Trying to hook up 1 center speaker, and 2 side speakers to Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PieterK123, Apr 13, 2009.

1. PieterK123 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a 5.1 Logitech X-530 sound system, but since my desk isn't that big I only use the center speaker, the subwoofer, and the left and right speaker.

The cable coming from the subwoofer splits in a red/orange, black, and green cable. If I plug in the green one in my headphone jack the left and right speaker are working + subwoofer.

If I'm correct, the orange jack is for the center speaker. So I borrowed a headphone splitter from my roommate, thinking it would solve the problem because now I could plug in the orange and green cable.

I was wrong, with that kind of setup, I hear sound from my left and center speaker, but not from my right speaker...

My 'Audio/MIDI config' looks like this:
    Audio Outgoing: Source: Headphones (can't change that)
    2 ch/ 16 bits

Is there someone who knows the answer to this problem? I'm not expecting to get surround sound, but I just want to hear sound from all three speakers!

Thanks already

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

To get surround sound, your amp must be able to decode matrix surround through analog (e.g., Dolby Pro Logic) or digital through optical (e.g., Dolby Digital, DTS).

3. PieterK123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply,

Yeah I already figured that surround sound isn't going to work.

But isn't it possible to divide the two way channel stream ( left and right ) over three speakers?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't know how you'd do it for your system. My JBL Creatures are designed around three speakers, but your system seems to be designed around the typical Windows analog way (i.e., 3 miniplugs).

5. PieterK123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah you're probably right, bummer :mad:... I had faith in solving this issue!