Trump's first state dinner to be exclusive (i.e. small minded)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Apr 20, 2018.

1. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The President has broken with tradition and will exclude the media and members of the opposition party when French President Macron is hosted for dinner next Tuesday. It is the Trump administration's first state dinner, fifteen months into his term in office. Obama's first dinner was 11 months into his term and the guest list was around 350. Trump for once seems to think less is more. Or his wife does. Melania's office is in charge of the planning. LOL at the part of the excerpt I bolded below...

In total, only about 150 people are expected to attend next week’s dinner. Ryan; the two Republican senators from Louisiana, Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy; and House Foreign Affairs Chair Ed Royce will be the only members of Congress attending, according to a person familiar with the guest list. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was invited, but will not be able to attend, his office said.

With Trump at his Mar-a-Lago retreat in Florida this week, some aides were concerned that he might extend invitations to friends and admirers he happened to see there, according to a person familiar with planning.​

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I wonder what world leaders say on the plane back home after meeting with Trump. They probably call the world leader they're closest to and say "You have to get in on this!" in their respective languages.

3. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

That's awesome that not only do we pay for him to golf every weekend at his places but we also pay him when he's on vacation. He is racking up major money from the govt staying at his properties. Who needs a salary when you can make quadruple that

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

Well that's the thing; Trump doesn't do multilateral very well. He's a one on one kinda guy even if he does serial one-on-one takedowns like a crack addict needing just enough mugger's reward for this one fix before this other fix before....

It's always about him first, and the idea that other people might be talking to each other is not on his radar until suddenly it is and then it's a conspiracy. I'm sure he's never considered that one of his core supporters out there might pull up a chair in another supporter's kitchen some night and say "yah know, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this guy Trump". Likewise why would he think in advance that any other world leader he meets with might buttonhole a peer and say "Yah know, this guy's a real mark, we could talk him into..."

No wonder if he wants to keep the guest list down at his state dinner or longs to include more pals. The idea of having a bunch of people to dinner who are not 100% sworn to personal loyalty to him must make Trump nervous, even if he has eliminated the entire free press and every Democrat he ever met. And after all, Macron is from a foreign country! (Some freedom fries w/ that steak, buddy?)

When Trump went to Africa to sort of dissipate any injured feelings about that whole s-hole thing, leaders of countries he visited seemed pleased. But then... perhaps following Trump's model of "My Country First", Rwanda hiked tariffs on imports of used clothing shipped from America on grounds it suppressed in-country purchase of clothing made there. And then Trump lost it and pegged back by suspending Rwanda's duty-free status on stuff they sell here. And then... and then... other African countries joined in on hiking tariffs on imports of used American clothing, and two of them said they're going to just ban import of US used clothing by 2019.

And then a textile dealer in one of those two countries panned the idea of that ban, suggesting that even from the tariff hikes alone what's really going to happen is the African countries will import more new and cheap clothing now from countries like China and the United Arab Emirates because they don't yet have the capacity to manufacture enough domestically.

So we can whistle Dixie trying to find someplace to sell the cheap clothes in our closets when we're tired of them and ready to trek over to Walmart and buy more from China ourselves...

source: Thread War: Rwanda takes a stand against cheap, secondhand clothes from the US

Hmm... Pretty sure Trump's unaware of some of the details in the follow-on of this piece of his trade war gig yet, but when he does it will be like "Wait, wha' jus' hoppen here?"

The world is larger than Trump's last meeting with someone who also has a life aside from an interaction now and then with Donald Trump. His outlook comes from having had people to clean up after him wherever he goes. He sees everything as a chess match right now with one other entity, even if it's actually leader of a nation of millions (or a billion) people, or a chief of an agency with thousands of employees. Tunnel vision never leads to a good outcome, even if it's just about keeping potential for dissent out of a state dinner in the White House.

5. Tech198 macrumors G5

Seems like a small social gathering.. Perhaps he ran outta money to afford something bigger?

6. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Catered by "MacDonalds". :p

7. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

Right? :D But Melania's not into junk food, methinks. She and her crew in the White House have planned the menu. Worse luck for Donnie, he'll see at least a few veggies on plates around the table. The horror!

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

Slovenian cuisine is rather good. Even if it's a hodgepodge of various cultures around the country. They definitely have dishes and desserts Donny has eaten and probably enjoyed a lot.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

10. SusanK macrumors 68000

Trump doesn't want everyone to see the McDonalds catering team.

EDIT Sorry. I didn't see the previous comment on the fare.

11. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

He's possibly annoyed he can't just eat steak with one pal or eat KFC and watch Fox. All that fancy silverware and plates laid out for a Frenchman, and having to be nice to Melania.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

hope Trump sticks to himself being the only one getting 2 scoops of ice cream... then tweets it to CNN

13. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

I just hope it goes well for the sake of our ongoing relationship with France, and after the work put in by Mrs T and her staff to ensure that everything right down to candles and flowers is just right.

And I sure God don't want to walk into a cheese shop later on to find out that what I used to get now costs double the tab because of some innocuous thing Macron said to Trump at the dinner and Trump promptly hiked a tariff on brie or camembert as a little souvenir for Macron to take home.