Truth is stranger than fiction

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Oct 28, 2013.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I grew up hearing that on the show Hee Haw, they would make fun of themselves as backwater country folks and had a segment called Truth is Stranger Than Fiction. The story below would have been on this weeks episode!

“I spent two years defending Obamacare. I had constituents scream at me, spit at me and call me names that I can’t put in print. The congressman was not re-elected in 2010 mainly because of the anti-Obamacare anger. When the congressman was not re-elected, I also (along with the rest of our staff) lost my job. I was upset that because of the health care issue, I didn’t have a job anymore but still defended Obamacare because it would make health care available to everyone at, what I assumed, would be an affordable price. I have now learned that I was wrong. Very wrong.”

http://www.suntimes.com/news/marin/23352031-452/obamacare-jacks-up-her-insurance.html

She need rdowns to help see where she is wrong, because it makes it cheaper and better.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Looks like the Republicans should have just let the Democrats implement a universal system after all. This is what happens when you use the Republican model of the individual mandate to give more business to private insurance companies.

You're surprised that a private corporation is trying to game the system so they can charge higher rates and make more money? It's just capitalism, right? This is why healthcare as a for-profit industry should be abolished completely.

Nobody ever said it was going to bring every single person's costs down. It's going to bring costs as a whole down.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

I just got the notice last night from my union group healthcare provider that our premiums will be going up $600 per quarter in a few months. That's a $200 per month increase. That means that the new cost amounts to approximately $1225 per month, or nearing $15,000 per year.

The ACA plans I was offered topped out at about $740/month for the highest premium plan available, about $6,000 per year less.

So, that is nearly $500 per month cheaper for the highest premium plan through the marketplace. Granted, I don't think it includes dental or vision, and the premium has a $1000 deductible that I don't have with my current plan. But still, it seems to be much cheaper.

The easiest way to say it is : America screwed up royally on healthcare from the beginning. It's simply the most effed up system on the planet, and anyone who supports what we've had the past few decades is a moron.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Exactly. A republican/democrat compromise was essentially the worst-case scenario in this instance, and that's exactly what we got. When it comes to universal healthcare, you need to go all the way, or not at all. (Obviously I'm generalizing, but you get the picture...)

I have family members who received the same letter; it's not an uncommon problem. For many, 'ObamaCare' is a step in the wrong direction, and I say this as a general proponent of universal healthcare.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    As soon as I saw the words "Blue Cross", I closed the page.

"Sorry we had to hike your rates up by 35%. I know the ACA was supposed to protect against this very thing by forcing us all to compete in the open market for your benefit. But...you know...Obamacare, right"?

This isn't to say that Obamacare is the panacea to all our healthcare ills. But when you have multibillion dollar corporations trying everything they can to game the system in their favor, of course it's not gonna work as well as it should.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the more liberal members of congress went along with the ACA even though it was based on a Republican plan because they thought it would fail and end up having to be replaced by a single payer system.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

Exactly. I had Blue Cross as my individual healthcare provider for years. At the very first mention of Obamacare many years ago, before any of it ever took effect, they jacked up the rates and said it was because of costs related to Obamacare. Uh-huh. I immediately went on the search and got different insurance through a group plan offered by my union which was much cheaper and offered better benefits with no deductible. And now, they are jacking it up by 20%, they say because of "increased utilization".

For-profit healthcare is the worst.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Same provider, as soon as it passed blah blah we're raising your rates so as to comply with ACA. We had to raise them last year too, but this year we have a PR diversion:rolleyes:.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have seen the best and the worst of both the US and the UK health care system. I prefer the UK's approach of using taxes based on income. It has its issues, like all large organizations, but in many areas it matches the performance of the US health system for much less money. Obamacare is better that the free-for-all that preceded it, but nationalized health care would be better.

With reference to the story posted by the OP, I wonder why everybody is blaming Obama for the high prices, when in fact it is the outcome of the private sector's rush for profiteering from health care.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Democrats force Obamacare through and feed the American people to greedy corporations and then blame greedy corporations for being greedy. :confused:

I imagine that Obama may be wanting to distance himself from the "Obamacare" term in the near future.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

At least they have to spend 80% of premiums on care, as well as actually provide something for your premium (service "floor"). Not to mention kids on parents' insurance until age 26, no lifetime maxes, they cant drop you for getting sick, can't deny coverage or charge more for per-existing conditions, etc.

Better than what we had!

Of course, single-payer would have solved all these problems...

And what do you mean "force through"? You mean passing legislation without 60 votes, the way it's always been meant to be, before filibuster threats on *everything* became the norm?