trying to hook my macbook aluminum to my tv (pictures included)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pinocchio07, Jul 11, 2010.

1. pinocchio07 macrumors newbie

I'm reading on multiple sites different things I will need for my tv. Just to clear things up I took pictures. Do any of you guys know what I will need in order to hook my MacBook up to this tv? I want audio and video capabilities. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify: You have to make sure that the mini display port to HDMI adapter you are buying ALSO supports audio. Not all of them do.

Other than that you can take a mini display port to VGA or to HDMI (or RCA, but you probably won't want that) in addition to an audio cable to the audio input (you have to change audio source on tv as well).

4. pinocchio07 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, do they sell whatever it is you are talking about at best buy? if so could you link me to the product, if not is it in the apple store online?

5. ColinM macrumors member

Judging by the lack of a Firewire port and having an audio in AND an audio out, your Laptop won't push audio out through a MiniDP to HDMI dongle. Here's what I use for my MBP, and it works great.

Kanex iDapt HDMI

Works like a charm and is only 4.70

RiteAV - 3.5mm to Stereo RCA Male Cable - 6 ft.

Works great, is cheap, and gets the Audio to the TV. With shipping, this is all around $10.

I'm assuming you have an HDMI cord, but if not...

HDMI to HDMI 6 Foot Cable

$2.28, and works fantastically. No need for anything more expensive than that, as they all work the same.

Plug the Minidisplay port end of the dongle into your computer, plug the of the HDMI cord into the Dongle, and plug the HDMI cord into your TV. Then plug the 3.5mm Headphone jack into your computer, and plug the two RCA ends into their respective colors under HDMI1 In.

I use this same setup to play WoW, watch TV shows, and it's beautiful. Have fun!

6. pinocchio07 thread starter macrumors newbie

this sounds like the perfect and CHEAP set up, thanks!

but i'm trying to avoid having to order online, i found at best buy today:
    this dvi to hdmi cable and the mini displayport to dvi adapter and I already own a 3.5mm headphone jack cable, would this set up work as well?

I know the other way seems cheaper, and it is but I have a friend who works at best buy and can get me the other set up for about 20 bucks and I won't have to worry about shipping/handling.

7. ColinM macrumors member

I can see your point, however I had a very similar setup and it did not look nearly as nice. I have that same Apple made adapter, and then an DVI-HDMI dongle attached to that, and then an HDMI cord. First off, I had problems with it getting to the right aspect ratio, and secondly it was much more pixely, and in general wasn't as sharp. The less the signal has to change while going through cords, the better.

In the end it is your decision.