Trump's Latest ACA 'threat' and His Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jan 10, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

When talking about repealing the ACA, Trump made threats to the Democrats that might stand in his way:

“It may not get approved the first time, and it may not get approved the second time, but the Democrats who will try not to approve it” will be at risk, warning that “they have 10 people coming up” for re-election in 2018. That alluded to Democratic senators in states he won.

“I won some of those states by numbers that nobody has seen. I will be out there campaigning,” he said.

Pretty hypocritical since he cried like a baby that Obama was out campaigning instead of Presidenting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/repeal-affordable-care-act-donald-trump.html

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Trump is (apparently) mis-reading how widespread the "immediate" is among Republican Senators to repealing the ACA.

More than a few of them have come out publicly against repealing the bill without having any sort of replacement ready. Whether this is because of purely electoral concern about the potential backlash of leaving tens of millions of people without insurance - or a more humanitarian concern for the welfare of millions of their fellow citizens, probably varies from Senator to Senator.

Trump also needs to recognize that the Republicans have only a narrow margin in the Senate. Democrats merely need to "peel off" two or three Republicans and the "immediate repeal" vote will fail. He won't get anything to sign.

Emphasis mine.

Trump apparently doesn't understand how a bill becomes law. As President he gets to sign (or veto) legislation put before him. He simply doesn't have the option of ignoring the wishes of the Senate as expressed by its votes. He can't veto a bill that hasn't passed, and he can't force a bill more to his liking to become law. And he certainly doesn't get to dictate the schedule that legislation is worked on. He can certainly suggest or propose an agenda. But I think he will very quickly find out that even Senators with an (R) after their name don't respond well to bullying and threats from the White House. Even from a President with an (R) after his.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if it was good for Obama then it's good for trump, unless YOU want to hold trump to a different standard :D
    in Murika, when ONE side get's stupid the other side is free to be just as stupid.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I didn't have a problem with Obama campaigning and won't have a problem with Trump campaigning. Although if he does, he's a hypocrite.

Now - those HERE that yelled that Obama shouldn't be campaigning - are they going to hypocrites as well? Or are they going to hold Trump to the same standard as Obama?

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can you please tell me, HOW do you "hold" someone "accountable"? as far as I know we only get to vote on the matter. so there is IMHO no tangible way to hold them "accountable" until election time.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't understand the question in this context.

It's very simple. People that echoed Trump's crying over Obama campaigning for Hillary - are they going to complain that Trump should be in the White House and not out campaigning? Or will it be OK since it's Trump?

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

I really didn't enjoy seeing Obama campaign for such a dreadful candidate.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if it happens, I think they will simply say what's good for the goose is good for the gander since obama got to do it.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

immaterial because the objection wasn't specific to the candidate - but because he was out campaigning when he should be "presidenting"

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think there is a more-than-reasonable chance that two years from now, Republicans seeking re-election will be begging President Trump to stay as far away from them as possible. And Democrats will be crossing their fingers and hoping that the great orange one takes to Twitter in support of their opponent.

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Trump doesn't want to be President. He wants to be CEO. He wants to be the idea man and then dictate to everyone to just get it done. That's why when he was vetting VPs, he was looking at people who had experience and who he could offload all the real work on.

And you are correct. The man-child has no idea how a bill becomes a law. Someone should make him sit down and watch some Schoolhouse Rock. It's at his level at least.