Trump's pledge to only take $1 salary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Nov 16, 2016.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Just read this article by Politico over how Trump should take the full salary as president

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/donald-trump-salary-george-washington-214458

The writer worries that "that the $1 pledge is a diversion from all of the far, far more lucrative ways in which Trump’s presidency could enrich him and his family," however, I don't think it would be any more different if Trump took the full $400k because then, magically, the people are his master or something so he'll think twice about it?

The last sentence of the article:

Is it just me or is that a complete outstretch of the situation? Whether Trump takes $400k or just a $1, if he wants to pull shady deals, he will pull shady deals regardless. If he wants to help the people, he will help the people. I don't think that this could be a 'he might not pull selfish deals if he gets $400k salary'.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Both Steve and Donald took $1 salaries. I guess great minds think alike.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

In other news - he's able to bill out his private jet when his family travels with secret service.. so there's a money maker right there

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He doesn't need the salary when his tax plan will kick back far more to him. Plus, why would he want anything that he'd have to pay taxes on? :D

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It's Politico being Politico. They had no problem with Hillary's Clinton Foundation even though it probably qualifies for RICO investigations.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The more troubling thing is he already said that he will be sharing all sorts of confidential and secret information with his sons and daughters, who will be running his companies. They will certainly use this information to their advantage and to the disadvantage of their competitors.

This is a level of conflict of interest, corruption, and nepotism never before seen in the U.S. - literally unprecedented.

You thought Bill Clinton having a brief chat with Loretta Lynch in an airplane was bad? You thought Hilary taking personal meetings with donors to her charity was bad? Wait until the Trump kids are taking meetings and making deals with Russian banks in exchange for their Dad looking the other way when they invade whatever country they want.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Barack's mother-in-law has lived rent-free in the White House for almost eight years. As a taxpayer I should be outraged.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs was the owner of millions of Apple shares. His compensation was therefore directly tied to his performance as Chief Executive.

Donald Trump doesn't own any more "shares" of the United States than any other citizen. It's purely optics, but he should take the full salary as an acknowledgement that he is in fact a public servant.

10. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Donald Trump has a responsibility to the American people that no amount of money can represent. It is fitting, therefore, that he is taking a token salary. He will be free of the corruption of money, and able to concentrate purely on his own performance as President.

I would say that that is ideal. Seemed to work for Jobs. Cook's comparatively huge salary does not reflect his performance, which has been woefully lacking.

11. cube macrumors G5

A conflict of interest that could be beneficial would be for NOAA and USGS to get additional funding.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why can't he be a public servant for $1 a year?

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

LOL...oh man. Free from corruption. :D You're funny.

He is now his own Post Office hotel landlord. The conflict of interest is high in this family.

Heck, already they used the 60 minutes interview to peddle Ivanka's $10,000 bracelet.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Nobody (these days) runs for President because they need the money. The salary itself is a drop in the bucket. The issue is that President is doing a full-time job working for the American people.

If I had a maid who offered to clean my house for no pay, I would immediately begin to wonder how she was compensating herself.

Far more concerning to me, from a fiscal standpoint, is Trump's belief that he can take weekends off at Trump Tower or Mar-a-Lago. The amount of money it will cost to accommodate that unprecedented request will make the foregone salary look like a rounding error.

The Executive Office has the Marine One Helicopter for a reason. That is so it can take the President and his family to Camp David for "time off". Barack Obama took up golf for a reason: Because he could play it a golf course that was adjacent to a military airfield that was accessible for the President's helicopter.

Driving Donald Trump's motorcade through New York traffic twice a week is going to cost a fortune. And cause no end of traffic misery.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Had he said he was going to take the salary he would have been blasted for taking it while being a billionaire. He can't win with certain groups. What he should have done was take the salary and then show his monthly paystub and a check written out to charities. Stuff like NRA-ILA. Give people something to complain about once a month.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    Um he hasn't asked for Security Clearances for his children. Funny though now people are worried about security clearances but had no problem with Clinton sharing details of Benghazi with Chelsea. :confused:

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't see why. He has enough greenbacks in his bank account, and if you think that whoever sits in the Oval Office acknowledges the fact that he is a public servant because of that salary, well... you have a very low and materialistic view of the office of the President of the United States.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I never said he asked for security clearance. Not sure why you chose to respond to that strawman. In any case, the President can disclose the information to whoever he or she wants - regardless of clearance.

He has said he will be discussing and taking advice from his children on all matters. This inevitably involves disclosing confidential and secret information. He also said his children will be running his companies. Do you deny this would be a gross conflict of interest?

A sharing secret information with B alone is not a bad thing. This is what Clinton did.
    A sharing the information with B, where B uses that information for Bs profit is bad judgment, but not necessarily a conflict. Chelsea did not profit from that sharing at all.
    A sharing the information with B, where B uses that information for As profit is a huge problem. This is what Trump is saying he will do.

Do you really not see the difference?

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No they need to have the appropriate clearance, signed non-disclosure agreement, and the need to know

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Not really, you can seek advice without sharing confidential information. He can simply ask :"What do you think is the main problem for US entrepeneurs?". Do you think that the WH shares confidential information with all the people that are asked for advice?

Didn't Chelsea's husband profit from info on Greece's recession by pulling out from his hedge account at the right moment?

21. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Good lord, is that true? I'd like a source for that as well.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Please cite a law or case that says this. Everything I read has said the President can disclose anything to anyone without breaking any laws.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

as a starter:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...laws-doomed-hedge-fund-gambled-on-greece.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/chelsea-clinton-foundation-marc-husband-230859

http://investmentwatchblog.com/hill...s-are-gonna-be-pissed-making-money-off-anoth/

I think there's some primary source (wikileaks) and some other source online.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    I think that the president can disclose, but that doesn't mean that whoever receives the info can actually receive the info.

24. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Odd. Why would the transition team blame it on a "low level staffer"?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/low-level-...rity-clearances-trumps-kids/story?id=43564888