Truth is. I really don't think Steve jobs would have allowed a late launch.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EnderTW, Jul 3, 2012.

1. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Steve demanded perfection and the impossible. It's sad but I don't think Steve jobs would have let apple be put in the position to wait until September heck even October. What happened to the 1 year cycle?

2. Cripps macrumors regular

3. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Which release are you talking about? The iPhone 5? If so, and it is released in September/October, then it is right on schedule.

4. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone 1-4 was June or July launch. 4s lagged probably due to tsunami and hurricanes.

5. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

He might mean "late lunch"?

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Yeah, those damn natural disasters delaying my advanced piece of technology. I don't care if the storms and earth quakes kill people and devastate entire cities and populations, I want my shiny iDevice NOW dangit!

Steven Paul Jobs is not or was not a god/supreme being/deity/soothsayer. He could not have predicted, prevented, or redirected the natural disasters that happened to disrupt travel and product shipments for practically every company that deals with international suppliers and manufacturers.

The iPhone now has a new 1 year cycle. And it is possible it could change again.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm not a fan of the Q4 launch but it is what it is.

It probably works in Apple's favor not to have IPads, iPhones, iPods, desktops and laptops all stacked in the first 6 months of the year.

8. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Apple can't release it earlier than September because of Qualcomm MDM9615 modem chip for a world mode LTE phone. They(Qualcomm) just started mass production this month.

9. monkeylui macrumors 6502

It's late enought that I bought the Galaxy S3, moved from the iPhone 4S. I loved the iPhone but. Wanted a bigger screen. I wasn't waiting around any longer.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's not what a huge contingent of his worshippers believe. It's how he created such a cult like following. A cadre of Apple supporters that will go to great lengths to prove that he knows what's best for them. A fact that reveals itself over and over in this forum.

Perhaps you were thinking of someone else. :)

11. barryl85 macrumors regular

That's exactly what I did - my iPhone 4 24 month contract was expired, I definitely do not regret getting the Galaxy S3 its amazing but I have a feeling that I might have gave Apple my business should they have released on schedule.

12. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

By the down votes on my comment and up votes on the OP, I guess you are right. :rolleyes:

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

With the June/July launches, they didn't have enough manufacturing lead time to launch with enough product.

The iPhone 4s (with its Sept/Oct launch) launched with enough product on-hand for Apple to add several additional countries to the initial launch, several additional countries to the second launch, and allowed the second launch to occur two weeks after the initial launch (vs the usual month).

There were also no major stock outs the first weekend of the launch.

If you search back on MacRumors, Apple (while still firmly under Steve Jobs) sent a 10th anniversary poster to Apple Retail stores talking about lessons they've learned, and having enough product on-hand for a launch was one of the things mentioned.

IMO, that suggests that Steve may have no problem with Sept/Oct launches.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its not late.

Steve Jobs was around in June-Sept/Oct and they still didn't launch the 4S until Oct regardless which means the Oct launch cycle is likely deliberate...probably to accommodate the prior Jan launch of the iPhone 4 on Verizon or due to component sourcing.

Consumers are too spoilt nowadays. You can't hang on for 3 months.

Come on.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Truth is, Steve Jobs is dead, and he specifically told his successors to not ask "What Would Steve Do?" While what he did was amazing, we outside of Apple should probably stop asking/thinking "WWSD?" as well.

September/October is the new release cycle for the iPhone. It's not late, that's just what it is. That's all there is to it now.

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Am I the only one who reads these threads and laughs AT the threadstarter? Any thread that has the phrase "Steve Jobs would have..." or "Steve Jobs wouldn't have..." or "Steve wanted..." or anything like that just make me laugh at people. Unless you have a handwritten piece of paper with his signature saying what he would have /wouldn't have /wanted to have done, you don't know.

I just laugh cause these threads are SO serious like they're the truth and are written like the person was the mans personal assistant. It's hilarious.

17. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I do think they're a tad over the top. But I guess it's a testament to Jobs' effect on the world...

18. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

IMO it was moved becuase the Verizon iphone was only launched earlier that year.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Leopard's release was delayed so, yes, Steve Jobs did allow late launches.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

New Product Cycle

+1 internets for you friend.

As for the OP, what qualifies a new product release cycle for Sept./Oct. as a late launch, especially since it's the first week of July?

I think it's pretty easy to see Apple's clear division of WWDC as the Mac/OS announcement platform and the fall's back-to-school/holiday announcement as the mobile announcement platform from for the foreseeable future.

-will

----------

Also, aside from the fact that the premise of "Steve would(not) have done xyz" is idiotic and a waste of time....I think anyone can see that he was much more concerned with producing and selling a quality produce and user experience above ALL ELSE. Including consumers' and competitors' perceived timelines.

21. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Lol I literally just watched that episode yesterday.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Have you been living in a cave or something? The iPhone 4S ruined the 1 year cycle.

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Fly the white flag of war!

24. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

It's time to battle the forces of good and neutral!