Trying to fix my husband's iPod Touch in time for Father's Day

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by operamom, Jun 10, 2009.

1. operamom macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone.

My husband has a 2nd gen iPod Touch which was, unfortunately, water-damaged about 2.5 weeks ago. I've done the rice thing and let it sit for a long two weeks.

It turns on (hooray!) and the touchscreen is completely functional. However, the home button is non-responsive (it was a little touchy to begin with, but I realize that is a pretty common complaint) and the LCD is really dark, as in, even on the brightest setting, you can barely see what's on the screen.

I was able to get iTunes to recognize it and restored the settings, hoping that might help. It didn't seem to change anything.

What do you suggest? Are these the type of problems that I could hire a local iPod guru to easily (and inexpensively) fix? Or would it be more cost effective for me to purchase a used Touch with twice the memory of the first one for $125?

Thanks so much, I really am at a loss. I usually discuss electronics issues with my husband, but he's been so morose since the death of his Touch, I really wanted this to be a huge happy surprise for him.

2. tucker61 macrumors regular

You could try a apple genius in the store.
    Be honest and tell them what has happened. You might catch them on a good day.
    Worst case scenerio they Might let you trade in against a new iPod.
    Good luck.

3. operamom thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I neglected to mention: my husband took it in to the Mac store about a week after the immersion. They said no dice on replacing it and said it wasn't worth fixing. However, at that time it wouldn't even turn on.

4. Dino451 macrumors 6502

5. jmckee macrumors newbie

Well, the mainboard is most likely the problem. Is not a cheap part either, runs about $180 for the part, and $35 labor.... I repair ipod touch's, but would not recommend this repair, as for another $15-30, you can have a brand new one!

If you DO buy a new one, I would be interested in yours for parts! Please, let me know what happens...

Jerrod
    DroppedLaptop.com