Trying to exchange iPhone 6S Plus because of crazy lag, need advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheekyhapachick, Oct 2, 2015.

1. cheekyhapachick macrumors newbie

cheekyhapachick

Hey everyone, I am having some serious issues with my iPhone 6s Plus and could really use some advice and insights from the experienced members of this forum.

So, I preordered my phone and, just like everyone else, was super excited. I got the phone on launch day and immediately started having issues. I started documenting the issues with my old iPhone (taking videos and pictures). Mainly the phone was lagging and freezing after unlocking, freezing on the lock screen, having weird black bars appear across half the screen, etc.

The first thing I did when I got the phone was download and install the update. When the issues didn't resolve themselves I contacted Apple Care and they walked me through all the trouble shooting, restoring the iPhone through iTunes, backing up from iCloud etc. and nothing worked. I really didn't want to return the phone so I hoped that it would go away on its own and of course it didn't. I contacted Apple Care again and they tried to help me out again to no avail. I finally decided to walk in to the Apple Store and they were so nice and apologetic and said they would gladly exchange it but the issue is that they don't have any of my model (128gb rose gold iPhone 6s Plus).

They told me my options were to go online every morning at 8am and try to reserve one when their daily inventory is updated or to get a phone through the genius bar which would not be returnable. The issue is that I got the phone through the ATT Next program and the guys at the store told me they can't exchange the phone beyond 13 days from the date I received the phone because of something with ATT. I of course opted to try and reserve a phone, so everyday for the passed for 4 days I have been trying at 8am like a crazy person to reserve a phone. Most of the stores aren't getting any and the ones that do are sold out by the time I enter in my info and try to reserve.

As I have grown tired of this 8am nonsense, I called Apple Care again this morning and asked if anything could be done. I told them that I understand their system, but it just seems awfully unfair that I purchased a new phone and can't get a proper exchange for a new phone. The Apple Care person totally understood and tried to figure out if there was anything on her end that she could do, but found that she would only be able to do it under warranty and that she couldn't guarantee that the phone would be new :(.

She asked me if I had asked the store manager if there was anyway he could reserve the phone for me as this situation was pretty lame. I said I hadn't asked because I didn't believe it was possible but she said that they should have the power to do that or at least put through some kind of special order.

So my question is, should I take the time to go to the Apple Store again and see if a manager can in fact do what the Apple Care representative suggested? or was she just mistaken? Do any of you have any advice at all on the best way I can get my phone exchanged? Would it be best to just return it to the store and go through ATT, Best Buy, etc? Again, any insights at all would be much appreciated, so thank you in advance!

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I had a home button issue with my first 6S+. I tried the store but they had no stock, so I rang Apple Care. They offered to post me a new phone but to put a hold on my card. I asked if I could reserve one in store instead without all this logging onto the website at 6am stuff...
    The Apple Care rep put me on hold and rang my local store. She then came back to me and said that a phone had been reserved for me & that I could go and collect it immediately! Very strange, but a great result.

3. cheekyhapachick thread starter macrumors newbie

cheekyhapachick

What?! Really? She didn't even offer to send me one through the mail with a hold on my card, I would have gladly done that! Was this closer to launch day? Should I just keep trying Apple Care until I get to someone who is actually willing to help? I am glad your issue got sorted :)

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Is your issue that you don't want a refurb? Or is it that they don't have return units? It's a little unclear to me.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

This was yesterday mate. My local Apple store have no stock, and the Apple online store is quoting delivery times of approx 3 weeks.
    I presume that the store holds back some stock (which isn't for general sale) just in case buyers experience a fault with their device?

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My replacement was a new sealed retail box.
    I don't know if you saw my post elsewhere but my home button just suddenly stopped working. A reboot didn't help, it was totally dead. I really didn't want to exchange that device because it was running like a champ but a dodgy home button is a bit of a dealbreaker.:D

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The phone would need to be in stock at the time of reservation, so this isn't much different than calling in the morning. Apple, especially around launch, gets mid day shipments of these phones rather frequently, so it's not outside he realm of possibility they "randomly" get stock in.

When the iPad mini launched I was getting one for my wife but they weren't in stock. I decided to browse a bit and ultimately decided in upgrading her phone. While I was doing that I heard the mini was back In and I quickly opted to cancel the transaction and pick up the mini. Something similar happened with a gold 5s; I showed up around 11am and just asked about it. They just had a shipment of 32gb gold Verizon 5s.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I was more asking for the OP in this particular case. It's unclear to me whether they insist on a brand new device or if a refurb will suffice. I've never been against returns from Apple, personally.

This is thefirstbuear I've heard of difficulty getting faulty phones exchanged at launch. I wonder if that's how they managed to fulfill so many orders so smoothly. Perhaps they simply shipped few white box phones to stores in an effort to fulfill more orders in less time. Makes sense. In theory you should have a very small segment of the population wanting to exchange a device so early anyway.

9. cheekyhapachick thread starter macrumors newbie

cheekyhapachick

I was initially considering a refurb but the store told me I would have to wait until Tuesday or so for an appointment at the genius bar (this was on Tuesday the 29th) or that I could wait a few hours to see if a spot opened up. At the time I couldn't wait a few hours and thought that I could just try the online reserving thing. Honestly, now after having thought about it more I don't want a refurb, I paid for a new phone and feel like an exchange for a less than two week old phone is reasonable.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If you bought from the Apple store then you can get a full refund within 14 days. You don't have to take a refurb if you don't want to. Some people swear they're spot-on but certainly within the returns period I would be wanting a brand new replacement.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Their phones, right now, aren't likely to be refurbished at all. They wouldn't have had time to refurb many, if any, units. It's been pretty standard lractive, in the last, to ship white box new phones in place of refurbs. This is even confirmable by checking serials. Perhaps they would even allow you to do that before accepting an exchange?

But if you insist on no refurb, it sounds like Apple has answered the question. They're not wrong in telling you early am is your best bet. You can also luck out with a mid day shipment, but for obvious reasons they don't "advertise" that.

Good luck!

12. cheekyhapachick thread starter macrumors newbie

cheekyhapachick

I appreciate your help :) I didn't know they get mid day shipments and have only been checking their reserve site thing in the morning. Do you think the mid day shipment thing is an in-store only kind of thing or do you think they update their site with their mid day inventory as well? Thanks again :)

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'll add that I'm I the USA. It might be different elsewhere, but I know, as fact, that they do get mid day shipments here. One of those locations was even in a middle of nowhere (Iowa) location lol.

As far as mid day stock updates I would imagine that's how it works. You should see it in the site. I can't personally confirm this though.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I would call Applecare and ask them to get the store to reserve you one. Say that as an existing customer with a fault you shouldn't be expected to check their website every morning as if you were a new punter looking to score a phone. That's what I said to the rep and she duly obliged. Then to my amazement the store actually had one there and then for me, and I had called them in the afternoon myself, checking for stock, so it wasn't like they'd had a new shipment or anything.

15. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

If you setup your phone as new (rather than restoring from a backup) do you still experience the same issues?

16. cheekyhapachick thread starter macrumors newbie

cheekyhapachick

Yes. I have tried all of the solutions in the lag/freeze issue thread to no avail. I really wanted to avoid returning the phone at all as I already have a $50 screen protector on it lol. I showed video/pictures of what the phone is doing to the guys at the Apple store and they were all immediately like "Yikes! Yeah, you should exchange that" lol

17. cheekyhapachick thread starter macrumors newbie

cheekyhapachick

I wish I could give you a million thumbs up! I totally agree with what you've said. I think I will try both checking the stock again mid day and calling Apple Care :) ty ty ty <3

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm in the UK and maybe I got a good Apple Care rep, or perhaps my local store was more compliant with her. I have no idea but her initial advice was that she could send me a new phone with a hold on my card, or I could check the website every morning. It was me who suggested the 'third way'...

19. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

That's too bad. I agree with another poster here, call Apple and ask them if they can reserve one for you, it's unreasonable to ask a customer to constantly have to check each day.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'll also add that my phone has no carrier involvement. It's a SIM-free unlocked phone bought at full retail price from an Apple store. I have no idea if that has any bearing.

21. cheekyhapachick thread starter macrumors newbie

cheekyhapachick

Well no go with Apple Care. They only said they would send me a refurbished replacement phone with a hold on my credit card.

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Hmm, that's surprising if in your 14 days and with the phones being so new I wouldn't have thought that they have any refurbs yet. If I were you I would take yours back for a refund and then source another brand new unit.

23. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

The reforms right now are new, just labelled differently. I was in a similar situation, and my refurb was week 36 production while original phone was week 37.

24. techedude macrumors regular

I had the same issue with serious lag on my 128GB 6S Plus. iOS 9 that came installed and even the next update were horrible. I signed up for the 9.1 public beta and now my phone is smooth as can be. It's definitely not hardware related so stop trying to return phones. The software is buggy. iOS 9.1 beta 3 is the fix. Do it and you will be happy!!!

25. Trin813 macrumors member

Trin813

Amazing..I've read people drop their phone and break screens getting brand new free replacements from Apple yet you have a software issue within your time frame and they make you jump thru hoops...yuck good luck sir