Trump's Secret Escalation in Syria... and it's Obama's Fault.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Huntn, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

... How convienent.
    No announcents, no discussion, Trump Administration sends ground troops to Syria as outlined by Rachel Maddow tonight, while pointing out that he spent all of 2013 saying the U.S. had no business in Syria, nor has a specific reason been articulated, what specifically the U.S. goal is. Obama asked The GOP Congress authorize war in Syria...they declined to hold a vote. Implemented behind closed doors, there appears to be no attempt from POTUS to inform our citizens what the plan is. So, let's hear from the Hillary the War Monger crowd. It's been too long since we had a ground war on our hands. :oops:

Trump Hypocrisy: Blaming Syrian Chemical Attack on Obama

After a grisly chemical attack left dozens of people dead in Syria on Tuesday, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer was quick to blame—of course—former President Barack Obama.

"Today's chemical attack in Syria against innocent people including women and children is reprehensible and cannot be ignored by the civilized world," Spicer told reporters. "These heinous actions by the Bashar al-Assad regime are a consequence of the past administration's weakness and irresolution." Spicer also said: "President Obama said in 2012 he would establish a red line against the use of chemical weapons and then did nothing. The United States stands with our allies across the globe to condemn this intolerable act." (Later in the day, the White House issued a statement echoing Spicer's remarks.)

It will come as no surprise at this point that the Trump White House's position was hypocritical. First, Obama's red line at the time was a threat of US military action against Syria should it continue to use chemical weapons. When Obama asked the GOP-led Congress to authorize the potential use of force against Syria, the Republicans, not wanting to take a firm stance, declined to hold a vote. Still, Obama's move prompted Assad to agree to a Russian-brokered deal to give up his chemical weapons. To a degree, Obama's threat worked.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Oclueless armed the rebels. We have no business there so yes it's the previos morons fault to a large degree

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It certainly is a good thing we didn't get a warmonger in as the US president. Can you imagine?

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Trump and the GOP members of Congress actively campaigned to be in a position of responsibility. So be it. The GOP controls Congress and the Presidency now, so as time goes by they own issue more and Obama owns it less. The same was true about the economy that Obama inherited.

That being said, we are where we are. I don't want my government officials pointing fingers and focusing on the past. I want them offering solutions focusing on the future, preferably ones that avoid more mass murder of Syrian civilians by Assad's regime, Russia, ISIS, and the rebels.

5. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah you can't really pin this on Trump. He's been president for 3 months.

Not to mention Obama's "red line" blunder

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You mean getting Assad to (1) admit he had WMD and (2) dispose of 600 metric tons of it in a verifiable way controlled by the US? Sounds to me like he did a lot better than, say, Dubya did with Iraq.

Still, the real issue now is where the chemical agents came from for the attack. IF the Assad regime genuinely got rid of its WMD stockpile, then are they getting more from the Russians? Or has Assad kept a secret stockpile or is producing more? Either way, this is Trump's problem now. Obama has nothing more to do with it.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Why would Assad use chem weapons now? The US is trying anything to not intervene, Russia is supporting, the EU foreign policy is as confusing as never. Why would he do something that the international community- including Russia - can't ignore ?

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Can't compare Obama - Syria with Bush - Iraq. That's silly.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You're right. Obama was magnitudes more competent.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    Hatred. Fear. Lust for power.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because there is no justification for logic or reason when it comes to America's targets. Just narratives that directly contradict the facts, such as the fact that we destroyed and verified the chemical weapons were gone. The notion that you could restart a chemical weapons program secretly is to not understand the logistics, open to tracking for anyone paying attention, involved. It simply can't be done without American surveillance knowing. Same goes for nuclear programs, but it's better to spoon feed the American public our narratives for war.

11. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Nope that's not what I said. Don't distract from your poor analogy.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Trump meets with King Abdullah II of Jordan today.

13. Huntn, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm sorry but you logic does not add up. Let's see if I have this close to being right. Please anyone correct me where they think I'm wrong.

1. What does arming rebels have to do with it? In response they deserve whatever Assad dishes out, even when it's directed at women an children? We used to fight against heinous dictators not for them. :oops:
    2. Obama asked the GOP Congress for authorization to move US military operations into Syria against Assad. They declined to hold a vote.
    3. Trump spent his public existence prior to becoming President railing against the then Administration about why Syria was not our problem.
    4. Instead of seeking support from Congress, Trump does not bother to ask them nor tell the American public he is escalating operations In Syria. He just does it and not a peep from them.
    5. Nor does he bother to make any declarations about who we are fighting there. Are we now fighting the rebels along with Russia and supporting Assad?
    6. Is this a complete about face changing sides in Syria? Note, the US under Obama supported the Rebels against a heinous regime, not unlike the Sadam Hussein in Iraq (the official reason under a previous GOP Administration after WMD was proven to be a convenient fantasy).
    7. Duh, guess who Russia supports in Syria? Russia scores BIG with their installed puppet POTUS. :mad:
    8. What I really want is to hear the GOP's official position on this turn of events.

14. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Actually the red line was respected... until now. With Trump in office, playing nice with the Russians, Assad can do anything he wants.
    You're wrong. It's spelled escalating. Everything else is pretty much on spot.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I pity the Jordanians. The seem to be an island of sanity in a sea of insanity.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

See post 13.
    I had already fixed this typo. :p

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Pretty sure the point of the story is that Congress blocked action. You could lay some blame with Obama, but it's wrong to say it's his fault without acknowledging that any action/non-action was a direct result from him vs Congress having influence.

18. zin macrumors 6502

Arming rebels (terrorists) has prolonged the situation in Syria. Without Obama's support, the rebels (terrorists) would've been crushed and ISIS wouldn't have expanded.

Obama asked for congressional authorisation but also proclaimed that he believed he did not need it. Seeking congresssional authorisation didn't stop him from getting involved.

On the campaign trail, Trump criticised the government for going public about everything the U.S. was doing militarily. For better or worse that's what he's doing. We don't know if the U.S. is still supporting the rebels but given the policy shift in terms of Assad, we can at least state they're no longer enthusiastic about it.

Under Obama, the U.S. supported TERRORISTS for the purposes of regime change. Terrorists that behead children, fire mortars into civilian areas, and, yes, use chemical weapons supplied by Saudi Arabia.

Leave the region. Stop supporting rebels. Allow Assad to reclaim his country and crush the rebel terrorists as well as the ISIS terrorists, indistinguishable as they may be. If you must bomb terrorists, seek the permission of the Syrian Government.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Just curious, did you want congress to give authorization?

20. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

No thanks
    It was? News to me.

21. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Why would the USA use nuclear weapons in 1945? The war in Europe was over, the US and Russia were closing in on the Japanese mainland from both sides, everybody knew the end was in sight.

I think the answer back then would be the same as the answer today.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hillary supported ocluless stupidity, so yes it's good we did not get her elected.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Man do we have short memories. I'm pretty sure Bush was blamed repeatedly throughout Obama's first term and into Obama's re-election campaign. "So as time goes by"? The guys been there for 2 months, we're not talking 3yrs. I mean I dislike the prick as much as anyone but I'm at least willing to be fair.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. had we not armed the rebels the rebellion would have died long ago.
    2. yeah, and he went full war monger all by himself, thanks for admitting that. it's a war crime to bomb a nation w/o it's consent he did not even have a declaration of war to support his bombing.
    3. the war monger idiot before trump made it our problem, hope trump works with the Russians and lets THEM handle it while we withdraw.
    4. you mean like Obama before him who did as he pleased anyway? we are already engaged there thanks to stupid obama.
    5. are you serious?
    6. again, there was no reason to support the rebels in the first place, hell Obama changed the law so he could arm terrorist rebels & weapons have ended up with ISIS. that is how retarded Obama is.
    7. they support their ally?
    8 tweet them.
    you spelled "stupid" wrong. the moron did not learn from the mess he made in Libya where 1000's have died & over 2.5 million have fled AFTER we "liberated" them.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think you need to go back and re-read the history on the subject.