Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

immaterialgirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
For past year I've had my desktop Intel iMac and my TV side by side, but now I want to move my computer to my office and I'm trying to figure out he best way that I could still view content from my computer (streamed tv shows, movies, YouTube) from the comfort of my living room on my Samsung flatscreen... :cool:

I was considering AppleTV until I looked into it and realized it only mostly accesses iTunes or FrontRow, so I'm trying to figure a plan B that doesn't use cables if possible.
A preliminary web search yielded some wireless solutions such as http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...mac-tv-connectivity/gwb-4000/prodGWB4000.html and http://www.amazon.com/Warpia-Wireless-Projector-Display-Converter/dp/B002XISRJS/ref=pd_cp_e_0 but neither of these solutions seem that Mac friendly and I'm starting to feel like I'm going round in circles.

Have any of you a similar setup as I'm looking for?
I'd love to hear any and all ideas or solutions!
Many thanks

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The AppleTV has 802.11n and local storage 40-160Gb *can be upgraded unofficially to 320Gb

You can either run a nearby computer running iTunes with a massive HD and it will automatically be added / removed from the ATV my movies selection.
or
Hack the ATV to use a shared NAS or USB drive.
or
A MacMini (Frontrow)

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Bite the bullet, buy a mac mini use it in your living room and move everything from your iMac to the mini. It will cost more, but it will save you LOTS of headaches.

A wireless HDMI + optical solution will cost you roughly 300 dollars, and at that point you are half way there to a computer that will do all that and more and NOT be in another room other than the one your TV is in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.