Trump's lie about Clapper

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 13, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I haven't been keeping up with this story, but here's another thread Trump has been trying to use to say that the Russia probe is an unfounded witch hunt. James Clapper, Obama's head of DNI, talked about it in a TV interview; Trump's put forward a couple of tweets about it:

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.03.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.04.14 AM.png

Just one problem; this isn't what Clapper said. In that TV interview, he had this to say:

Todd: "Does intelligence exist that can definitively answer the following question, whether there were improper contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian officials?"

Clapper: "We did not include any evidence in our report, and I say, ‘our,’ that's NSA, FBI and CIA, with my office, the Director of National Intelligence, that had anything, that had any reflection of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and the Russians. There was no evidence of that included in our report."

Todd: "I understand that. But does it exist?"

Clapper: "Not to my knowledge."​

Which is not exactly a resounding denial. Clapper goes into more detail on this point in another TV interview:

Clapper said that in his more than six years as DNI, he regularly deferred to the FBI when a counterintelligence investigation could possibly morph into a criminal investigation.

"That was certainly the practice I followed here," he said of the FBI’s ongoing Russia investigation. "So it’s not surprising or abnormal that I would not have known about the investigation, or even more importantly, the content of that investigation.

"So I don’t know if there was collusion or not," added Clapper, who resigned at the end of President Barack Obama’s term.

Later in the interview, Clapper was asked if he agrees with Trump that the Russian investigation is a "witch hunt," to which he replied, "I don’t believe it is."​

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-mostly-false-claim-clapper-said-no-collusio/

So Trump is saying here that when Clapper says "not to my knowledge", he means "no". Which is not what Clapper meant. But who cares, Trump is using the statement in that manner anyway...

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

If there was evidence, don't you think it would have been presented by now? And Clapper or someone else would answer in the affirmative at some point?

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Comey said that there is an ongoing FBI investigation into whether the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. That means there is some evidence. Whether that evidence raises to the level of proof is what is being investigated.

4. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You just made my point. It doesn't exist today. It could tomorrow sure.

5. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot; there's never any need for an "investigation" to dig up evidence; it's always plainly in sight for anybody to see. I mean, a Russian spy network will always leave clear and obvious signs of their presence, right? :p

Look, Clapper himself said that he would have been out of the loop on any FBI investigation that might lead to criminal charges. And an investigation takes time. Proving a negative is always the hardest thing to do, so if there wasn't any collusion, the best evidence for that would be a thorough and complete investigation showing no collusion, right?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It might exist but they will deny it as not to contaminate the investigation.

7. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

9. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I have no problem with the investigation. It just hasn't turned up anything yet. The Clinton investigation turned up more.

10. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Impeachment is the last thing I care about. For all his insane flailing, Trump has yet to destroy the republic; with any luck, we'll survive his term in office. But I really don't want the Russians coming in and messing with our election process; best to determine for certain whether they did, how they did it, and how to prevent it in the future...

11. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

What is the evidence?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's in his tax returns, oh wait.

13. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Yes, the Russians manipulated the election. But where is the collusion?

14. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Now, if only Trump would get out of the way of the investigation (firing the head investigator, screaming about it on Twitter and in interviews, etc.), it might actually make some progress and determine with some certainty exactly what did and did not happen...

15. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

McCabe said there was no obstruction.

16. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Do you know that or is it conjecture?

17. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, did they now? You mean, there's actual evidence of manipulation? What, pray tell, did they manipulate -- I've heard that they had a significant preference for Trump over Clinton. It might just be the case that they tried to get in touch with Trump's camp, in order to help them...

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He hasn't released them yet so it's something.

19. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

They manipulated the election in the same way the media does. RT was their method of influencing the vote.

20. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You don't have my tax returns. Does that mean I'm doing something illegal?

21. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Funny thing; right up until a couple of days ago, McCabe was not leading the organization handling the investigation. Said organization is now scrambling to deal with the change in leadership. Which means it necessarily isn't putting its full effort into the investigation; Comey himself was supposedly working to secure an increase in resources for the effort, and with Comey gone, that increase is likely not going to happen.

And, who again got rid of Comey? Oh, the guy who was being investigated? Funny, that seems like obstruction to me...
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2017 ---
    I don't think the FBI was investigating RT.

22. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

McCabe said he doesn't need any more resources. Is he a Trump appointee?

23. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, he did just get a huge promotion from Trump...

24. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Np, he didn't. He is acting FBI Director. A new one will be appointed over McCabe.

25. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

RT was mentioned in the intelligence report. They should have mentioned CNN while they were at it!