Trying To Keep My Unlimited Plan Do You Think This Will Work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robEstyles, Sep 13, 2012.

1. robEstyles macrumors newbie

Hey Guys. Alot of you are in the same boat as I am trying to keep your unlimited data without having to pay the unsubsidized price. When I talked to Verizon today they said in order to keep my bill the same as it is now I would have to get the individual 2gb plan. I am currently on a family plan with 4 phones. Here is my thought.

There are 3 smart phones currently on my family plan all with unlimited data. If I upgrade to the iPhone 5 with one of the numbers and then de-activate it on that number and re-activate it on another number. The number that I originally activated the phone on would have the 2GB limit but the other number would not.

My plan is to upgrade with my wife's phone number and then change it to my number so her number would have the 2gb limit and mine would have unlimited. She only uses about 300 megs a month as it is so she doesn't really care.

I'm sure Verizon has thought of this and it probably wont work but what to you guys think?

2. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Why don't you just transfer one of the upgrades to your line? That's the best option.

3. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Yes, you can do exactly that.

You'll have to activate the new phone on her line first, which would initiate her 2 GB contract. Then you activate her old phone back onto her line, thus leaving the iPhone 5 without a phone number. Then you activate the iPhone 5 on your own line, keeping your unlimited data plan. And of course, now you do whatever you'd like with your phone number-less old phone.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think you should ask your wife if she is willing to lose the unlimited data plan. Just saying…

5. robEstyles thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha don't worry I already did. She said as long as she gets my old iPhone she doesn't care what I do.

6. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Just make sure that they send you two sim cards. I did this recently with an LTE phone and I had to use two. One to activate on the upgrade line, then the second sim to transfer to my number. I hope Verizon will send two nano sim cards because I'm adding a new line, then transferring to my number to keep my unlimited.

7. robEstyles thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I think about it couldn't I do this even for my next upgrade in 2 years as long as I always transfer the upgrade to the phone number that has the 2gb plan.

8. Theicool macrumors member

Theicool

9. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but you may want to check with Verizon about this first. They call the new plans family share plans for a reason. If you were to upgrade your wife's line to the share plan that means that all lines that are associated with her's would automatically default to sharing the 2 GB instead of keeping the unlimited. Now if she has her own separate account that is another story. But if she is on your same account trying to upgrade using her's to keep unlimited will not work. Granted Verizon has been known to do really funky stuff depending on who you talk to, so maybe you can pull it off. I doubt it.

10. brandct macrumors member

Was told by many reps that you can select the 2GB option for a single line for 30 dollars as that is what was associated with the old plans that you can still keep. They want everyone to go to Share Everything but at this point are not making people. His plan should go off without a hitch but he would have to do the upgrade on her line and not transfer it to his.

11. smeech macrumors newbie

What about this

My wife's line already has the 2gb plan on her iPhone 4s. My iPhone 4s has the unlimited data. She is due for an upgrade. If I upgrade her to an iPhone 5, activate it and then deactivate it, can I now activate the iPhone 5 on my line and keep my unlimited plan?

12. spacebetween macrumors regular

All your questions and the additional questions you'll end up having are pretty much all answered here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439872

Lots of good information. Please read through it.

13. GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

14. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

Not sure why u have to go through all this cause when I upgraded at at&t for the 4s they kept me on the same plan I had with my 3G iPhone. N I plan on doing the same thing when I get the 5.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Exactly.

16. smeech macrumors newbie

At&t

At&t is not requiring you to change plans. Only Verizon