Trump's draft budget proposes billion dollar cut to Coast Guard

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by noisycats, Mar 7, 2017.

1. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

2. noisycats thread starter macrumors 6502a

noisycats

America for the loss.

Sounds in accordance to his MO. o_O

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Seriously? The coast guard is the one part of our military that actually benefits us on a regular basis.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

But you can't build a wall on water.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Military spending is out of control to begin with. Ideally, there would be no wall, and all branches of the military would face budget cuts.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

He talks about increasing defense spending, you guys skewer him.

He talks about cutting defense spending, you guys skewer him.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really...

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yes really.

9. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Considering we have a NAVY and a Coast Guard and we are going back to a 12 carrier NAVY I'm perfectly fine with this.

I'm he also looked at what they where spending the money on and decided it was frivolous. Considering the MO of agencies is to spend all the money in order to not lose the budget I'm glad he checked in and cut the fat.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

As the OP pointed out...."So build a multi-billion dollar wall against one border while undermining/underfunding those who guard our largest border of all?"

The only thing skewed is Trumps thinking.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No. Because coastguard isn't really
    defence.

12. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

I live in Cornwall UK and sea locked on 3 sides.

our coast guard is vital.

USA same situation it cannot be good cut as you have alot more coast than us.

our coast guards save many lives every year here.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Not a logical discussion. Spending more vs cutting costs are not equivalents.

One can be happy that the budget is X and covers A,B,C but not happy that the budget is being increased.
    One can be upset that the budget is being reduced to cover A, B, C and not happy that the budget is being increased to cover D, E, F

14. HEK, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

Because the lier in cheif needs to be skewered. We arr doing our jobs as electorat with our eyes open. I suppose we could all chip in and buy him a book entitled "Idiot's Guide on How to be President". Kelly Ann could read it to him at bedtime, since he doesn't read books. And for god's sake take his cell phone away. We are gettng long past Looney Tunes stage.

Trump wants truth, non political, plain talk, no political correctness. I say we give it to him both barrels. The gloves are off. He and his minions want truth and plain talk. Good nail his orange keaster to to the wall.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

It's interesting how the right reacts to those who speak up. I thought Trump was elected because DC wasn't listening to the people of this country. While the right was very critical of Obama, they didn't seem to mass organize and let their voice be heard (by they I mean the American people). I was told in several threads it's because they waited and then used their vote to send a message. That's all fine and well. However that's not the only way to create change. The other way is to not sit around for 2, 4, 8 years and stew and then just hit the polls. Standing up and being vocal has traditionally been the way things have gotten done in this country.

Trump will never unite this country if he insists on dividing it by not continually reaching across the aisle with more than just words and a goofy grin.

16. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Speak up all you want; I couldn't care less. But when you stay something stupid, don't be triggered when it gets pointed out.

I have no love for trump. I just think it's ironic that the lefties complain about how much we spend on defense and rail against the idea of defense spending increases, but then get upset when it's floated that maybe we'll spend a little less on defense.

Partisan much?

17. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

I think part of the difference is our Coast Guard isn't part of defence spending, it serves a separate role. If the Americans find out we have a Navy, a Coast Guard AND Border Force cutters, they'll go nuts.

Why not change the way the budget is run so that services are given the resources they need rather than having to over-estimate and then spend to the line?

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My husband is a ship builder. I happen to have had the pleasure of attending the Christening of a new Coast Guard ship this past weekend. It included several lengthy lectures on the history and importance of the USCG, which not only guards our borders, but rescues anyone at sea, and prevents the majority of drugs from entering the country. (War on drugs, anyone?)

The side effect is that this will put hundreds out of work. The same hundreds who voted for Trump in the first place. They are not a happy group right now.

You can't cut budgets of any kind without it affecting the working class. The men and women who are always hit the hardest - not the 1% at the top.

19. samcraig, Mar 8, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

I'm not triggered. And in your opinion it's stupid. Nice word by the way.

There's no irony. And again - your logic isn't correct. One can not like how much we spend on defense but still like some of the programs that money is spent on. The same people could not like increased spending for things they do not want money spent on. Defense isn't one thing. There are many things that fall under that department. Do you not understand that? Maybe I'm not explaining it well because it seems fairly obvious.

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

Here in coastal Virginia, I see the US Coast Guard (not the US Navy) also saving many lives each year. Sinking boat rescues, medivacs from cruise ships, lost kayaker searches, etc...

IMO, the USCG are the police/fire/EMS for US waterways. Not so much national "defense". No way the US Navy is equipped to take over those roles.

I don't know what their budget situation is, though.

21. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

Here is SW Cornwall coast guard is military or shares resources.
    Actually based at a naval air base.

They where using old 1960s helicopters (seaking) which have only recently been replaced with new helicopters.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

this makes no sense ... isn't the coast guard first in line against drug smuggling and human trafficking ? And it's not like the Coast guard is a big spender in the first place. What's their budget ? 10-20 billion tops ?

23. HEK, Mar 8, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

24. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I'll wait and see if the cuts make it to the final budget before I get outraged.

That being said, I will miss seing USMC Pedros and Angel One flying the coast of the Carolinas, they provided supplemental support to state, local and the USCG.