Trying to decide...Sell my 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trlyka, Sep 13, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I have the iPhone 4 and will be ordering the iPhone 5 for myself. My Mom has my old 3GS, so of course she would get my 4.

OR

I can sell my 4 and get 2 of the iPhone 5. But how much can I expect to get for it? I got my 4 as a replacement in May, so it is fairly new. I take very good care of it. Not a scratch. Should I take it to AT&T or sell it somewhere else? I have no idea how much they would give me for it. I really didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it online, but what is the difference in how much I can get selling it privately vs. through AT&T? I have never sold a cell phone, so I appreciate any info.

The only reason I would get my Mom the new iPhone, is for the screen size. She is older and I figure she may have an easier time seeing things. However, I don't think things are necessarily bigger, but it's just more real estate for more things to fit on the screen. Is that accurate?

Thanks

2. imeth macrumors regular

dumb question, of course sell it.... iphone 5 is the present.. you are stuck on 2 year old technology.. I bet it's slow

3. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok, I wanted to, but how much will I get for it?

For myself, I want at least the 32G and I would probably get 16G for my Mom. That's over $500 plus extra charging adapters and USB cords and covers and cases...etc... I would spend the money on mine either way. I would just want to know if I can get $200+ for my phone to cover the cost of getting the 2nd phone. She doesn't download music or use a lot of apps., so I don't think she needs more then 16G.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If you don't want hassle you can get an Amazon gift card for ~$220 now by trading it in there. You will get more with eBay or Craigslist but be sure to get it unlocked first.

5. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I love Amazon, but......How much more? And how do I get it unlocked?

6. fridayxiii macrumors member

Another low-hassle way to go would be a service like Gazelle. I have a 4S and checked the site yesterday, and they'll pay $260 for my phone in good condition. With Gazelle you can get a price lock for 30 days, meaning you can get your quote now and send your phone to them when you get the 5. Of course you won't get the $$$ til after you send your phone, and I realize you have a 4, not a 4S, but it's still an option to consider.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Right now Im seeing the 4 go for around 330 (before eBay fees). It might be different in a week though.

Call AT&T or fill out their web form to get it unlocked.

8. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok thanks. I think I saw that site when I was doing a quick (how much can I get for my iPhone 4) search.

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I would give ebay a try. It is really easy to list something on ebay. Get it unlocked, take a few pictures and if you download the ebay mobile app you can list it right from you phone in 5 minites. I would start the auction at about $300 and maybe put a buy it now at $350 just in case someone really wants it. Give it a try there is nothing to lose because ebay lets you 50 auctions a month to list for free so you only pay if it sells. I started putting some stuff that has been laying around the house on ebay last month and it gets kind of addiciting. I made enough last month to buy a 2011 13.3 macbook pro just selling the stuff I don't use anymore.

10. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I have the money so I don't mind waiting. I'm just not familiar with selling on eBay.

Do I have to have my phone deactivated in order to have it unlocked? I have never done that before.

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Personally, I always keep 1 previous gen model in the event something happens to my new one.

*knock on wood*

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No.

13. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I used to do that too but you lose to much money on the resale that way. Now I sell my previous years model about a month before the next one come out to get maximum resale. Got $550 for my 32GB 4S last month. If something happens to my 5 I can always buy a used 4S and by then it will be alot less then $550 I got for my 4S. Financially I think thats a better way to go IMO.

14. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Don't tell me that! lol....I can see me now sitting online selling things and never leaving the house :eek: I appreciate the info :eek: