...

19. UL2RA, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

UL2RA Suspended

This is a giant, steaming pile of crap. Currently marijuana is in the same category of substances that don't have any medicinal benefits. They also just put CBD oil, a substance with zero psychoactive effects, on this same list. The ignorance of these people is just astounding. Sessions is quoted as saying "good people don't smoke marijuana" ... the man is a deluded ****.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Too much splainin kills the buzz.

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Good, let Sessions go after legal states. This will force states to fight back and this issue will end up in the SCOTUS. It's my belief, though I could be very wrong, that the SCOTUS will side with the states, which will help create a domino effect with other states saying frak it and move forward on their own legalization bills.

Congress is doesn't want to touch this even though the view is rapidly changing over the last decade. Specially given the success of the legal states. Having this issue go through the judicial system will help force them to finally deal with it as well. The Feds are only going to touch this once the they feel that states will have the final say on this.

22. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Saying modern opiates are synthetic (lol) is just mumbo-jumbo nonesense.

As I said, I'm no advocate for or against legalizing recreational weed, but the "it's a plant" argument is just silly. Surely you have better justifications. Lol

23. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

B*llocks.