Trying to figure out the cause of my poor battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Stankonia, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Stankonia macrumors regular

Since receiving my iPhone 4 last week, I have been dealing with extremely short battery life. What's weird is that this problem seems to only happen at home and not at work.

I first noticed a problem when I woke up a few days ago with a dead phone. The next night I made sure it was fully charged before going to sleep and woke up with it dead again. (note: I keep push/bluetooth, etc turned off)

I called Apple and they had me try restoring the phone and setting it up as a new device in case it was caused by a bad backup. I did that and the next morning the phone was at 40% (better than 0%, but still extremely poor battery life).

I called Apple back and they had me try restoring again, but without syncing my apps in case an app was causing the drain. The next morning, I was around 40% once again. Apple then agreed to exchange my phone (which I will be doing tomorrow).

Ok, so bad battery, Apple is replacing it. Sounds easy enough, right? Here is what makes me wonder:

Tonight at work I have been keeping my phone in standby to see how quickly it drains (since 8 hours at work would be close to the same as the time it drains while I sleep).

Currently, after 5 hours, the phone is only down to 90%. Now unless the phone suddenly starts draining in the next 3 hours, it looks like my phone has much better battery life at work than at home.

The only differences between the two locations is that at home I keep Wifi on, while at work it is on 3G. Since Wifi switches off after a few minutes in standby, this should not cause battery drain. Have any of you heard of iPhone wifi failing to turn off in standby? If so, that could be the cause of my problem.

The other difference is that I get 5 bars of 3G at work, but only 2-3 bars at home. This shouldn't cause battery drain in standby, should it? I doubt it, since I didn't have this issue with my 3GS, but who knows.

Anyway, this might not even matter anymore after I replace the phone tomorrow, but I am just trying to figure out why this would happen at home but not work (in case it happens again, or in case this is happening to any of you)

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Are you using N or G WiFi at home? Just curious

3. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Doesn,t the new iOS4 keep wi-fi on even in standby?
    I remember reading it somewhere.Sorry to be vague but i hope it can help your problem.
    Good Luck:)

4. Stankonia thread starter macrumors regular

G

5. Stankonia thread starter macrumors regular

I read that as well, but it turns out it is only for the iPod Touches