Trying to figure out if I would regret buying an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by salmoally, Jun 6, 2012.

1. salmoally macrumors regular

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else who went from laptop to desktop and how they found it? I've never owned a desktop and it feels like a huge disadvantage not being able to move it easily but at the same time I've always envied the price-peformance ratio.

My current laptop is almost dead and I only want to spend money on one computer a laptop or desktop.

Would love to hear any experiences/reasons of why you went iMac over a Macbook Pro.

(I know I could buy and test but I'm trying to figure out if I would be happy say 3 months down the line.)

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Personally I find the big desktop + the iPad to be a perfect combination.

3. salmoally thread starter macrumors regular

I've been thinking about that. I'm a textile designer and freelance illustrator and have thought about using an iPad as a portfolio and to sketch ideas to show clients.

4. 184550 Guest

When my HP laptop died in June of 2010 I was thinking the same thing.

I ultimately ended up getting an iMac and it was a great decision. I don't know about you, but with my HP laptop I had an 20 inch monitor hooked up, speakers, external hard drive and a mouse. It was never a mobile setup for me in the first place. Plus I had just finished undergrad and didn't need the portability/ mobility.

If you need a mobile device, then it's a great excuse to get an iPad. :p

----------

Exactly what I did.

5. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Not sure what your budget is, but you could buy a laptop and a TBD and get the best of both worlds ... mobility when you need it, a "desktop" when you don't.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

That's actually a perfect application for the iPad. It excels at the "Portfolio" aspect (and your work will look stunning on the Retina display), and there's a few painting/drawing apps that are just starting to catch on.

7. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I actually sold my 13" MBA and got an iMac + iPad instead. As others have said, this gives you the perfect balance of OS X and iOS. In my case, the iMac is basically a very expensive desk ornament, since I only use it to house my media. I only get on it to run updates, download media, and sync new content to my iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

8. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Echo this. I realized as a notebook user trying to do it all on my laptop, that I was losing out on both the power of a desktop and REAL portability like an iPad. The only regret I have had on buying my iMac is that I did not buy a higher-end configuration right off the bat. I've upgraded the RAM, but the HDD is a much more difficult proposition, and I'd rather I had just maxed it out to begin with. When I order a new Mac next week, I will rock the SSD and add the largest configurable HDD they offer, and probably take the fastest CPU and GPU options too, since those are completely non-upgradeable. I'll still max out the RAM later on my own from OWC. That seems to be the most economical way to go if you want to get an iMac that will be useful for a long time.

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I made a mistake by purchasing a top of the line 2011 iMac. It was great when it worked. Feels just like a MacPro (well, almost) and 6970M is decent too. Upgraded the RAM to 12GB, I was using it intensively for gaming, working, editing. And it was fast.

But yeah, several months later the display getting dirty and smudged (common problem actually). And it came back again months later, and 2 weeks ago I had to brought it back again since it cant get past white screen while booting.

WTF .. 3 consecutive problems on less than a year old machine?!! :mad: .. Now the MacPro has showed a life sign, I really really feel more sorry to have purchased an iMac. What can I do really? It was the best Mac I could buy. MacPro was an outdated $2500 machine (without display) when I bought my iMac. You wouldnt buy it either, would you? :(

Maybe it's just me having a bad luck with my iMac. But I do think iMac is more likely and easily to have a problem more than a MacPro could.
    So yeah, rather than consider about going with iMac, I'd rather go with the new MacPro as a REAL DESKTOP (upgradeable and enough cooling), they're being updated soon and that makes it worth every penny.

10. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I have an fixed postion iMac (see my signature file). To tell you the truth, I use a laptop 95% of the time. Guess what I'm using now? re: Watching TV (Criminal Minds show), in my comfortable rocking chair - rocking back and forth and using a 17" laptop - on my lap). For my general home use tasks (with NO gaming), my next system will be a laptop. If purchase dollars was not a concern, I'd problably get a MBP with 8 GBs of RAM and remove its internal HDD and replace with large SSD. Thus, no moving parts. And, it would have large amount of different ports. I hear MBP with SSD is amazing fast, silent to low heat machine. But if dollars was a concern (because I still haven't won the lotto - to afford an Apple laptop), I'd get a Asus or Lenova laptop using Win 7 instead. Use it for 2-3 year years, toss it out and get another low cost laptop replacement. Bottom line.... If portability is your highest priority, then get a portable. And, enjoy its portability (and full wireless movement) - like I do.

Hope this helps in your "portable or fixed position desktop system?" research...

11. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Its simple depends on your needs.If you like an all in one computer with big good quality screen go for iMac if your you need portability go for macbook pro.

12. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

After years of only having laptops, I picked up an iMac and a TBD. I couldn't stand the differences of symmetry so the iMac was returned and traded for a Mini and a 2nd TBD. If next week brings Mac Pros that can use the TBDs hanging off of dedicated graphics cards, I think the Mini will be sent to eBay.

13. Overg macrumors 6502

same here

Thinking exactly on the same thing.
    I own old laptop, connected to monitor, and all the other stuff.
    I also have ipad, so I don't use the laptop any more ( I bought it when I Was a student.)

So I am in position to buy a new iMac.
    only problem is that I read more and more about how fragile the iMac is,
    from what I read it's full of malfunctions in the hardware, too many people write that their iMac died on the first year and so.
    I guess that since Steve was working with Macbook pro most of the time, this computer is the most stable. So I Am going back and-forth with laptop VS iMac.
    what do you say ?

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yeah, that's right and is exactly what happened. I saw leaked videos of Steve personally assembling the Macbook Pros and checking every circuit with an oscilloscope. Then at the end Tim Cook was trying to assemble the iMac and Steve kept bumping him on purpose. Steve would not let Tim use his oscilloscope and in the end Tim just didn't have enough time to incorporate the user-removable hard drive that he wanted in the iMac. Steve also sabotaged the orders for the good screens to make sure that Tim's iMac only got rubbish screens. That's why things are like they are now.

True story.

In another secret interview the board of Apple admitted that they hate all the Macs, except for the Macbook Pro, so they made them unreliable on purpose.

Also true story.

Then there was also someone using logic saying that a small minority of people have problems with their Mac computers and most people don't even know what a forum is. Therefore it is illogical to make any kind of statistical claim based on what one reads on forums.

This one sounds completely fake and implausible to me.

15. Overg macrumors 6502

First, lame sarcastic answer you gave..
    just for your general knowledge.. ( work on your comic skills...)

Second, you do understand that I don't base my assumptions only from what I read in this forum, right?

and third, yes, when a CEO use personally one product of the company, he can give the design team some remarks and inputs from his personal experience. Adding the fact that Steve was a nuts on details I guess that most of his remarks on the product was implemented immediately, also I guess he attended most of the important meetings on the MAcbook pro.

And finally I think that MAcbook pro is number one Mac in sales .

16. paulbee, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

paulbee macrumors member

I'm in the middle of the transition from laptop to iPad+iMac. (I have the iPad, but I'm waiting for the new iMacs to come out.) To be honest I think the iPad is worth having anyway, and it's what I use most of the time now, except when I'm working. I started practicing for the iMac by not moving my laptop from my desk, and that hasn't seemed very inconvenient to me so far. I'm happy to use the iPad when I want to be sitting on the couch, or in bad, or whatever. If you're concerned, you could go ahead and get the iPad, pretend that your existing laptop is chained to the desk, and see how you do.

17. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I use the iMac + iPad combo at home as well. I thought about getting a Macbook and an external monitor, but I know it would just sit in the office 99% of the time so I might as well get an iMac.

18. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Firstly depending on where you read of these iMac first year deaths, there are likely thousand to one ration for people who have had no problems with theirs. I bought the top of the line iMac in 2009, been riding her hard and putting her away wet for 3 years now and the ONLY problem I have had was a bit of a smudging developing on the screen within the second year of the warranty. I had a dude come to my house (Apple certified under Apple Care), he examined it and replaced my LCD. No problems since then.

Flash forward to 2011 and despite Lion, my fathers 21.5" iMac is working very well for him also.

I don't plan on replacing my iMac until it dies and then perhaps I might consider a Mac Mini since I have a spare 27" monitor, keyboard etc which is hooked up to my gaming PC.

19. leman macrumors 604

An iPad would never replace a proper computer to me, it's simply too constrained. It may be excellent for light note taking or as a portfolio etc., but not for much more.

Currently, laptops are almost as powerful as desktops. Since sandy bridge, laptop CPUs are very close to the desktop ones. The only thing the desktop does better is a bigger screen (and lower price, of course).

So if you have to choose, a MacBook pro is almost as fast and much more flexible.

20. Liquinn Suspended

I've got a Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Macbook Pro, Thunderbolt Display; the perfect combination. I may get an Air at some point though.

Everyone's needs are different I guess.

21. Stolz25 macrumors member

It doesn't replace a computer for me, but it replaces everything I need a laptop for. If I am surfing the internet, checking email, playing casual games, etc, I am usually on the couch with my ipad.

For app development, video conversion or real gaming I go sit down at my desktop.

The ipad actually is better for me, as I can do all the laptop stuff, plus it acts as an ereader as well. I'd never sit down and read a book on a laptop.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Couldn't agree more. I use my iPad more and more. Our laptop just sits in a cupboard taking up room. iPad for casual, desktop for work is the perfect combination for me. Now I just need the new iMac to be released and I'm sorted.

23. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

If you are a casual user or a gamer I really see no reason to get a mac.
    Casual user can use an ipad or a cheap notebook for anything you need to do.

If your a "real" gamer your going to want to install windows on your machine to begin with. On top of that even the top video card hardware in any mac is just not any good compared to what you can get in a pc. You can honestly pay about 1/2 the price and get a better performing pc.

If you are a developer or designer(maybe) then I can see a good reason to get a mac. Honestly the only reason I use a mac is because thats the only legal/legit way to run xcode and develop apps.

24. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Indeed. For example: your setup, while impressive, would not be very effective as a home media editor/server/archiver and personal use computer. A beefy iMac or Mac Pro would perform very well in that role. Portability would be of no value but storage and raw horsepower would be of great value.

25. Liquinn Suspended

Thanks.I sorts wish I got a 27" iMac now but I do like if I get another Macbook I can always use a Macbook with the TBD.