Trump's speech on Understanding The Threat: Radical Islam And The Age Of Terror

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 15, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Radical_Islam_Speech.pdf

Interesting speech. Clearly he thinks pulling out never works.

Also - I think he should stay away from using tax returns as proof points if he's not going to release his.

Oh - and he back peddles. In this speech he no longer says Hillary and Obama are founders. His exact words are: "The rise of ISIS is the direct result of policy decisions made by President Obama and Secretary Clinton"

Quite a different take than his previous one.

I looked at some of his sources and found them quite questionable. I'll look forward to reading a fact check report...

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Comrade Trump can read all the TelePrompTer speeches (such low energy) he wants. The fact is, he praises Putin, he made the GOP platform more Russia friendly, he wants to end NATO and his campaign manager has secret deals with the Russians. Comrade Trump will never, ever be President of the United Stated of America.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If by holding them to their agreement is wanting to end NATO, sure.
    It's funny you all pushing the DNC's narrative of Russian backing so hard.
    Meanwhile crickets about the Clinton foundation and Clinton as SoS agreeing to the Russian uranium deal.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Clinton Foundation allegations are troubling but nothing near being proven. Russian uranium deal is nothing. Donald Trump must never get near the White House.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So what you basically just typed was "The God Queen can do no wrong."

Got it.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Donald Trump in 2016 (speaking about President Obama):

I will just note that the Muslim Brotherhood is not actually in power in Egypt. And in fact is one of a number of Islamist organizations that are either banned or heavily restricted in that country. Facts are difficult things for most sane people to keep track of. So it's not totally surprising that an unstable imbecile like Trump has problems with them.

Donald Trump on Fox News, in 2011 (when the Egyptian revolution was actually going on):

Good to know Donald. Having $10 billion makes you a genius, qualified to run the United States. But having $70 billion makes you a terrible despot. What is the actual dollar figure that's the cross-over point? If ONE Mar-A-Lago is awesome, wouldn't two or three be somewhat better?

Hopefully we'll get our money back too. But I'm not counting on.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Whatever. Don't know why I wasted my time.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Marching orders paid per post?

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Sigh, I feel sorry the country as these idiots lead more idiots into forgetting about history. The war in Iraq has yet to be "mission accomplished". Acknowledging this sad fact is the first step toward fixing this mess we've created. Second step, be very, very, very careful about the foreign fighters we train and give weapons.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm sorta wondering why Donald Trump wasted his time giving this speech.

Because, to be honest, it's unlikely to change too many voters' minds. "Extreme vetting" of immigrants (and visitors?) isn't going to get many independents or Democrats to switch to Trump. "Making an alliance with Russia" is more likely to turn people off than otherwise.

At best it was an exercise for Trump to reassure the few remaining supporters he has among the GOP establishment that he can stick to the teleprompter script long enough to get through a speech. Something I think that even Sarah Palin was capable of. And a pretty low standard.

Donald Trump has got eighty or so days before the election. And a betting man would say he'll use at least half of them to say something deeply stupid and or offensive.

11. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

How long has NATO not been pulling their end? Why push this now? Did NATO countries follow us into Afghanistan and Iraq (per treaty)? Maybe we should give them partial credit or an outright refund for the stupidity in Iraq.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

it's the whole

but but obama
    but but clinton

13. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Yeah lol. I doubt Trump wrote this. That would have required reading and studying and what not. It's much easier to just pass the blame.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Where were all these hawkish DNC coldwar hunchbacks with the Ukraine was literally invaded and occupied? Don't even bring up what happened to Georgia.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm not really sure what your point is.

Are you saying we should have gone to war with Russia over the annexation of Crimea and Russian attacks on Georgia? (That may be a valid response, but I'm not sure too many people would agree with it.)

The point of an effective foreign policy is that you create the conditions where you get what you want without having to go to war. But Donald Trump seems to be broadcasting to Vladimir Putin that he'd be just fine if the Russians finished taking another big bite out of that country. Or - perhaps more ominously - he'd do a deal with Vladimir Putin over that country. Which is the sort of deal that hasn't worked out so well in the past.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Vladimer Putin has ALREADY TAKEN a big bite, so what are you calling on Barry Obama to do as a response?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, Trumps performance as a candidate has bee so poor that questions like that don't even register. Had Republicans chosen a candidate who wasn't so repellant, there would be more reason to focus on HRC's activities. As it appears now, Trump's negatives overwhelm Hillary's, and he has no one to blame but himself.

18. Eraserhead, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Baltics do hold up their end of the deal. I'm confident they spend the required 2% of GDP on defence.
    EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia_Defence_Forces - 2.07%
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_Armed_Forces - 1.48%
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_National_Armed_Forces - 1.4%

So they don't all, but Estonia does.

--- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2016 ---
    The difference with Crimea is that a large majority of the population wanted to become part of Russia - as you can see from the polling on that question. The other problem is that the large Russian speaking population meant that the country wasn't stable in its direction. Presuming they can move on without Crimea they should be able to be more stable.

19. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

You have taken the neocon ‘new cold war with Russia’ bait, not surprising considering your candidate is a neocon and warmonger who has been selected to lead the War Party and increase conflict with Russia.