Trump's Full Wall Street Journal Interview Transcript - yikes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Reminds me of that insurance commercial that says "you're in good hands." NOT !

2. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Unbelievable. He's stuck on how he won the election. Place is in flames, and he won it.

This part just boggled my mind:

BAKER: What about your disappointments? Any disappointments in the first six months?

TRUMP: Well, I’d have to let you know. I have to see where we are with this. Let’s see. Maybe it doesn’t work, but I think it’s going to. And, you know, it is — it would have been easier to start with taxes, but this is better if it works, OK? If it works, this is better.

WSJ: More general — generally.

TRUMP: But I think, you know, depending — so if you asked me that question in a month or really at the end of the year, because we hope to get this. We hope to get taxes and then infrastructure. And then I’m going to do a very big — we’re doing very big trade deals, and we’re looking forward to that. But we want to do, ideally, this first.

You know, a lot of people said you should have started with taxes or you should have started with infrastructure. Well, infrastructure, I’ll actually have bipartisan support, and I can use infrastructure to carry other things along. So I don’t want to waste it at the beginning, if that makes sense.

WSJ: Can I ask on that? I mean, are you confident? When you say the Democrats are obstructionists, and obviously they’re looking ahead to the midterms next year, it doesn’t seem like politically for Democrats there’s a lot of incentive, even on a bipartisan thing like infrastructure, that might be popular — [inaudible]. How tough a road is it going to be? In any case, it’s hard –

TRUMP: Well, they tried — they tried it with me. She spent hundreds of millions of dollars on negative ads. She didn’t do a positive ad, virtually. And she lost easily, you know, 306 to 223 I think, right – 223, something like that. ...

I mean, honestly, they — the ads were coming at me. Hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of negative ads. And when people went into the voter booth, they didn’t know what she stood for. I always said that. I said if I can take this onslaught personally, it’s going to be a great thing because nobody knew what she stood for. So now, they’re trying to change their message a little bit, you know. I mean, it’s — it’s one of those things, but now they’re trying to change their message and we’ll see what happens.

But I think that we’re doing very well. Every indication is that in every one of our swing states we’re substantially up, like Ohio. Tonight I’m going to Ohio — Youngstown, Ohio — and we’ll be up — we’re way up. You know, I won the state by 9 or 10 or something, by 9 or 10 points, without any governor support, OK? So you have the governor of Ohio not supporting you and you win by almost 10 points, which is pretty good because Ohio’s not — if you remember, you guys were always saying you have to win Ohio, right?

BAKER: No Republican has ever won the presidency without winning Ohio.

TRUMP: No, right, no, it’s — it was — and we won, you know, by a landslide.

WSJ: [Inaudible.]

BAKER: Yeah. [Laughter.]

TRUMP: But we’re up. We have now — are you going tonight? Are you going to the speech in Ohio tonight?

WSJ: We were in West Virginia yesterday.

TRUMP: Oh, you did? Was that a scene, though? Huh?

WSJ: That was a scene, yes. (Laughter.)

TRUMP: Biggest crowd they’ve ever had. What did you think?

WSJ: I thought it was an interesting speech in the context of the Boy Scouts.

TRUMP: Right.

WSJ: They seemed to get a lot of feedback from former scouts and –

TRUMP: Did they like it?

WSJ: It seemed mixed.

TRUMP: They loved it. [Laughter.] It wasn’t — it was no mix. That was a standing –

WSJ: In the — you got a good — you got a good reaction in –

TRUMP: I mean, you know, he writes mostly negative stuff. But that was a standing ovation –

WSJ: You got a good reaction inside the arena, that’s right.

TRUMP: ... from the time I walked out on the stage — because I know. And by the way, I’d be the first to admit mixed. I’m a guy that will tell you mixed. There was no mix there. That was a standing ovation from the time I walked out to the time I left, and for five minutes after I had already gone. There was no mix.

WSJ: Yeah, there was a lot of supporters in the arena.

TRUMP: And I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful. So there was — there was no mix.

BAKER: Sir, can I ask you about taxes?

TRUMP: Yes.​

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Think I will pass on this. Reading a Trump interview with his inability to put sentences together would hurt my head.

5. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I do wonder sometimes if he's not hitting the bottle quite hard.

Would explain a few of those Tweets.
    All alone on the humongous bedroom… bottles lying around. Taking a swig of Bourbon as he gets incensed about all the perceived injustice.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I bet when asked about how the interview went, he said "great interview. I was fantastic. I gave the best interview they've ever had"

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well as with his fanbase here on MacRumo(u)rs it always comes back to her. That Devil Woman Clinton.
    And if that fails, there's always that Kenyan Muslim guy…

Oh, America.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    Best(est)!
    ;)

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

"Do you have a plan in place to help people get coverage?"
    "Well, it's tricky - that's the thing - we've talked a lot about it, and we've got a lot of great ideas, many great ideas - and the senate - I've talked to a lot of folks in the senate, and we've come up with some ideas. Because I want people covered, but it has to be good insurance - great insurance. And we think we're going to be able to pass some important things very quickly, probably - and make sure you give me the credit if this happens and none of the blame if it doesn't - we think we may be able to do some good things - great things - very quickly, very fast."

(That's Donald-ese for "No".)

10. arkitect, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Has any US president spoken like this?
    Sure, it might be in jest, but I think DJT is being serious.

Edit:

Strike that.
    Apparently that was just a made up quote.

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

A good leader takes less credit and more of the blame. As usual, Trump's logic is backwards

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

That wasn't an actual quote, that was just my attempt at humor, but he did say something similar in that interview. Something like 'don't quote me on this if it doesn't happen'.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ah OK.
    Thanks.
    I shall correct my post.
    Scary thing is, that quote was completely believable.

14. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Trump doesn't drink because the bottle killed his brother. That is probably the smartest thing he has ever done and good for him.

Still, he talks like that and he isn't drunk. We are doomed.

15. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Part of the reason for his incoherence is the generally accepted fact that he simply doesn't get into the details of any subject and he needs to cover that up. So instead of offering specific proposals to help move the health care debate forward, he just says things like we need a "good deal," it's going to be a "terrific" plan, etc.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The early stages of senility is probably just like being drunk.

17. IronWaffle, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

If Thomas Kincaid painted a knock-off Pollock and it could talk, I imagine that's how it would sound.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ouch. And here I thought Sarah Palin spoke in word salad. :rolleyes: Compared to that Trump hot mess, she's an English scholar. I know some here hate the media, but really they should be given some sort of medal for getting through an interview like that.

I bet if someone were to take a scan of Trump's brain, it would resemble Swiss cheese. That's where all the missing words go..right into the holes. I don't think he was always like this. Aging sucks. :(

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

"Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." Oh Macbeth is having a Renaissance right now...

20. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Being concise isn't his strong-suit. It never has been.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes it does at least some days, but that's definitely not his only problem. He is under a lot of self-inflicted stress though. I could say "not my problem" but that doesn't work since he's the damn president of the United States so it's all our problem.

This part got me:

TRUMP: ... from the time I walked out on the stage — because I know. And by the way, I’d be the first to admit mixed. I’m a guy that will tell you mixed. There was no mix there. That was a standing ovation from the time I walked out to the time I left, and for five minutes after I had already gone. There was no mix.

WSJ: Yeah, there was a lot of supporters in the arena.

TRUMP: And I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful. So there was — there was no mix.
    It was all about that crowd to him. Huge crowd of young guys in uniform, cheering. No mixed reception. No boos (well...) NO MIX it was adulation all the way. Anybody prints about the boos is fake news monger. Anyway once he saw that crowd he was out of control really. What a magnificent dream come true. Etc. His ad libs could have been worse, I don't even want to think how.

And as we know now, there was his completely unneccessary lie about the nonexistent "greatest speech" feedback call from the "head of the Boy Scouts" afterwards? He just can't stop lying for no reason. He had a huge crowd and plenty cheering going on so that's not enough? He has to invent an attaboy call for after? (maybe to erase those little boos he heard)

Dear Mr. Prez: Just to correct the record sir, they didn't call to say thank you, they waited four darn days for you to apologize, and then they wrote an open letter to apologize for your having made that completely inappropriate speech in what was supposed to have been an apolitical event, but was worse than a stump speech for its attack on a past opponent, never mind the innuendo about your fun times at some yacht party.
    I don't care what some on the right say about how we're harping on his "unusual style" and other trivial stuff too much. It's not unusual, it's bizarre. And, it's not trivial. You live long enough, you get to know what a President of the USA sounds like and acts like. This is not presidential, it's just sort of scary. He lies, his speech pattern is deeply impaired by his thinking of other things while he's speaking, what the heck are we supposed to make of all that. Let him step down if he can't keep up.

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The man has gone full retard, you just don't do that.

23. jdclifford macrumors 6502

Sadly he can't use that as an excuse since he doesn't drink. Maybe he should start?

24. Zenithal macrumors 68040