Trying to get an iPhone 3G 8GB for $199, but my 2yr contract is not up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reminisce32, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

So here is the situation. I went to get the iPhone 3G today but they would not let me get it for $199 before my contract ends even though it ends in 2 months. I really don't feel like waiting so I thought of something. My little sisters 2 year contract with AT&T is already up but she is not interested in a new phone so I figured I could purchase the iPhone for $199 via a 2 year contract under her phone number and then possibly switch the sim cards or something so I'd have my number... or deactivate the iphone under her account then take it to AT&T and activate it under my account.. I don't know. Would I be able to do this some how cause I really don't feel like waiting another 2 months. help :(.

2. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Wait 4 more months (July) for the new one, I think you will regret it if you buy one now. Your iPhone will only be new for 3 months until you start grumbling about why you didn't wait for the new iPhone which has alot more to offer.

3. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

That's exactly what I was worried about.. lol. What is the new one? any details or link I could look at? and Do you think it will be as cheap as the Iphone 3g? I heard rumors about the Iphone nano but I don't think that pertains me because i think its everything BUT a phone, and I need a phone and everything else.

4. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Of course it will be as cheap, Apple needs it to be affordable.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

This tuesday we will find out more. Its when apple will talk about the iPhone three OS possible about hardware as well.

6. Ekelon macrumors newbie

They have talked about a trade-in program also. So if you were to buy a new iPhone now and keep it in fair condition you could supposedly trade it back for like $100... I got an iphone like 3 weeks ago and I totally do not regret it. Also, I got it 1 and a half month before my contract expired. You are allowed to buy an iPhone and begin a new 2 year contract if you are at least 21 months into your contract. So you should be able to get it for your own number. Also, I do think you can switch the SIM cards but let the AT&T do that. The AT&T guys told me if anything ever happened to my iPhone and I wanted a new one I could buy it for the 2-year contract price with any other of the lines in our family plan and they could just swap it out for me. So basically you can get as many iPhone replacements as you have lines.

7. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Ekelon, Thanks for the advice. Is the 2 year contract literally 24 months because I am 2 months away and they wouldnt let me get the 2 year contract price, they said I had to wait til the WHOLE 2 years is over because Apple is strict or whatever. But according to the last thing you said, I guess I can just go to AT&T and get a the iphone under a new 2 year contract under my sisters phone line and then switch it to my # I am assuming.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Do some people not understand that we get phone discounts because we agree to have a contract for a certain term? Yes, it kinda sucks, but I'd rather get a $199 phone and have to be on a contract for two years (which is not 20 or 22 months) instead of being charged $500 to float around anywhere.

You're going to just have to wait until you're eligible like every other bloody person alive.

9. -amy- macrumors newbie

Right. I got my iphone last weekend, and the at&t people would not let me upgrade ONE DAY early. I tried on Saturday and was told I had to wait until Sunday. Maybe others have had better luck convincing at&t to let them upgrade early, but I sure didn't.

10. Tate macrumors member

Hmm, I got my wife a new IPhone back in Nov and I beleave it was 3 months early.