Trying to install ubuntu on new macbook, but keyboard and hard drive can't be recoganized...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dumplinghao123, Jul 11, 2015.

1. dumplinghao123 macrumors newbie

I recently got the new macbook because of its supreme mobility. I never used a mac before, and have decided to put ubuntu on it before I even purchased it. However the process is way too painful, and I am cornered here...

I followed instructions online, and here is what I did:

I installed rEFInd 0.8.7 on mac to have boot options. I make a live CD (ubuntu 14.04) to boot from. Once it boots up, according to some tutorials, I should boot into the legacy loader, but that gave me error, the one I could boot into is called grub64xxx. From that I can get into the options to install ubuntu, once I get into the purple screen, the keyboard is not working, mouse is not working... The keyboard is not even lit up.

So to deal with that, I bought a usb hub and attach mouse and keyboard to it. The external keyboard and mouse do work, and I can click the button to go the next step, however, now ubuntu live CD told me I don't have enough space to install, even though I do have enough space to install 10 ubuntus. I can see that ubuntu doesn't recognize my hard drive. If I attach a usb stick to it, it will recognize that however and let me install on the usb stick...

I think the problem is, once I boot from anything other than Mac system, all the hardwares are not working at all! Is there anyway I can work around this? This model is fairly new, hence not many helpful information online yet. I am really struggling since this is a big purchase and I can't return it any more. Or I have to learn the Mac system, which might actually take me a while... And I use ubuntu on all my other PCs, this would be kinda painful.

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I assume you are talking about the new 12" Macbook? It may be because it's too new and Ubuntu can't recognize the new hardware.

3. dumplinghao123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the new one. I wish I had thought about this before... Now I have to wait for new ubuntu release?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You said that you tried installing Ubuntu 14.04
    Ubuntu has had two full releases since, and is current now at version 15.04
    I don't know if a newer version will help with the hardware issues, but it may be one choice, as it may provide support for the USB-C port, I don't know if the force-touch trackpad will be supported at all. The keyboard lighting will almost certainly be an issue, too.

5. dumplinghao123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried 15.04, still the same :(

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've got a Ubuntu USB boot drive. I'll give it a go on mine in a couple of hours.

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Try a different flavor of Linux. Something like Mint 17.2 which is based on Ubuntu. I am curious.

8. dumplinghao123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! At least I can know if this just happens to me. Let me know!

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

defiantly an issue with the keyboard, mouse and ssd. looking at it its defiantly a usb c issue. as noted in your first post the dongle woks but this is due to the usb3 emulation that takes place.

10. QuarzSword macrumors newbie

You guys are not alone, I got really excited when I saw the instructions on the ubuntu site that helped me make a USB install and really thought it was going to work. I also have keyboard and touchpad problems, I guess they are just not supported yet:/

11. QuarzSword macrumors newbie

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There is no way 3.14 is going to support the MacBook, 3.14 is pretty old at this point.

@OP
    It looks like USB C support is in 4.1 so you're going to have to wait, compile a kernel, or install Gentoo or Arch.

14. hank moody macrumors 6502

hank moody

i want to do this too.

These problems are already fixed with ubuntu 15.10 ?