Try on, sport watches are prone to scratches!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tomhwcheung, Apr 11, 2015.

1. tomhwcheung macrumors newbie

Try on, sport watches are prone to scratches!!
    what do you think?

[​IMG]

2. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Are you sure it's a scratch and not just some gunk that would wipe off with a damp cloth?

3. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

I'm more surprised that anyone would be surprised to see scratches on store model.

Having said that-I ordered SS hoping to minimalise this but fully expecting it to scratch whilst living on my wrist. Adds character ;)

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Yes, because people are often wearing 2 watches at a time for comparison and they rub each other. Just look at the many pics on this forum of multiple watches touching each other.

5. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

These watches are seeing major use/abuse as they are shuffled around and tried on. Shocking there is a tiny scratch...

6. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

scratchGate. this is less than 30 hours into the demo period.

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I would say you would be right, except these have been on display all of one and half days, and judging by the news reports, not heavily used at this point. If it were 2 months from now, sure.

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

...and we have one picture of one :apple:Watch as a statistical sample base. :eek: Lets not read too much into it.;)

9. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

you don't know where it's been, or what kind of gorilla had it one.

Which reminds me.

is this sanitary? I think not.

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

That just doesn't look like a scratch at all! Scratches usually occur more or less on a straight line.

11. spytech macrumors regular

SS on The Verge's review was already scratched, so...

I don't know how phones are treated on Apple Stores, as I don't have one in my country, but if you come here and see iPhone's on operator's or other stores you'd see they're the most scratched thing you'll ever see. Pretty normal, as they're exhibition phones, and these stores don't replace them even if they're totaled...

12. iregret macrumors 6502a

I plan to use mine, so if it gets scratched, so be it. I'll get over it. That being said, I did order AppleCare.

13. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

I can't completely say that's 'not a scratch' but I can say that I saw something similar on a sport I tried on and I wiped away at it with my finger. Almost came off like the stuff on the back of a gift card. I saw the same thing on a SS I tried on. Both wiped off

14. sam2428 macrumors 6502

That doesn't look like a scratch. It looks like some sticky residue. The demo watches I saw during my try on also had it...at first I thought they were scratches too, but in closer inspection it was just residue.

15. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

A physical object can get scratched. Zzzzzzzzzz

16. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I already figured my space gray would look like crap after one year, so not to worried, maybe I can then have it gold plated:p

For me next year I will get Gen 2 in Stainless Steel, it scratches for sure but doesn't make it look as bad as the Space Gray will.

or maybe I will get Gold when I hit the lottery:D

17. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

If it's a scratch then the anodization is deep, otherwise it would be showing raw aluminum.

18. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Umm, that sounds worse than a scratch:D

After thousands of fittings, better bring the alcohol wipes:p lol

19. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Haha, I dont think it was residue from people trying it on (although it could have been...most of the stores are in malls). I would guess there was probably had some type of protective wrapping on in in store demo units? Could be wrong though....

20. docprego macrumors 65816

It's right behind the digital crown which undoubtedly was rotated by hundreds of fingers before that photo was taken. What's on all fingers? Finger oils, simple as that.

21. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

That location on the device isn't prone to scratches. The crown would have been impacted before that area and would have protected it from being scratched. Either a slight manufacturing defect or gunk.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I bought a very thin case for mine, honestly. I'm not worried about breaking my watch, but I'd rather it not be scratched.

23. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Link to case?

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

25. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Spigen has the clear case that will be available as early as launch day April 24 on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=beyondthete0c-20&linkId=OFVS4CLY7HDOGA45

They also have a rugged version:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=beyondthete0c-20&linkId=N5AIHJ274QED24YQ

And a heavy-duty rugged version:
    http://www.amazon.com/Spigen®-Prote...d=1428808886&sr=8-8&keywords=apple+watch+case

Luvvitt also has a similar clear case that comes with a tempered glass screen protector:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=beyondthete0c-20&linkId=5YOS6FF2UQH7RX46