Trying my hand at this smoothing skin business. How'd I do?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Razeus, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Razeus, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Razeus macrumors 603

Never really learned Photoshop, but now diving in with all sort of techniques. Trying out this skin smoothing business and some other techniques in PS. How'd I do?

[​IMG]
    201104301905 by Photobyharris, on Flickr

Original:
    [​IMG]

2. Clark Kent macrumors member

I think it looks pretty good. I'm no expert in skin smoothing, but it looks natural and if you had just posted the modified picture, I wouldn't have realized you did anything to her skin.

I'm sure it helps that it seems like she had pretty good skin anyway and the picture is well taken.

3. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

4. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

I wish it was that easy. I used the heal tool for the blemishes on her skin. The patch tool to get rid of the bags and wrinkles in her eyes. I used a surface blur to smooth the skin. Sharpened her eyes with the sharpen tool. Then finally, high pass filter to sharpen. 4-5 layers were involved.

5. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

think you did a fine job, and I'm sure she would appreciate the adjustments, very flattering

6. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Yes, she likes it. And her Facebook friends seem to like it alot too.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For some reason I could not read and thought the top was the original. I would have said it was not a succes. :eek: You did great. I think I would have played with her upper lip as well. If you went as far as to remove the appearance of "bags" under her eyes, I would play with the darkness on the upper lip for kicks.

Nicely done. You used a wacom I hope. My hand would cramp if I did that with a mouse.

8. bluap84 macrumors 6502

its a good attempt, i see loads of retouching photos and theyre just too retouched, too smooth, just horrible. So you done well. Would of like to of seen the colour instead of B&W

If you need any retouching help give me a shout, im not too bad. Try and get a work flow going too that helps alot

i find, any new tool you use its best to create a new layer. Also start using folders too. i normally have a skin / eyes / teeth / hair / folder just keeps all the layers organised.

theres a good lynda.com training package on photoshop retouching, i learnt most of my tricks from there.