Trying to get an idea of font size on a hi-res 15" MBP? - try this

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Apr 30, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

If you have a 1440 x 900 15" MBP and you reduce the screen to 80% in Firefox or Safari I think it's very close to the font size you'll find standard on the hi-res screens.

Then to get an idea whether or not you're pleased with the font size try using your notebook at this setting for a few days.

My initial experience with the small fonts on the hi-res screens in the area's were the fonts couldn't easily be resized I didn't like it at all the first few hours I typed on it -then- I started to like it, the fonts are smaller but sharp and crisp I was getting sold on the idea of the hi-res screens. Finally, after a few days using the laptop for long periods of time I found my eyes where "much" more strained, not because I couldn't enlarge the fonts on the page I was typing on it was everything else; menu text etc ... glancing and refocusing to view the smaller fonts became tiring on the eyes, making them feel dry/heavy.

I then went back to the 1440 x 900 screen and the eye strain disappeared. I wanted to buy and like the hi-res screen, but not doable for me.

This post was meant to help anyone who's trying to decide what to do but isn't near an Apple Store to take a look for themselves.

The above font size should also be similar.

*** Keeping in mind it will look more sharp and crisp on the hi-res display.

2. a4209797 macrumors member

forgive me, i'm a mac newb. i'm aware how to zoom, but how do i make sure it's at 80%

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

In Firefox you can set it in the preferences, in Safari you may need a plug in?

4. aa521490 macrumors regular

Try Command and minus sign, I think. Command and plus sign, too.

5. shadygrove macrumors regular

command and the zero key will return it back to the default too. ;)

6. a4209797 macrumors member

yep, i can zoom in and out. but there is nothing that says what percentage you are at.

7. OnAirNow macrumors newbie

Would trying this on a Win laptop with a res of 1280x800 give a broadly similar result do you think? I'm guessing zooming out twice (ctrl+- x2) takes the screen to 80%?

Thanks