Trying to connect a MBP 13" to a Toshiba LCD TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theOtherTrev, Nov 20, 2010.

1. theOtherTrev macrumors newbie

I know this probably gets asked a lot and I appologize for the redundancy of questioning, and I did do some research on the process of what I am trying to do (both here and other sources).

I have a moshi Mini DP to HDMI adapter, HDMI cable (Monster Digital Audio and Video) and a Toshiba 26SL400U LED TV. According to what I have read about my MBP it supports audio out through the MiniDP (under the System Profiler Audio(built in) it shows HDMI / Display Port Output) Following the instructions for the Moshi adapter (sold at the Apple Store) I hook everything up MBP>Adapter>HDMI Cable>TV. Turn the TV on and I should be able to select the HDMI option for audio in System preferences and I should be able to select the display as well.

info on my MBP

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f6

Purchased June 2010

I am relatively new to Apple products but not to computers in general. I am probably missing a simple step or perhaps the adapter is faulty. Has anyone had success with this particular adapter or does anyone see something glaringly obvious that is escaping my sometimes Neanderthaloid brain.

Thanks in advance...

Trev

2. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Also asking this question

I have the same questions, with a 37" Panasonic HD tv, a 13" MacBook (2008), and need of a 15' space to cover (probably a 25' HDMI cable). Piggy backing on the answers to your query.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

once you switch the source to HDMI on your TV, it should automatically detect

4. theOtherTrev thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried both HDMI inputs on the TV and switched the inputs both times and still nothing. The screen on the MBP flashes blue for maybe a half second and then it acts like a regular MBP... which makes me believe I am missing something

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

you shouldn't be doing anything wrong, mine's connected the same way and then screen does flash blue for me also

this guy looks like he has it working the way you described it

6. theOtherTrev thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply sounds like the adapter may be faulty, I think I will return it and try another one.

7. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

First make sure Mini DP is fully inserted into your MBP. For sound. When you have everything hooked up and turned on does the TV show up in your sound preferences/output? Mine shows Sony TV. I have to select it to get audio. For video, toggle mirror screen settings and resolutions. If nothing, sound and video, is showing up then it does sound like a faulty adaptor. I've got the Best Buy brand for $20. Works like a charm.

8. theOtherTrev thread starter macrumors newbie

Fully inserted for sure. There is nothing that shows up in displays or audio.... faulty adapter

Thanks

9. theOtherTrev thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update if anyone is interested. I went to the apple store yesterday had all my goods with me save the TV and they all work. They had a Sharp LCD there and we hooked everything up and it worked fine, even though the Apple fellow said that I wasn't able to do exactly what we did with a 13" MBP... go figure. The Apple guy said that it could just be quirky connectors and I just have to fiddle with them, I don't buy that for a second.

Is it possible that there needs to be some sort of software update to work with LED TVs?

10. ihonda macrumors 68000

there was a update for the mDP like 2 weeks ago, have you checked software updates? mDP > hdmi works for me on all my tvs, i use a cheap $6.00 plug from ebay.

11. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Works fine for me too. But... why in the world would you buy a hugely over priced monster hdmi cable???

12. theOtherTrev thread starter macrumors newbie

Well software is up to date, guess it falls into the fine print of "this TV may not be compatible with all computers". Monster Cable was borrowed from a friend, I was thinking that my cheap cables may be at fault....