Trump's tough stance on North Korea, now they want to talk

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Dec 7, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502

But, but, I thought you guys said Trump's firm stance on NK was reckless. What happened? Now they want direct talks? Wow!:cool:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/07/north-korea-ready-direct-talks-us-sergei-lavrov

North Korea is ready to open direct talks with US, says Russia's Sergei Lavrov
    • Pyongyang ‘wants above all to talk to the US about guarantees for its security’
    • Lavrov says he informed Rex Tillerson in Vienna on Thursday

North Korea is open to direct talks with the US over their nuclear standoff, according to the Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, who said he passed that message to his counterpart, Rex Tillerson, when the two diplomats met in Vienna on Thursday.

There was no immediate response from Tillerson but the official position of the state department is that North Korea would have to show itself to be serious about giving up its nuclear arsenal as part of a comprehensive agreement before a dialogue could begin.

Lavrov conveyed the apparent offer on the day a top UN official, Jeffrey Feltman, met the North Korean foreign minister, Ri Yong-ho, in Pyongyang, during the first high-level UN visit to the country for six years. Feltman is an American and a former US diplomat, but the state department stressed he was not in North Korea with any message from Washington.

“We know that North Korea wants above all to talk to the United States about guarantees for its security. We are ready to support that, we are ready to take part in facilitating such negotiations,” Lavrov said at an international conference in Vienna, according to the Interfax news agency. “Our American colleagues, [including] Rex Tillerson, have heard this.”

The diplomatic moves come amid an increased sense of urgency to find a way of defusing the tensions over North Korea’s increasingly ambitious nuclear and missile tests.

2. citizenzen, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

So are you under the impression that the only way to bring them to the table was by threatening them with fire and fury?

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's awesome if true. But it would be highly premature to call anything a success yet. Even at the White House briefing earlier today, Sarah Sanders said there had been no decision if the United States was even attending the South Korean Olympics in a few months. Niki Haley made similar comments yesterday.

So this stuff is all still in play and a state of flux. But I look forward to anything positive this administration can do with North Korea. Let's hope they can.

4. darksithpro, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Anything to advert war is always good.

Also, I just saw this: http://www.newsweek.com/cia-north-korea-trump-three-months-735229?amp=1

"John Bolton, who served under former President George W. Bush, reportedly told officials at the House of Commons that CIA “chiefs” claimed there was a “three-month window” to act before Kim Jong Un’s regime gained the capability to attack U.S. cities.

Though Bolton is not an official within Trump’s administration, the apparent warning suggests North Korea’s threats of war and “fire” could be fully realized as early as March 2018."

A three month window to attack? That's scary.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You know.

If drumpf the Korean version was really going to attack he would have already done it.

6. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Here's a chunk of salt for any true believers out there. If this came from the Russians, I'd need that salt.

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Send over a couple of B1 and B2 stealth bombers to conduct military training exercises and I guess it changes people’s tunes lol.

I wonder if China had any influence on NK. It’s NKs only ally.

From what I gather and read, the US won’t even begin talks until certain elements are met from NK.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

But will Trump want to talk to NK - or insult "rocketman" on twitter causing the meeting to be cancelled. Stay tuned as Trump would tweet...

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That is scary. Perhaps why various members of this administration have been hesitant to say if we were attending the olympics or not. Perhaps we will be in the middle of a war during that time. Maybe no one will be attending. Sad if that happens. But the window is definitely closing.

10. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Unknown.

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Well, I would guess that Russia is still an ally of NK. They've been selling them oil, in violation of the UNSC sanctions. My guess is the China is about fed up with NK and lil Kim. They're just not ready to dump them completely.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Indeed. I think it's good if NK wants to sit down. However, I'm a realist ;) Anything could happen and both sides have hot heads.

13. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

14. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

True about Russia, but I view China as having the most influence on NK. Talks are great, but the U.S. is going to want and expect NK to halt all present and future nuclear testing. That goes without saying.

So really the ball is in NKs court.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    Good read

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

16. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I do not see NK giving up their nuclear program. They won't even put that on the table. They have seen what happens to countries that give up their WMD's at the request of the US. Look at Iraq and Libya. The talks will go nowhere as long as that remains the lone point for the US.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think rocket man has realized Trump’s serious... the guy is only in his 30s.

He wants to live.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But what if he thinks having nukes is the only way to live? I don't think that is the case, but he might see it that way.

19. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Or maybe we could have paid them 4 billion dollars + again? I don't know what would of been a better option. Threats that we can back up? or money that would only go to waste again?

20. 0007776 Suspended

Considering talks haven’t come to much in the past, and Trump is our worst president for making deals in a long time or possibly ever I think if they ever sit down he will find a way to make the talks fail. That said talks even if they accomplish nothing are better than war.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Somehow I imagine there were more than just two options.

But I guess I should be somewhat grateful that trump’s choice hasn’t yet resulted in thermonuclear war.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Trump’s gonna negotiate that 4 Billion down to Seasons tickets to the Clippers and Cavs.

23. 0007776 Suspended

Lol, best case scenario is he accomplishes nothing more than the last few presidents did with their talks. But equally likely is that Kim will give Trump a compliment on his hand size and Trump will give away the plans for all US missiles and nuclear bombs.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not directly. He'll give them by way of the Russians. :D

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Trump might go as high as including seasons to the Knicks and Lakers too