Trump's Travel Ban gets another blow from 9th Circuit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jun 12, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

lefty president can pass indefinite detention w/o trial into law
    righty president can't even pass a travel ban w/o the courts blocking him

you are welcomed, trump 2020

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Can we get Trump in 2024. I just want to say Mad Dog 2020 and mean it.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

TBH not sure trump will run again come 2020. I will take Mad Dog come 2020 but doubt he wants to be there.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Loved this part of cited piece. I guess Sessions not such an ace on the Constitution after all, regardless of his bizarre view that where a judge sits affects his confirmed power to make a ruling. This administration is really one for the books.

The judges largely affirmed a Hawaii judge's decision from March which found the core provisions of the revised executive order -- temporarily blocking all refugees and foreign nationals from six Muslim-majority countries from entering the US -- likely violated the Constitution because its primary purpose was to disfavor Muslims.

Monday's ruling will no doubt be appealed to the Supreme Court, which is already considering a similar case from the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Virginia.

After the ruling from US District Judge Derrick Watson in Hawaii, Attorney General Jeff Sessions criticized the action, saying he was "amazed that a judge sitting on an island in the Pacific can issue an order that stops the President of the United States from what appears to be clearly his statutory and constitutional power."

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

And that is why we need someone like him.

8. 0007776 Suspended

What overreaction? Trump's because he can't get away with doing things that violate the constitution?

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You know Obama passed that because of what all it was attached to, and although signing it, did put a signing statement expressing his grave concerns about it, at some length and in detail. If you argue against the fact he signed it, then argue against the way the Congress put the country in a corner bringing a bill to the White House that combined their (not Obama's) detention wishes and the country's needed appropriations for defense and homeland security.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he wanted it there, bills DON'T have to be signed for them to pass.

like Obama did. again you are welcomed.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can we please agree to disagree and move on please?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For a bill to become law without the President's signature, you need 2/3 majority to vote for it.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

actually all what was needed was to wait 10 days
    https://lowenthal.house.gov/legislation/bill-to-law.htm
    so oclueless did NOT have to sign it in order for it to pass.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

you realize that it going into effect without signature is still going into effect. bottom line it's the congress created that bill and put it on the desk and into our lawbooks.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

EXACTLY why I said that moron (Obama ) wanted it there.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It's day 144 of the Trump administration. As I have noted before, Trump supposedly wanted 90 days for a temporary travel ban in order to 'figure things out' with respect to security and immigration. I guess Trump is slower on the draw than he thought... hardly surprising.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Right because people care about the Constitution? Hello NSA. Hello Obama bombing people.

It's only worth complaining about to you because you don't like Trump. It seems like this was a good source of intel for a credible threat, who cares if Trump extends Obama's already long wait list/ban a little more because Syrian terrorists actually found a possible way to get through airport security with a laptop bomb.

It wasn't a ban, anyway. But again, doesn't fit your narrative so that doesn't matter.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

leave it to you to bring in oboma never change. Oboma did not just whip out a pen and try to force it thats the difference. Oboma did not campaign on banning Muslims and carding them and following them and monitoring them. See a little difference there.

19. 0007776 Suspended

I found the overreaction. Thanks for showing me.

20. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Where was it? Was it something you posted about Trump in this thread? Maybe another?

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

File a lawsuit and challenge it then. Complaining about it every single day on Macrumors won't fix it.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I take every other day off, and since I am pointing out the difference between dems & repubs it happens to be in context.
    you also need a "victim" IIRC for the lawsuit to move forward, given that our SCOTUS is almost worthless as they let the Patriot act stand then Obama got away with it.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Look, I'm with you that the indefinite detention without trial situation under Bush and then codified under Obama was terrible. The worst part about it is was essentially blessed by both Republicans and Democrats - what a great thing to have bipartisan agreement on, huh?

However, what have you actually done about it? Do something about it. Donate to a non-profit that provides legal aid to those detained indefinitely. Donate to the ACLU, which regularly challenges such detentions. Call you senators and representatives and complain. Bringing it up your grievance with Obama in every single travel ban thread is useless.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You win the day! That crap was our goto in high school

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you get 1/2 like :mad:
    it makes me feel good to throw back the rock into the glass castle, so it's not "useless" :p