Trying to Burn iMovie 08 to Plain Old DVD - NOT iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JolieCat, Sep 24, 2011.

1. JolieCat, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

JolieCat macrumors newbie

Okay. I've been searching this topic for hours. Everything I find on burning a project from iMovie 08 to DVD always takes me through iDVD. The problem with that is that it forces you to redo your project.

I just want to copy my finished iMovie 08 project to a DVD that can be played on a computer that is going to be hooked up to a projector at my class reunion two weeks from today (October 8). I

Is there any way to do this? I do not want to have to redo my project in iDVD.

I'm just trying to burn it, plain and simple, to a DVD to play on a computer -- any computer, not just a Mac.

I didn't think it would be this difficult, and I'm running out of time. I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you very much.

Jo
    p.s. If you think I should start over using a program other than iMovie 08 to make a 15 minute video that can be easily transferred to DVD, please suggest one. Thanks!

2. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

3. JolieCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks jsm. I'll give it another try.

Jo

4. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

It doesn't force you to "redo" your project, just set up menu options.

If you don't need any of that, from within iMovie, just export the finished movie.

Click share----> export movie and select large.

I prefer to export using quick time. You can customize it more and select HD options that you'll want if using a projector.

You'll just have to make sure your selection doesn't make a file to large for 1 DVD (not sure how big your project is) where iDVD sort of helps your with that.

The end result is just a quick time movie that can be played from any laptop.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Failing that, you can probably export from iMovie08 to Quicktime, and that will play on another computer.