Trump's Wall? So many questions...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Dec 11, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

So many questions. Has it been built? Is it effective at stopping people from crossing the border, or not? If it's been effective, why the need for more money? The caravan was going to flood our borders but now it's not a threat because of the wall?

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.59.11 AM.png

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Question for Trump supporters: Do you just pretend that he never promised (100+ times) that Mexico was going to pay for this thing?

3. mac_in_tosh, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I think at one point he said Mexico would indirectly pay for it through renegotiation of trade agreements that will reduce Mexico's trade surplus with the U.S. Of course, that's not what he said during his campaign rallies. And let's remember the phone call in which Trump practically begged the Mexican president to stop saying he won't pay for the wall.

But at another level, the whole wall idea was something Bannon came up with and which Trump originally resisted. He used it at a rally and got a good response, so he kept going with it. I doubt he has any real conviction about it and probably knows it's a ridiculous waste of money but at this point his credibility, whatever's left of it, is at stake.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Reading comprehension problem much?

Trump clearly says sections of the wall have been built, and those sections are effective, as well as his actions to beef up manpower at the southern boarder.

However, he goes on to say, that's it's cheaper and more effective to continue to build the boarder wall, than it is to increase manpower.

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It also makes zero sense from an accounting standpoint.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

Wait, are trumpsters really satisfied with Trumpolini just lying that there's a wall now, despite one not having been built, just so they can go 'i told you so, Trump rulez'? o_O

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

First. Sarcasm. Second, Trump is all over the map with these tweets. Let's not pretend he's not.

8. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Trump does rule, insomuch as a Presdent can rule anyway.:D

I have not been to the Southern boarder lately, since Trump has been in office, so I don't know for a fact that he has done anything. However, he clearly says sections of his "boarder wall" have been built and are effective.

I think, because Trump often speaks in generic terms, that puts an image into our minds of a "Great Wall of the Americas". When in reality it's not really so much of a stone and mortar wall as it is fence and electronic countermeasures mixed with manpower.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Trump never "clearly" says anything, as you just pointed out. And usually what he does say is a lie.

Perhaps they've done some routine maintenance on parts of the fence. Do they ever not? I don't know.

10. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

If some people can't read, or are too intellectually lazy to comprehend what is said, that just can't be helped.

I think, in your case, you're just being intellectually dishonest, because it suits you politics.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Simply untrue. The man contradicts himself at every point, lies constantly and constantly changes what he said. You even just said so yourself...

Mitt Romney switched positions a lot... his fault was being a "flip-flopper", but I wouldn't say he lied a lot, or that he was difficult to understand. Apparently, taken at his word, he simply changed stances on key issues.

Compare that with Trump, who simply lies and can't keep a straight story.

So when he says anything about what's being done on the border wall, I believe it about as much as I believe him when he says millions of illegal votes are cast by immigrants.

There's nothing "intellectually dishonest" about calling out simple, easy to understand lies and falsehoods.

12. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Want to save $5bn?(or whatever it costs to build a physical wall)

Pass a law which permanently blocks people who cross the border illegally from ever attaining any legal permanent status.

There’s your wall.

Surely the left doesnt want to reward people who break the law, right? /s

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

That wasn't the point, you're just moving the goal post, I made a statement of fact about what he clearly said, not how truthful it is.

In oder for you or I to know for a fact, we would need to see for ourselves.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I agree. I'm not trying to move goalposts, I'm simply saying what he says is NOT always clear, and if it is, its usually a lie. Which, I guess a "clear lie" might be acceptable for some, but certainly not for me.

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The man is known to take liberties with the truth, to put it kindly, as all Presidents and politicians are.

However, he seems to do it a lot more often than what you or I may deem becoming government office at any level.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt that law would make any difference. For a start it could be reversed.

17. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Does it come as a surprise to you that a politician broke a promise(s)?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

heard that if I liked my DR I could keep it, also heard it was "affordable" , hear GITMO was going to be closed and about "Transparency".

that said wall is a stupid waste of money.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Most come here in need of gainful employment.

Start jailing people who hire them, problem solved. Tho, I wouldn't support that until the left and right get their heads out of their asses and work together to fix our hopelessly broken immigration laws.

I mean, people wouldn't be hiring them if they were not needed, the free market has spoken, less is not more, more is more. We should be welcoming people that want to come to America and help us grow.

20. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

The laws arent broken. No reform is needed. They’re just not enforced specifically because of the left.

I am in favor of penalties for people who are accessories in breaking of immigration law.

Just because a fringe wants to welcome illegal immigrants, does not mean that the country as a whole wants to. Hence laws.

21. DearthnVader, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

There is already a law that prohibits people that enter this country illegally from applying for or receiving US citizenship.

Doesn't stop them from coming here because they can find work, and get paid.

The fact that they can find work, means they are needed here. You can't escape the laws of economics no matter how much bigotry people try and pile on.

We need the people, lots are already here, and lots more would like to come. When people have gainful employment that helps everyone because the economy grows, " The raising tide lifts all boats".

Our immigration laws are not allowing for the proper number of people to come here to fill the need for workers, thus people ignore those laws, because they are broken.

They are hopelessly broken because Congress refuses to work together to fix them.

22. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

23. kobalap macrumors 6502

Anyone who watched the footage of the caravan mob saw exactly why Trump and his followers keep pushing for a wall. And to spell out, that means:
    • Build a wall in areas that don't currently have a wall
    • Maintain and repair existing walls need it
    • Reinforce walls that are otherwise inadequate
    I am not sure that a wall is the most effective way to prevent these mobs from crossing illegally into the United States but I understand why so many clamor for it.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

1) Don't care. Want the wall and I don't care if my tax dollars pay for it.

2) Yet to be determined. Do I think Mexico is going to write a check, no I don't. But they may end up paying in other ways.

25. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

Hire them to build the Wall™.:D:D:D