Trump's latest play to sideline real news media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Donald Trump, like Vladimir Putin, is moving to replace the legitimate media with propaganda:

More:

Nice, huh? Looks like Trump wants to sideline real news outfits so he can just get softball questions from his fawning sycophants.

2. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

CNN is not real news. That is why their viewers are leaving in droves.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They have an unhealthy obsession with twitter and fill up their front page too much with stories about pointless celebrities which is why I don't use them much anymore, but when you dig through that their reporting on real issues is pretty good.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe you hope CNN's viewers are leaving in droves just on your word that it produces no real news?

Sort of like Donald Trump hopes the same thing as he tweets from his bully pulpit? I believe it makes Donald Trump really happy, briefly, to imagine that he determines the fate of anything or anyone he blasts from his Twitter account.

I have no reality-TV-dog in this fight since I don't have a TV, but I decide for myself where to get the news I read and I decide for myself what I think about it. There's no way in hell I'd take someone else's word that some news source I read either is, or is not, worth reading.

Well okay, just for the heck of it I wandered over to CNN. These look real enough to me. And in the meantime, CNN thanks you and me both for driving traffic to their website LOL. Have a great day.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Trump is not a real president. That's why his voters are leaving him in droves.

6. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

What is your real news for you? Please enlighten us? Please don't say Breitbart

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It has to be Fox News I bet.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Clearly it's MacRumors

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

No, he sticks to hard-hitting journalism from CNS, InfoWars, The Blaze, The Drudge Report, and the National Review.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm frankly quite concerned about this.

Replacing news and facts with propaganda is a staple of many authoritarian regimes, from fictional ones like 1984 to real life ones like the Nazi, North Korean and Russian governments.

How far is Trump going to take this?

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you forgot the national enquirer.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

At a recent SS news conference there were two video questions from conservative bloggers. BARF! :mad:
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    As far as we let him. :(

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Trump's "press conference" today was downright bizarre.

Yes, he answered a question about anti-Semitic acts by talking about himself. Then he gave us some BS about how much love he was going to bring to this country. (Yes, you read that right.)

Then, instead of answering a question about the Iran nuclear deal:

So somehow whatever he's going to do with Iran will somehow be the fault of leakers, the Democratic party and Hillary Clinton.

The fact that Trump is mentally disturbed does not mean there isn't a method behind this crazy stuff. Bill Maher was right. This is a slow-moving coup.

14. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Pile On!!!

This is what got Trump elected.

Idiot Trump. Got elected. Because of horse%#^] condescension.

Enjoy 2020.

15. HEK, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

So-called president.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    The so-called president can try and take this as far as he wants. Doesn't matter as the news outlets he is shunning questions from are still going to report. The Donald can't even stop watching CNN and MSNBC himself. Every night he hangs on their every report. His tweets prove it.

With the Donald's so called staff leaking left and right it's gonna only get worse for him. Only his closest inner confidants were in the room with him during these phone conversations. Think about it, leaks are not coming from low level staff.

The rest of the government, congress, is commenting and listening to the news and it's only a matter of time before he goes too far and hangs himself. No congressman or senator has any loyalty to the Donald when it comes to their own re-election.

The Replublicans will be the ones pulling the rope as the Democrats kick the chair out from under him. Funny part is the Donald will be the one to put the noose around his own neck. He can't keep himself from doing it, his ego is too big, he is too set in his ways. He can't take advice and is incapable of critically analyzing and modifying his own thinking and behavior. Like Nixon on meth.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Donald Trump cannot handle the truth. Really this is nothing new though. If you look through his business history you will see multiple incidences of him boosting himself up with significant exaggerations. He carves out a narrative of how he wishes things were, rather then what they actually are. So everything becomes hyperbole. Everything is "the greatest", "the best", "the biggest", but the reality is much different and filled with bankruptcy, failures, and fraud.

Now he is extending that into the White House. And not surprising at all. It's what a con man does...keep playing the con until it blows up in your face, move on to the next con.

17. Thomas Veil, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Never assume this will always be the case. The next step after marginalizing the media is "investigating" them into submission or, worse, coordinating an effort of private citizens to buy controlling stock.

Perhaps this was even an ulterior motive into corralling media companies into five big conglomerates.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Trump needs to be competent for that.

IMG_3122.PNG

19. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Isn't that the best part though? Telling them exactly why he won all while their elitist egos dismiss it. Going to be a long 8 years for everyone.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2017 ---
    Is that any different than from before the election? IIRC his disapproval was just as high.

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, essentially, any time someone asks hm a difficult question, he's just going to brag about his win (while using incorrect numbers)? This is what you think is Presidential material? And you really think THIS is going to make the country better?

I mean, seriously, is there anyone on the right with a functioning brain any more, or have they all just fallen into this pit of "just piss off liberalzzz cuz it's funny!!!"

21. HEK Suspended

HEK

Based on first 28 days, be lucky if the so-called president makes four years. No way the 77,000 will make the same mistake twice.

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I think it's a great idea! Why should Obama have been the only guy with sycophants?:

1. “Golf, what does it do for you?” – CBS
    CBS’s Harry Smith opened an interview with Obama during his first year in office by mocking the notion that liberal reporters could be biased and then concluded it by asking the leader of the free world about golf. “Golf, what does it do for you?” the brave reporter asked.

2. “I’m wondering if you think that [Republican presidential candidates are] uninformed, out of touch, or irresponsible?” – CNN
    CNN reporters have been especially indignant that conservative media outlets are being called on at White House press conferences. But the outlet’s journalists weren’t always so tough on the White House. In November 2011, CNN’s Dan Lothian spoke truth to power by asking then-President Obama if he thought Republican presidential candidates Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain were “uninformed, out of touch, or irresponsible?“

3. “Do you have a vindictive streak?” -NBC
    NBC “Nightly News” anchor Lester Holt, who moderated one of the 2016 presidential debates, held Obama’s feet to the fire in one of his last interviews as president with questions like: “Do you have a vindictive streak?”

4. What has “Enchanted you the most from serving in this office?” – The New York Times
    Early on in Obama’s presidency, New York Times reporter Jeff Zeleny — with a straight face — asked Obama about what most “enchanted” him in his first 100 days in office. Zeleny is now CNN’s senior White House correspondent.

5. “In this fatherless world, where did you learn to love?” – CBS
    In one of the harder-hitting questions of all time, CBS reporter Harry Smith asked Obama about the way he acquired feelings. “In this fatherless world, where did you learn to love?” Smith asked.

6. “What hard things do you want to tackle at this point?” – CNN
    CNN’s Jim Acosta, who has been especially upset about conservative media access to the White House, held Obama’s feet to the fire by noting, “it seems that you’ve built up some political capital for the remaining months of your presidency,” before asking: “What hard things do you want to tackle at this point?”

7. “Are you ready to call yourself the ‘comeback kid’?” – Reuters
    Reuters’s Caren Bohan gushed over Obama at a 2010 press conference, saying he “racked up a lot of wins in the last few weeks that a lot of people thought would be difficult to come by” before asking: “Are you ready to call yourself the ‘comeback kid’?

8. “You definitely have some impressive accomplishments….And more than a lot of presidents who manage to get reelected. My question is, is it enough?” – CBS
    CBS’s Steve Kroft was mocked in 2011 when he spent an interview with Obama on “60 Minutes” lobbing softball question after softball question, including this remarkable exchange:

KROFT: You definitely have some impressive accomplishments. OBAMA: Thank you, Steve. KROFT: No, you do. And more than a lot of presidents who manage to get reelected. My question is, is it enough? Why do you think you deserve to be reelected?

The Atlantic’s Conor Friedersdorf called the interview “a typical example of a broadcast journalist failing to hold a powerful politician accountable.”

9. “Have you given up on the Republicans?” – CBS
    Not to be content with praising the interviewee’s accomplishments, Kroft went on to ask the president whether he had “given up” on the GOP. “Have you given up on the Republicans?” Kroft asked. “Have you stopped reaching out to them? Are you just out there now trying to get your message across?”

10. “Tell me, what do you consider your major accomplishments?” – CBS (Again)
    After buttering Obama up with soft questions about his golf game and whether he had given up on Republicans, Kroft finally went in for the kill. “Tell me, what do you consider your major accomplishments?” he asked. The Washington Free Beacon compiled some of Kroft’s most openly affectionate moments towards Obama.​

23. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's not a good idea for any president to get softball questions in a press conference. A number of the instances above are stated as being from interviews -- which are by definition puff pieces. They are profiles of a person, not hard news.

Then too, President Obama wasn't a whack-a-doodle during his press conferences. If Obama had said the kind of bizarre things Trump says, the media would have been just as hard on him.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The difference is the right wing would have too. Oh how they have sold their soul.

25. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'll bet you're glad Hillary didn't win then, because softball questions would have been all that were asked--assuming there even were press conferences!:

Fawning Press Asks Softball Questions of Hillary Clinton on New Campaign Plane
    After expressing faux outrage that Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton has not held a press conference for about nine months, Clinton’s traveling campaign press corps on Monday threw nothing but softball questions at Clinton when she walked back and spoke to them for a minute-and-a-half on Hill Force One, her new Boeing 737 campaign plane. Clinton spent twenty-five seconds of her time with the press joshing with a Clinton press aide, leaving only one minute for time spent speaking directly with the press.

A smiling Clinton, holding a roll of papers in her left hand, says to the press, “Hey guys! Welcome to our big plane! (Press responds, “Hi!”) It’s so exciting!”

First question to Clinton, “What do you think?”

Clinton replies, “I think it’s pretty cool, don’t you?”

Clinton talks over the second question, “How does it feel to…” and leans over the reporter telling him, “You’re supposed to say yes.” (Laughter from reporters.)

Third question, “Are you glad to have all of us with you?”

Clinton, “I am so happy to have all of you with me!”

Fourth question, “Have you missed us?”

Clinton, “I’ve been just waiting for this moment. And I’m thrill…No, really and I’ll come back and talk to you more formally but I wanted to welcome you onto the plane!”

Fifth question, “How was your Labor Day weekend?”

Clinton, “It was good! It was really good, yeah! We had a good time, the last moment of…(Clinton exaggerates a relaxing exhaling to demonstrate calm.)”

Clinton interrupts her reply to greet Showtime’s Mark McKinnon who is filming a documentary program on the election, “Hello Mark! I recognize your hat. How are you? I’m glad you’re here!”

Clinton finishes her reply to the Labor Day weekend question, “Yeah, last moment before the mad dash–the next two months. So I hope you guys are ready. And uh…

Sixth question, “Are you ready?”

Clinton, “I’m ready. I’m more than ready. (To staffer) Are you ready Ruhn? (sp)

Clinton staffer, “Very ready.”

Clinton, “Has Ruhn (sp) been taking good care of you?”

Press, “Yeah, he’s great. He has”

Staffer, “They are lying. (Laughter.) It’s been great.”

Clinton, “It really has been, how long have you been working for me now?”

Staffer, “Uh, two-and-a-half years?”

Clinton, “Two-and-a-half years. He started right out of, you were still, still in college?

Reporter, “Right out of Penn!”

Clinton, “Right out of Penn!”

Reporter, “Stole him right out of college.”

Clinton, “I know, I know. We’re so happy.”

Reporter, “Happy Labor Day!”

Clinton, “What?”

Reporter, “Happy Labor Day!”

Clinton, “Happy Labor Day! I know, it’s exactly right.”

Reporter, “Do you have a Labor Day message?”

Clinton, “Oh, I do. You’ll hear it. (Makes thumbs up gesture with right hand.) I definitely, I definitely do. If you want more happy Labor Days you know who to voter for!” (Laughter.)

Clinton waves, “Thanks. I’ll come back later. Bye!”​