Trump's Pick To Head The VA Is A Trainwreck

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Apr 25, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

The hits against this guy just keep on coming. First it was drunken behaviour while on duty and now we have him prescribing drugs for his own use and a drinking problem. This stuff is coming from colleagues, too. Guess it's just another case of Trump choosing the best to work for him. Really makes me wonder about the veracity of Trumps physical that the guy did. Of course, the WH is backing him, despite all the info coming out on him.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article...rugs-and-had-a-drinking-problem-democrat-says

2. 0007776 Suspended

Given the amount of smoke I’m sure there is credibility to the allegations. But I’m surprised nothing had come out on him during either the Bush or Obama administrations. It’s not like the allegations are he just started drinking during the Trump Administration.

3. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

He will fit right in..

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If those were the allegations, that might not be all that hard to believe.

5. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

According to the article he was banging on the door of a female associate during an Obama trip and the Secret Service took care of it. Who knows what they may have reported and to whom. My guess is that there are probably some references in his files somewhere and Trump just doesn't give a hoot, because the guy lied for him on his physical.

6. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I used to be an associate at a big DC law firm that did vetting for presidential nominations. It's a huge, laborious, serious deal. I don't understand what's going on. Democrats know how to do this. Republicans know how to do this. I personally know Republicans who know how to do this. I literally know exactly whom I would pick up the phone and call if I were a republican politician. And I only spent three years practicing in DC. There are certainly people in the administration who know this. Who on earth is just shrugging their shoulders and deciding it is no big deal to forego all vetting? Well, I know who. But are there no Republicans who can do anything to persuade this man to use a little caution and judgement?

7. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-including-that-crashed-car-while-drunk.html

He denies it..

He was Obama doctor..

In 2006, while still in Iraq, Jackson was selected as a White House physician. Since arriving at the White House, he has directed the Executive Health Care for the President’s Cabinet and senior staff, served as physician supervisor for the Camp David Presidential Retreat, held the position of physician to the White House and led the White House Medical Unit as its director. He has served as White House physician during the past three administrations and was the appointed physician to the president for President Obama. In January 2017, Jackson made headlines after treating a girl who was bitten by Sunny, one of the Obamas' dogs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronny_Jackson

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

FAKE NEWS.

It wasn't the Blues that made that allegation. It was his own colleagues.

This is what makes it more telling. If you've read the previous posts, no-one is claiming this has happened just because Trump. It's even more damning that he was there and possibly doing this during Obama's years as well. And if what you're saying is true, he was also doing this during GWB's years (assuming that his actions were like this starting and during both Bush's and Obama's tenure).

The fact that he was as off the chain as that while taking care of the health of 3 different POTUSes is more damning than the allegations themselves.

BL.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Drinking on the job, making mistakes that are covered up or fly under the radar are not party-line issues.

Does he steal government funds for private use, like redecorating his office, using government aircraft for private trips, giving his colleagues "merit-based" raises and flying first-class everywhere with an entourage that isn't needed? If so, he can unequivocally count himself as among "the best".

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Well, when you try to hire people without vetting...

11. Zenithal macrumors 604

Drinking on the job to the point of intoxication is military misconduct. When a score of hard right GOP politicians are wary, you know it's a mistake they wouldn't touch.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The fact remains, he doesn't have the experience to run the VA.

He denied an IG report, and then that IG report was released. It seems to corroborate all the accusations of poor behavior.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Why do people take jobs in this administration? It rarely ends well.

This guy was well liked by those who didn't really know him, and now...

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Diet-Trump. They got away, they don’t care, they will gladly take the tax dollars of hundreds or thousands of Americans who work - actual work, not dinner meetings after govt. paid flights - for their own well-being.

This was 27 years ago... things are worse.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Was well-liked by those who really knew him too. It took him being nominated by Trump for them to turn on him. Guy has been around for a long time. Politics is politics. People sat on stuff until they needed to use it. Politics is a dirty game unfortunately.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

If he doesn't clinch the position, they could always nominate another long-time Trump quack doctor. This one fits the bill:

ml2sfqpa1f8ypwpqzorv.jpg
    27-Trump-and-dr-bornstein.w710.h473.jpg

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Dude looks like Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation) when he played Doctor Okunn in Independence Day.

BL.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

What I don’t understand here is if these allegations are true (which sounds like they may be given the amount of info pouring out), I don’t understand how this guy still has a job- now or in any other administration. As the President’s personal physician you’d expect the secret service (or whoever) would require the highest level of professionalism. If the President requires emergency surgery on Air Force One do you want some inebriated man operating on you? This is a VERY easy way to lose your medical license and incur criminal charges and lawsuits.

I do question the comments about him “handing out drugs”. I’m pretty sure it’s part of his job description to hand out Ambien on long flights that go through multiple time zones so the President and his entourage are well rested and prepared for the job ahead. So I don’t necessarily think that’s illegal or unethical. Plenty of regular docs prescribe like that.

Prescribing himself medications is legal technically (though usually frowned upon), unless they are controlled substances In which case is very illegal. Being drunk on the job or abusing medication should be automatic dishonorable discharge and potentially criminal charges.

As for his attitude, I guess you can say there are a lot of doctors and hospital admins with big egos and that are a pain in the @$$ to work with. Not an ideal candidate in my mind, but really not anything surprising in the medical field- especially with doctors who think they’re the best at what they do.

I agree, I don’t understand how the Trump Administration has failed time and time again at vetting the appointments. This seems like politics 101. The incompetence never ends.

I agree here as well, I don’t see how being a physician is sufficient qualification to run an organization like the VA. If he has had extensive experience being a hospital administrator, that might be one thing, but I don’t think that’s the case. There’s a big difference between being a doctor and running a hospital.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2018 ---
    He probably won’t be approved for the VA appointment, but he may at least have a chance when the current presidential physician gets fired. :p

I wouldn’t trust a doctor who uses that small of a monitor hahah

19. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

20. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

He was Obamas doctor..

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

That doesn't confer on him any more ability to lead the VA.

22. IronWaffle, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Since he's withdrawn there's only one more logical option.

TV experience...
    on a Fox-owned property...
    about the military.

[​IMG]

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The sheer laziness of the Trump Administration never ceases to amaze me.

This surely has to be a case of an individual nominated for a very important Government position, one that makes a critical difference to the daily lives of millions of our military veterans, and a position that by law has to be approved by Congress.

And they simply don't bother to do their homework.

One of my takeaways from James Comey's book was the comparison of Trump and his associates to Mafia Dons. The obsequious ass-kissing. The lack of even a semblance of collegiality. Obviously, no-one in the Trump White House has the integrity and strength of character to contradict Trump.

Where was the White House Chief of Staff? Doesn't he have a role to say: "Hey, Mr President, I know you think Dr. Jackson is a great physician. But Veterans Affairs is a massive bureaucracy, with a huge staff and a gargantuan budget. Do you really think Jackson is the best person we can find? Is his appointment going to be the best thing for the millions of Vets that need our help? I think we can do a lot better if we look a little harder?"

No one in the Trump Administration had the courage and integrity to do this. And that should be an easy job. God help us when the White House comes to tackle a really tough job.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

My question: is the vetting process out the window with Trump at the helm in combination with the Trump Administration finding it difficult to, despite Trump’s insistence of only the best, find qualified well respected people who are willing to work for him?

White House departures: Who's been fired and who resigned
    Through Feb 2018, seems like a long list reflective of just how troubled this Administration is, how troubled Supreme Leader is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-whos-been-fired-and-who-resigned/382984002/