Trump's Justice Dept. demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Looks like Il Douche' is using the Keebler Elf to go after people who do not like him. This is a step that is far too far. Hopefully, the court will slap him and his goons down and send them packing. If they don't I'd like to see Dreamhost delete all the info and tell them to straight to hell.

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

What's the justification? Did they consider the noise levels generated from protests is a physical threat? :confused:

3. zin macrumors 6502

Those gatherings on Inauguration Day were riots, not protests.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

This man really doesn't want to survive his term I guess.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

And 200 people were charged. What's the point of going after others retroactively? They want to charge anyone? Everyone? Why now? Is it because there's a new Women's march on the way? Would you want your information scooped up so broadly? Lastly, you don't see this as a disturbing precedent? Would have been so eager if the previous president attempted this?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Amazing the lengths this administration will go to in an attempt to silence the majority of the country.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just another day in Jeff Sessions land.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

After thinking about this for more than 5 minutes I have to say this is right out of a dictators handbook.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The justification for this is...some people don't like Trump?

I agree with Peace. This is what dictators do.

Attacking the MSM. Putting his own family in key positions. Installing propaganda media in the White House press corps. Trying to purge voter rolls by claiming fraud. And now this.

It happens a little at a time. Bill Maher calls this a slow-moving coup. That's as good a phrase for it as any.

11. zin macrumors 6502

The government already obtained a search warrant, meaning they have persuaded a judge that there is probable cause to suspect the server is concealing evidence.

A dictator would ignore the court process, arrest the server hoster, and seize the evidence regardless of their court appeal.

Let's not be hysterical.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Dictators usually start by exploiting flaws in the system. It is better to go after them while peaceful resistance is possible. Trump will go as far as the public will let him on ignoring protocol and the constitution as the populace will allow him.

This would be fine if they were going after specific individuals who had posted threatening material, but not when they are trying to do a blanket sweep, although it is probably legal under the patriot act since that hasn't had the chance to be ruled unconstitutional yet.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

From the search warrant :

https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-1322.html

§ 22–1322. Rioting or inciting to riot.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

15. jerwin macrumors 65816

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Register guns with the federal government? Hell, no. Then the government could abuse its power and track down all the people with guns and disarm them. And we can't have that. :confused:

But we can have the government track down ISP addresses of 1.3M people (really? there's just cause for all 1.3M?) because they happen not to like Trump.

Where are the search warrants for the ISP address of the KKK, alt-right, white supremicists and neo-nazi's?

17. samcraig macrumors P6

The irony of your post when discussing this matter - but so dismissive when it comes to Meuller's investigation.

18. zin macrumors 6502

Where did I dismiss the investigation? I've said he should complete it.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

You've been dismissive in various posts about the various aspects of the investigation as it relates to angle reported in the press. Am I mistaken? Or have you not believed there's a lot of witch hunting going on?

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm protesting your and the media's verbal and visual abuse of Keebler Elves. I use Bad Elf... :oops:

[​IMG]
    Keebler related (below) ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. zin macrumors 6502

I've dismissed the premise that Donald Trump coordinated with the Russians because it just didn't happen. I've also dismissed anonymous sources being used of which 'many, many' stories are just 'dead wrong'.

In this case, the warrant itself is publicly available and there is evidence that what they're investigating has occurred. The rioting was all over television and 200 people have already been indicted. There is nothing to dismiss.

22. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think Trump is keeping a close eye on North Korea in order to learn how he thinks he should govern. Maybe he'll offer Nevada and New Mexico big tax breaks to setup camps.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

What do you get out of calling them playground names?

Definitely seems sane.

24. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

What do I get? Satisfaction at having upset a certain type of person.

25. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

You and my 5 year old have a lot in common it seems.