Trying to build a home network but need to hardwire devices in two separate locations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mikeyswen79, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Mikeyswen79, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

Mikeyswen79 macrumors member

Mikeyswen79

Hi,

So I have a modem/wireless router (all-in-one Motorola hybrid) in my entertainment center downstairs, which is obviously connected to a co-axial outlet with ethernet hardwires to some video game systems and an Apple TV. However, my wife does calls for her work from our home office upstairs and the phone she uses requires a hard ethernet connection to work. At the moment Im using the temporary solution of running a fifty foot ethernet cable through my house which is obviously less than ideal. Other solutions?

I should mention that I plan on getting a Time-Capsule shortly and would want to use that as my wireless router (I can turn off router function on my modem hybrid).

Help?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

you might :

- use powerline devices (under certain conditions, though)

- if your home office can "see" your wifi network, use a wireless "client", such as an Airport Express in your home office, connect the phone to it via Ethernet (won't work with an old Express with only one Ethernet port which is disabled in client mode).

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Get a refurb Airport Express.

Use it as a wireless to Ethernet bridge.

----------

It works, I use one at home for my study PC. http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...express-base-station-with-80211n-and-airtunes out of stock.

I'd just get the newer one. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC414LL/A/airport-express-base-station-june-2012

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ At the moment Im using the temporary solution of running a fifty foot ethernet cable through my house which is obviously less than ideal. ]]

Would it be much of a job to route the ethernet through the walls?

If too much trouble, and if it "has to be wired", I'd keep on doing what you're doing now.

After all, if it works, it works...

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I think it depends on which model / firmware version : I do have old Expresses that get the Ethernet port disabled in client mode.

I use them for Airplay, therefore I don't care.

"While in client mode, AirPort Express with 802.11n will be able to use the Ethernet port to pass Wi-Fi traffic to a device connected to the Ethernet port. However, the original AirPort Express 802.11g doesn't support this feature and will disable the Ethernet port."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Sounds like her phone uses VoIP - sensitive to both bandwidth and latency. In order of preference:

1) Ethernet the place
    2) install a coax upstairs
    3) powerline (required both floors share a circuit)
    4) wireless bridge (make both 802.11ac)

#2 works because your av setup isn't particularly sensitive. For #4, just make sure the Moto has Ethernet out.

7. Mikeyswen79 thread starter macrumors member

Mikeyswen79

Haha, that is definitely something I would do if I could, but I'm in a rented apartment at the moment.

Just to clarify, this is the same AirPort express that they sell new now? Too bad they didn't do wi-fi AC with the new one.

Duly noted for my future home. Actually our office does have a coaxial cable (sorry I should've mentioned that), but I can't make any modifications to it in my current place.

8. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

If you have coax in the office upstairs and coax near your hard-wired ethernet at the entertainment center, I believe you could achieve ethernet-over-coax by using two devices as described in this article:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/25/netgear-moca-coax-ethernet-adapter-review/

This shouldn't disturb your current use of the coax (it does not replace any existing coax connections). Basically it "converts" an ethernet cable downstairs to a coax cable (in your walls), then upstairs "converts" the coax connection back to ethernet to plug into the phone.

I haven't set up or used such a system. Perhaps others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe such devices are pretty easily available.